Smoothies

Options
Does anyone have some good smoothie recipes? I have thought about trying one with spinach but I'm not sure what else to add to make it amazing.

Replies

• lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Tropical Smoothie restaurant near you - if so their smoothies are great! They have low fat ones made with Splenda and fruit.
  • maevestewart
    Options
    Sometimes the simplest are the best. I always have a smoothie in th afternoon to get me through to dinner. Try adding lots of ice to the blender to make it last longer and more filling.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been making smoothies all week with the same basic combination of the following:

1 container of Kroger Carbmaster yogurt (made with splenda - if low carb isn't available to you, choose greek or plain to avoid added sugar)
    1/2 scoop of Twinlab Vanilla whey protein
    about 1 cup of mixed fruit
    1/4-1/3 cup of orange juice (or other juice/liquid)

This usually ends up in the 200-225 calorie range, depending on the fruits used.

For fruit combinations, I like:
    1/2 banana + a few strawberries
    pineapple + mango (also good w/ strawberry!)
    blackberries + cherries

I also change the yogurt flavor to match which fruit I'm adding (berry-type flavors when using berries, and there's a "tropical fruit" flavor that works well with the pineapple/mango combo)
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been making smoothies all week with the same basic combination of the following:

1 container of Kroger Carbmaster yogurt (made with splenda - if low carb isn't available to you, choose greek or plain to avoid added sugar)
    1/2 scoop of Twinlab Vanilla whey protein
    about 1 cup of mixed fruit
    1/4-1/3 cup of orange juice (or other juice/liquid)

This usually ends up in the 200-225 calorie range, depending on the fruits used.

For fruit combinations, I like:
    1/2 banana + a few strawberries
    pineapple + mango (also good w/ strawberry!)
    blackberries + cherries

I also change the yogurt flavor to match which fruit I'm adding (berry-type flavors when using berries, and there's a "tropical fruit" flavor that works well with the pineapple/mango combo)

I also forgot to add that I have added spinach to this recipe and it worked out great! Choose berries or banana or something with a strong flavor, and it will completely overpower the taste of the spinach.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    at costco, i get the jamba juice smoothie packets. they have strawberry, bannana, and yogart, frozen, and ready to go. its 60 calories... pop it into the blender, add a couple scoops of fiber powder, and a serving of 10 calorie v-8 diet juice... you have yourself a really yummy 70 calorie smoothie!!! sometimes, ill add fat free hood milk (35 calories) instead of the v-8 juice, and make it a more creamy smoothie...
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    fat free hood milk (35 calories)

? What is this hood milk you speak of?
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been making banana smoothies with 1/4 cup of non fat vanilla yogurt, 1 banana, and ice. Or I made one today with 1/4 blackberries, 1/4 cup raspberries, 1/4 cup strawberries, a container of raspberry yumberry carbmaster yogurt and ice. I bought some frozen berries and random flavors of carbmasters yogurt today so I can try some other options an not have to add the ice if I don't wan to. I tend to make mine a little thicker so that they last longer too. And the carbmasters yogurt is wonderful. I came across it while I was pregnant. I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy, and that yogurt helped me out a lot.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    fat free hood milk (35 calories)

? What is this hood milk you speak of?

http://www.hood.com/Products/prodDetail.aspx?id=644
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    stater brothers carries hood!
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do 1 cup (not packed) spinach, 1 cup berries (or any fruit), 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese or yogurt, a little water and maybe some honey or sugar to taste. I prefer the cottage cheese because it give the smoothie a more milkshake like texture.
  • sammybear521
    sammybear521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas.. I know what I am having for breakfast. :smile: