When do you incorporate strength training?

Options
Hi all, I feel like I ask so many stupid questions on here, but I really am new to all of this so bear with me please? I'm currently weighing in at over 200 pounds so i'm trying to lose about 70 pounds, now I know enough to say that I'm not going to do just cardio that I need some strength training in there as well, but the the question is how much and when would I start? Like I said earlier I'm really new to all of this so don't know much, I also have no body strength, I have a little in my legs from when I was younger and danced, but after I screwed up my right leg and had to quite things have gotten a bit out of hand. I'd like to be kind of toned, but not have muscles bulging out all over the place, in my opinion that just looks a bit odd on a girl. Nothing against anyone else looking like that, it's your choice, just not my cup of tea.
So what that little rant is trying to ask, is should I wait a bit until I have a good cardio schedule set up, or just start now? And does anyone have any recommendations on things I should try?

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    Start today.

You'd have to try VERY HARD to get "muscles bulging out all over the place", girls just do not produce the right hormones to achieve this.

Try doing compound exercises -- squats, planks, pull ups, side planks, and reverse crunches I'm told are good (and most of them don't actually require weights). My gym has a series of machines which act as a circuit for a whole body workout, which I love :D
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    start now. :) itll be better in the long run. you wont bulk up from lifting, women really cant unless theyre taking steroids as well as very specific diets (eating at a surplus, etc) and sooo much time in the gym.

i got my program from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm - its the 12 week burn the fat program by jamie eason. start with what weights you can, and move up from there :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Start now! Lift 3 times per week with a day of rest in between lifting days. There are some very good beginner books available, check your local library or Amazon. A bunch of MFP ladies are following the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler, et.al. We even have our own group if you're interested in joining. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Also, take the time to read this article:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-women-should-never-do-but-often-do-while-trying-to-get-in-shape-part-1-of-6/

You can also get free, customized workouts from bodybuilding.com

Please don't spend a second of your time worrying about "bulking up". It simply won't/can't happen unless you're popping steroids.
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why wait?

Do you have a home gym or actually go to a gym?

Start out slow - and I mean.....work on arms, shoulders, & back for one day. Then...legs & abs another day.

For toning - do lighter weights but more reps and more sets. I generally do 3 sets of 15.

You just have to give it a try and go from there. The amount of weight I use (for different parts of my body) just depends on how hard I want to work. Every time I strength train, my muscles hurt the next day. Not overly hurt....just sore. Enough to let you know...HEY, you had a good workout.

Just be careful.... If you haven't strength trained before, start out LIGHT and see how the muscles react the next day. They usually never hurt until the next day (after you sleep). You'll eventually get a feel for your abilities.

Strength training can be as good as cardio.... My heart will race fast sometimes when I'm strength training. And I know I've working hard enough.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    odd on a girl huh...how gender stereotypical
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I feel like I ask so many stupid questions on here, but I really am new to all of this so bear with me please? I'm currently weighing in at over 200 pounds so i'm trying to lose about 70 pounds, now I know enough to say that I'm not going to do just cardio that I need some strength training in there as well, but the the question is how much and when would I start? Like I said earlier I'm really new to all of this so don't know much, I also have no body strength, I have a little in my legs from when I was younger and danced, but after I screwed up my right leg and had to quite things have gotten a bit out of hand. I'd like to be kind of toned, but not have muscles bulging out all over the place, in my opinion that just looks a bit odd on a girl. Nothing against anyone else looking like that, it's your choice, just not my cup of tea.
    So what that little rant is trying to ask, is should I wait a bit until I have a good cardio schedule set up, or just start now? And does anyone have any recommendations on things I should try?
    Start now. Keep it simple. One exercise for each body part to begin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chococ4t
    Options
    odd on a girl huh...how gender stereotypical
    Thank you for your overly helpful response.
  • Chococ4t
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you responses, I'll definitively take a look at the sites and books you have all mentioned.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can also check out women's health magazine fitness section online. They have tons of workouts you can download for free, often conveniently a list of 10 exercises as a little circuit. Lots of them are body weight exercises so you can do them at home. Quite a few suggest working to exhaustion for 50 seconds then resting for 10 and doing 2 rounds of the circuit. I would suggest doing 1 set to start, focusing on good form and doing 10 to 15 of each exercise. Also, a session with a pt to show you good form is important as well o you start off o the right track and many gyms will offer one or free.

Good luck, I really like strength training, it makes me feel invincible!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

For toning - do lighter weights but more reps and more sets. I generally do 3 sets of 15.

This is one of those myths that so many people are told but just isn't true. You can get just a toned, if not more so, doing heavier weight, lower reps. I'm not saying you need to go really low, but a lot of people start in the 6-10 region. There are many men out there doing better routines that produce faster results and women are still told often to do 3 sets of 15 (I've seen that amount in every gym I've been to) There's no need for us to train differently to men, but you will not look like them with muscles bulging everywhere. We don't have the hormones for it :) You'll just have that nice toned look.

Start off at a lighter weight that you can easily handle, until you get the form right though, that's really important. Then when you have that perfect, you can up the weight.
    The last couple of reps in any set should be a struggle but still maintaining good form.
    If you are new to strength training, have a look at "new rules of lifting for women" and "starting strength". While I haven't tried either myself, I have seen quite a few of my MFPals use them to great results and I've heard nothing but positive things :)

Good luck :)