Professional BMR and am I on the right track?

Options
I'm 46, 5' 4", 136 lbs with a 120-125 lb weight goal by August 2012. I have been using the online calculators to determine my BMR and have been eating around 1200 calories a day and working out 5 days a week and losing small amounts of weight per week (8 lbs total in 3 months). I've been utterly confused at all the information out there about whether or not I should eat my exercise calories, starvation mode, etc. I finally made an appointment first thing this morning at a local hospital to have a professional BMR done and was pleasantly surprised at the results. My results were 1710. According to what I've learned, I need to cut my daily calories by 500 for a weekly loss of 3500 calories (1 lb loss per week). I've decided to continue to eat 1200 calories per day and "save" all my exercise calories for a Saturday treat day, not to exceed 1200 + exercise calories earned per week rather than eat my exercise calories back each day. I had been having an "all out" cheat day on Saturdays and eating my exercise calories back each day resulting in a 1/2 lb (sometimes smaller) weight lose each week. According to the math this should work and since I'm eating good healthy foods throughout the week I'm not hungry at 1200 calories. Do I have this right or is there something I'm missing? Does one have to eat their exercise calories back the day they are earned or will stockpiling them for a weekly treat day still result in the weight loss I'm hoping for? I'm also thinking this will keep me motivated to work out because I will know that I get a treat each time I log extra calories burned.

Replies

• dbendelow
    Options
    Hey iambertj
    im also confused with this and need help if anyone reading this knows, please share :). Ive just checked my BMR which says my body is using 1345 kcal per day just resting, yet my target kcal per day is only 1200, surely this is just going to put your body in starvation mode?
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you have the opportunity to get a professional BMR, do it. The online BMR calculators put me around 1400 but the professional one was much higher. This also proved to me that starvation mode is a myth (in my opinion) because i've been eating 1200 for months now and am still burning 1710 resting.
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what's right for you. There's so many conflicting ideas here because everybody has different results.

For me it is all about the math. I used to eat around 1200(500 below my TDEE) and only used to eat about half of my exercise calories. Some people eat them all back, but I didn't because of the whole- tendency-to-overestimate-exercise-and-underestimate-food-thing.

That worked out fine for me and I lost a pound a week.
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    bump
  • lambertj
    Options
    bump, anyone?
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 5' 4", 136 lbs with a 120-125 lb weight goal by August 2012. I have been using the online calculators to determine my BMR and have been eating around 1200 calories a day and working out 5 days a week and losing small amounts of weight per week (8 lbs total in 3 months). I've been utterly confused at all the information out there about whether or not I should eat my exercise calories, starvation mode, etc. I finally made an appointment first thing this morning at a local hospital to have a professional BMR done and was pleasantly surprised at the results. My results were 1710. According to what I've learned, I need to cut my daily calories by 500 for a weekly loss of 3500 calories (1 lb loss per week). I've decided to continue to eat 1200 calories per day and "save" all my exercise calories for a Saturday treat day, not to exceed 1200 + exercise calories earned per week rather than eat my exercise calories back each day. I had been having an "all out" cheat day on Saturdays and eating my exercise calories back each day resulting in a 1/2 lb (sometimes smaller) weight lose each week. According to the math this should work and since I'm eating good healthy foods throughout the week I'm not hungry at 1200 calories. Do I have this right or is there something I'm missing? Does one have to eat their exercise calories back the day they are earned or will stockpiling them for a weekly treat day still result in the weight loss I'm hoping for? I'm also thinking this will keep me motivated to work out because I will know that I get a treat each time I log extra calories burned.

Hmm, that BMR reading you got from the hospital seems pretty high if you ask me. Generally BMR for the average person is going to be 10 cals/lb plus or minus 15%. Which would put you between 1150 and 1550. Do you know how they tested it?

Regardless though, did you read my Nutrition 101 article? If so, I'm surprised you were confused as it goes into great detail about total energy expenditure, BMR, starvation mode, and everything else. You can find that here:

www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

But you shouldn't necessarily sweat the day to day deficit. It's the average deficit that matters more than anything else. So if you have a lot of big deficit days and one splurge day where you're even in a surplus, yet the daily average over 7 days is still a reasonable deficit (say 25-35%)... then that's what really matters.

Of course some constants from day to day are a good idea... meaning it'd be wise to include adequate protein, essential fats, and fibrous veggies/fruits each day.

