10 days jogging swimming 1200 cal: I put on a kilo : sob!

Options
I ate up the calories I burnt and had trouble sleeping every might because I was hungry . I measured everything . I am 164.7cm tall . How do I go from here? .... I do look fitter , but not smaller . 57.4 instead of 56.6 kg. I just have a dream of getting to 54kg. Just want to get rid of some abdominal and leg fat.

Replies

• OmNom28
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You need to create more muscle to burn fat faster. You sound like you will be losing weight in no time
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You need to create more muscle to burn fat faster. You sound like you will be losing weight in no time

that is not correct. Muscle is just denser.
    You need to take pictures of yourself and measurements. Losing that little amount and being close to your goal weight is hard because your body does not want to give up the fat because it feels healthy the way it is.
    Your body might be building muscle and storing water, the extra kilo is probably just water weight
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No worries about putting on a little bit, if it keeps happening, then you're doing something wrong.
  • garyl7593
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It would help if you open your diary, could be sodium if you eat a lot of processed food, or your macro splits.
    What is your goal set to, with only a few kg to lose you should not be aiming for more than 0.5lbs per week (250 a day below maintanxe), so 1200 cals sounds low even if you eat back your exercise.
    Also it's important to take a rest day of 2 every week so your muscles can repair after exercise.
    At the end of the day inches are more important than pounds. If you could be say a size 10 and weigh 54kg, or a size8 and weigh 60kg which would you choose!!
  • bloodynoraa
    Options
    Hi,

When I first started - I did everything as I should. Kept to the calories - exercised as much as I said I did on MFP.

My goal was at 1 pound per week loss (in grams that is about 500grams so half a kilo).

After the first week I put on weight and even after the second week I put on more weight (can't remember how much but it was a couple hundred grams each time). I kept up the plan even after this. On the third week weigh in I lost 1.5kg.

-- That works out to be about a pound per week even if it is averaged :o) . Ever since then I have been loosing. 1 kilo here 500g there and that was constant - never less than 500 grams. This week however I lost 200grams. At this point I only have about 4kg to go so I think I have hit the barrier where I will have to knuckle down to get to the finish line.

My issue turned out to be I was not eating enough and at the right times. Once I tweaked that it has been great since then.

My suggestion is to keep it up for the next 3-4 weeks doing what it says and see what happens - Don't give up - Maybe report back here after that time so we can see how you went. I don't think you'll be let down.

Keep it up!

11413521.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Seriously, take your measurements. You have probably lost cms! Scales should really be thrown out the window.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you! How do I open my diary? Yes I think it could be sodium , I am guilty of lots of diet soda which I don't list! I would like to lose a pound a week but will be content with half of that. I have trouble sleeping through because I get hungry but 1200 seems adequate healthy eating as long as I exercise a bit and eat those back, during the day anyway.
  • chooklady
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Absolute Horse... The density of muscle is greater than fat, so for the same VOLUME of fat vs muscle, the muscle will weigh more. But in fact if you took a pound of fat and a pound of muscle, Lo and behold, they will weigh... the same... a pound is a pound. The fat pound will of course be larger and take up more VOLUME!
  • chooklady
    Options
    You are right. My shape is changing but that dress I bought is still the same tight. Perhaps a tape is better.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

yes, yes, yes you are right, but what people mean when they say that is per given volume, muscle weighs more than fat, the per given volume is implied- but yes, of course, we should say per given volume, say per cubic inch/centimeter whatever, the sample of muscle will weigh more than the sample of fat