I ate out to what I thought was a healthy choice. WRONG

Options
My kids and I ate out at a Vietnamese resturant. I had the rice noodle salad, which I thought was healthy. Then induldged in some cream cheese wontons because I had enough calories left for dinner.

What a bad thing to do. By the time that I entered all the info I was OVER!!

I feel soo bad for thinking that I could have eaten out.
:cry:

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Going over is a good thing once in a while. Keeps your metabolism kicked into high gear! Experts recommend a cheat meal a week. Don't worry about it! One meal won't make any difference. Relax :D
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. Please don't be discouraged or beat yourself up. It's just one meal :)
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of good Vietnamese options that you could go for next time. They use tons of vegetables and lean meats in their cuisine. Next time try something noodle/rice free.
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Compare what you ate today, to what you would have usually eaten at on a dinner out. You're making life long choices here. You can't avoid restaurants forever, but look at how far you have come!

You might be over today, but don't let that get you down. Just focus on the positive and pick it back up tomorrow!

Good Luck!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    How much over? Regardless, you have to be really careful when eating out because even the 'healthy' choices can pack a mean whallop (as you well know now). I say chalk it up as a learning experience, perhaps see if the restaurant you're going to has nutrition info you can check out before you go so it doesn't happen again. If all else fails, there's always the, "Please bring half of the meal to me in a take-out box," methods.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've been in this position. It sucks!

What I do now:

- I check the menu/nutritional info out online if I can ahead of time.

- I make sure I get a good workout in beforehand to earn some extra calories.

- I go out, try to make the healthiest choice possible, and enjoy the company.

Don't let your weight loss hinder your ability to leave your house for dinner. Learn how to adapt to the possibility of a restaurant meal, and find ways to work it in to your calorie allowance :)
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I got a 1/2 cobb dressing on the side at Islands last night out with a friend and was mortified to see it come in at nearly 950 calories (no wonder it was so good!). But, it was the best choice available.
  • Lauren_Whitney
    Lauren_Whitney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay! Just keep on the right track and don't weigh yourself tomorrow or you might get discouraged. It will probably go up from water weight from the sodium, but that one meal won't hurt you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think we have all done that. Don't sweat it! :)

For reference, you can't really go wrong with a lean meat and vegetable dish.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    live. learn. move on.
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can eat out, you just need to make good choices. For instance, I cannot go to a buffet..I will go over board!! I will get steamed rice over fried rice or fruit instead of ice cream.

On another note, I have finally learned to stop feeling guilty over a bad meal. I did read on here a while back that if you mess up on one meal, that one meal does not have to spoil the rest of your day or week. So, I try to keep that in mind that if I go crazy for lunch, I need to eat a sensible dinner.

Hope that helps.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    stressing over one meal would probably do more damage than the actual cals if that is what you had :smile:

relax, Guuuuuuuuuussssfffaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :tongue:
  • amyschn
    amyschn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out 3-5 times a week, but I have now limited myself to once a week at my favorite Mexican place, we used to go there at least twice a week if not more. I think that once a week treat helps keep me on track the rest of week, I have noticed that I don't crave it like I used it which is good. I keep my calories low that day so I don't have to worry about it when I order and it really does feel like a treat. The scale is still going in the right direction so I think you need that once a week extra.....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I feel soo bad for thinking that I could have eaten out.

Why? You did eat out. How was it? I hope it was delicious. You went over your calories today? So now what does this mean in the whole scheme of things?

I feel so bad that you think it was such a bad idea to eat out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat out - treat this as a learning experience - with practice, it gets easier to make a healthier choice.
    But, if there aren't great choices on the menu - it really doesn't matter as long as it doesn't happen too often. One meal is not going to RUIN EVERYTHING! Just go back to regular healthy eating tomorrow, and try to plan ahead next time if you can.
  • Mamas7
    Mamas7 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the support!! Today I ate my calories and started the 30 Day Shred. I feel a lot better.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Oh man I LOVE cream cheese wontons!! I hope you ate a few for me too!
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over one meal. We all need to enjoy what we're eating, even if every once in a while it isn't the "best" choice available. Think of it this way - if you had one cheat meal for the week, then on a 3 meals a day routine, you still had 95% good meals. That's AWESOME, especially if you think about what percentage of good meals you used to eat before aiming to make healthy choices. If you're really concerned about eating out, try to find something that sounds more like what you know you should eat normally: not slathered in oil or sugar, less refined grains, more vegetables, etc. But really, you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    When I eat out...I eat half my meal..pack the rest up and take it home..at least the damage is minimal, and i've not worried about healthy choices..I ate what I wanted and did half the damage..lol don't beat yourself up..tomorrow low cal day..zigzag those calories, most efficient way of keeping the body in check.