How many calories should I eat?

Options
Hi,
I am looking for some advice, my MFP app says I should be on 1200 cals day, based on the fact weight, vs how much I would like to lose a week, 1 lb.
However, after watching Fat fighters last night, there was a piece on there about the cals intake we should have.... men 2500 women 2000 a day, and to lose weight you should be no more than 500 less of this.... meaning that I should according to them be on 1500??

I do have a desk job three days a week, and I work in a salon as a therapist three days a week, so my job is not active, however, I do go to the gym about 5 times a week, and I'm just wondering if I should really be on 1500 cals?

any advice welcome.

also looking for MFP App friends :-) But dont know how to add them!

thanks in advance
x

Replies

• shasim
    shasim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did see Fat Fighters last night as well and although as you mentioned they did say 2000 less 500cals for women I think this is a "general" rule. They weren't being specific to an individual i.e. they did not have specific invdividual Weight/Height/Age etc to take into account.

Also from what Ive read on MFP they use 1200 as an absolute minimum for cals intake. I think you really just need to try and see what works for you so that you are a) losing weight gradually b) eating regularly and healthy & c) eating enough calories to provide you with enough energy to see you through the day ... especially when working out at the gym. Your body needs to be fuelled to work out - you shouldn't be starving yourself.

1200 cals going by what other MFP users say, is too low and is not something this is sustainable in the long run. For other people it works! A lot is trial and error best thing is just be sensible!

Im not an expert just trying to apply logic - hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    Hi There. I stick to 1200 cals (also very inactive during the day) but always add my exercise calories on top of that and eat all of them back so generally I do end up eating about 1500 cals a day. You need to figure out what works for you, though.
  • Tp77
    Tp77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks for you replies :-) i'll see how i get on.