Counting Calories Vs. Counting Fat.

Options
I've only been doing my fitness pal for about 2 weeks now and this time around i haven't gone completely healthy. Normally I come from a home where we eat out on a near daily basis. I've been using the calorie counter to budget out my calories and I've been trying to make sure I'm pretty much always at least a little bit under, never over but because occasionally now I still eat out and try to eat healthier things from the menu, I'm still finding myself going over half the time on my fat goal. I haven't been paying it too much mind because I thought if I just focused on calories I was doing a good job. So my question is, which one is more important to stay on top of? I'm thinking of i just start replacing anything fat with lowfat it should fix my problem. Is that a good idea?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Going over on fat (or anything else) will not generally cause any issues with your weightloss efforts, so long as it does not cause you to also go over on your calories. Plus you can actually tweak those settings (carbs/fat/protein) to fit your particular lifestyle/diet if you want to. A lot of people tweak it to make carbs lower or protein higher. Those numbers are not a 'limit' that you have to stay under, they are just a ballpark suggestion to help you get in different nutrients. And like I said you can change it if you need to (click 'my home' then 'goals' then 'change goals' then 'custom' - then you can change the percentages that are split between carbs/fat/protein). ;-)
  • camille_1441
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advise, and WOW 35 pounds lost, that's amazing keep up your hard work, that totally inspires me to keep going!