Does this help?
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump
    :flowerforyou:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. As you travel through the process you may need to adjust your calories periodically. Good job on going the professional calc route. May I suggest you get a full body comp scan at your local medical facility. Ours does it with the DEX scan machne (that measures bone density normally). It was reasonable and the report was great, It gives you your body fat percent etc.
  • lambertj
    Options
    Thank you, yes that does help (reading Nutrition 101 now). I'm not sure what the machine was called that they did the BMR on but I had to breath into it for 10 minutes with my nose plugged and I had to set it up that I literally crawled out of bed, and drove there immediately. I asked the nurse who administered it if there was a plus or minute in accuracy and she said no. She, too, was surprised as how high it was (perhaps I have more muscle than I realized). I guess i'll give it a shot for a full month and see what kind of results I get. I would also love to get a body fat composition done but I'm not quite ready for that. Been doing weight training and recently strained my rotator cuff so I'm only doing cardio for a few weeks. Thank you so much for your information, i really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    There is definitely a standard deviation associated with indirect calorimetry testing, so the lady didn't know what she's talking about. From what I've read, there isn't a universally accepted standard deviation, but I know I've seen papers where it was +/- 200 calories.

But it doesn't really matter. Trying to determine exactly what your body is expending on any given moment is silly to me. Sure, it can uncover if someone has a medical condition that's impairing their metabolism, but outside of those instances, think of it like this... it's not static. So what if you figured out what your energy expenditure is today? It won't be the same tomorrow and certainly not next week since energy expenditure varies with activity, age, body composition, weight, diet composition, etc.

Which is why it's the process you adhere to in response to your diet that matters most. If your goal is to lose fat, obviously you need a deficit. Deficit from what? Your total daily energy expenditure... otherwise known as maintenance. This is obviously an estimation, since, as noted, it's a dynamic metric. For active folks 14-16 cals per pound tends to be about right. For people who aren't as active or who how lost considerable weight in the past... maybe something like 12-14 cals/lb.

From there, subtract 25-35% as a general rule and that's your target.

If you're using MFP to track your deficit, things are slightly different. They estimate your BMR, which should be close to 10 cals/lb. From there, they subtract the calories needed to hypothetically lose a given amount of fat. So if you tell MFP that you want to lose 1 lb per week, since there are 3500 calories in 1 lb of fat, you would need a daily shortage of 500 calories per day (500 x 7 = 3500).

So in MFP-land, the deficit is established for you before exercise is even factored into the equation. Which means if you were bedridden and doing nothing at all, if you ate the amount MFP tells you to eat (500 less than your predicted BMR), you'll lose weight.

For this very reason, if you're using MFP, it's important to eat back exercise calories. If you didn't, you're only piling onto the deficit that's already established, and could run the risk of eating too little... which we could debate about.

And for the record... the whole 500 calorie deficit per day to total a 1 lb fat loss per week is pretty bogus if you ask me. From the aforementioned article I linked to:
    It’s traditionally suggested that you subtract 500 calories from your maintenance level per day. This 500 cal/day would net a 3,500 calorie deficit by the end of 1 week. Since there are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat, it’s a simple way to lose 1 pound of fat per week. Or so it seems.

Many people quickly learn that this simple formula doesn’t typically pan out in the real world. There are a number of reasons why it doesn’t – most notably is the fact that as we lose weight, our metabolic rate drops. Most of this is due to the loss of tissue… which means less mass to support and move around. Some of this has to do with what’s referred to as adaptive thermogenesis (or zomg! the starvation mode), which is basically your body shifting into conservation mode in response to the energy shortfall.

The formula also fails quite often due to the fact that even if metabolic rate was static, very few people come close to accurately creating a 500 cal/day deficit. As noted above, it’s common to have people underestimating their calorie consumption and overestimating their calorie expenditure. Not to mention the fact that the 3,500 calorie/week deficit assumes we’re losing fat tissue and nothing else, which is rarely the case.

Put simply… the rate of weight loss is not always linear.

Of course when the formula doesn’t pan out… when people don’t lose their targeted 1 lb of weight per week… they blame it on calories not working rather than the obvious. Manage your expectations according to reality! If you expect to lose weight each and every week and to reach your goal weight looking exactly like the model on the cover of your favorite magazine, you’re likely to wind up disappointed and frustrated.

But going back to the process.... once you set a deficit that's based on a supposed maintenance, you track. Simple as that. You don't worry about day to day fluctuations. You focus on the long term... weeks... if not an entire month. And when, after that amount of time, you realize things aren't going as planned, you accept that you're working with a ton of loose estimations and you adjust accordingly.... either bumping calories up since the rate of loss is too fast or bumping calories down because the rate is too low.

Make sense?
  • lambertj
    Options
    Yes, i think............to be honest, I feel like my head is going to explode. I just don't remember it being this hard to lose 10 lbs in my 20's but its a whole different story in my mid 40's. I think I need to come back and read this information tomorrow morning when my brain is fresh. I do see now though why so many people throw in the towel in weight loss but I have no desire to do so, I am dedicated and fully motivated. Thanks
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Yes, i think............to be honest, I feel like my head is going to explode. I just don't remember it being this hard to lose 10 lbs in my 20's but its a whole different story in my mid 40's. I think I need to come back and read this information tomorrow morning when my brain is fresh. I do see now though why so many people throw in the towel in weight loss but I have no desire to do so, I am dedicated and fully motivated. Thanks

Well where are you confused?

Better yet, let me put it in even easier terms.

Your body needs X number of calories in order to maintain itself. If it has less than X, still needing that same amount of energy as before, it's going to pull them from its stores... predominantly fat.

Make an educated guess at what X is based on whatever equation you like best. I like 14-16 calories per pound for active people.

Now eat less than that.

If it doesn't work within a month or whatever, eat even less the following month. Maybe shave 10% off of what you were consuming.

How's that?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also remember, you aren't forming a deficit off of your metabolic rate. You are forming it from your TDEE. So if your BMR is 1700 calories and live a sedentary lifestyle, your caloric needs would be:

TDEE=1700*1.2 = 2040 - 500 = 1540.

And in this case, you would eat back your exercise calories to minimize lean muscle loss.
  • lambertj
    Options
    Well, I was guessing X for me is 1700 (my BMR), I work a very light office job 8 hours a day. So, i'm thinking if I eat 1200 daily and stockpile my exercise calories, I can use them to go out for a higher calorie meal once a week and still lose one pound a week. I also understand (i think) that I may have to change things up as I get closer to the 10 lb weight loss. Yes?!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Well, I was guessing X for me is 1700 (my BMR), I work a very light office job 8 hours a day. So, i'm thinking if I eat 1200 daily and stockpile my exercise calories, I can use them to go out for a higher calorie meal once a week and still lose one pound a week. I also understand (i think) that I may have to change things up as I get closer to the 10 lb weight loss. Yes?!

X can not be equal to BMR.

Remember, X is the total number of calories that your body needs. BMR is simply one component of that, as the poster above wisely mentioned. Even if you're sedentary, you're still expending energy getting out bed, bathing, getting dressed, going to your car, talking, eating, typing, fidgeting, cooking dinner, thinking, etc, etc.

It was brought to my attention that I was incorrect about how MFP calculates calorie needs. I assumed they estimate BMR, then subtract a reasonable deficit from there. Then they leave it to the individual to exercise and do whatever other activities and advise you to eat back those calories expended via activity.

Since then, I learned that they really estimate the total amount of energy expended less exercise. So they'll account for bmr, digestion, and all non-exercise activity. They'll subtract from there. And then leave it up to you to eat back whatever calories you expend via structured exercise.

It's a lot of guesswork, but any approach is, really.

Which is why there's really no point in getting confused or stressed about this stuff.

Seriously. If you need a specific number, you're likely burning a total of 1800ish calories per day. TOTAL. So anything under that will lead to fat loss over time. So you can be running smaller deficits some days and larger deficits others, but as long as the average deficit is around 25% or so, you should be in good shape.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    After a workout your body has about a 30 minute window to get good protein to its muscles. A lot of people take a protein shake to get it there the fastest. Whole foods take time to digest so that means the protein might not make it to your muscles in 30 minutes. Protein shakes are great because they are already broken down and get to your muscles the fastest. Think of a spounge that has been sitting out in the sun all day. When u throw some water on it the spounge soaks it up. This is what happens when you give your muscles protein after a workout, your muscles soak up the protein!
  • lambertj
    Options
    Bingo, I get it! Thanks so much. I do drink a protein shake but I do it 15 minutes before i work out because I work out at 4:30 p.m and by 4:15 i'm hungry, (eat lunch at 12:30 with no food until the protein shake) it sounds like it would be wise to switch it to after i'm done working out. Well, i'm going to give this a shot for one full month and see where I am on March 1st. If i do lose 4-5 lbs by then I may need to recalculate my calories and such, plus hopefully by then my rotator cuff will be well enough to resume lifting again.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    After a workout your body has about a 30 minute window to get good protein to its muscles. A lot of people take a protein shake to get it there the fastest. Whole foods take time to digest so that means the protein might not make it to your muscles in 30 minutes. Protein shakes are great because they are already broken down and get to your muscles the fastest. Think of a spounge that has been sitting out in the sun all day. When u throw some water on it the spounge soaks it up. This is what happens when you give your muscles protein after a workout, your muscles soak up the protein!

It doesn't quite work like this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless you stayed overnight hooked up to machines, they measured your RMR, Resting Metabolic Rate. If they said BMR, you got a tech that knows how to run the machines, but doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Did they mention that starvation mode may be a myth (may), but at least mention you can lower your metabolism by eating less than your body needs for basic functioning?

Really, the only thing that can help to do is confirm your BMR and TDEE (maintenance calories) are in the right place, they should be on either side of the RMR.

From http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    I show the following stats

BMR - 1326
    Goal calories - 1200 (should be here)
    RMR - 1700
    TDEE - 1989

The only problem here is eating below your healthy BMR figure.
    Now, there are some calculators that will take your RMR and calculate the BMR. And perhaps that is what the tech was supposed to do, but just gave you the straight RMR figure, because that is rather high for a shorter lady.

That site above can be made more accurate if you know your body fat%, just change height to BF and get a more accurate estimate.

So for healthy weight loss of about 1lb week, you should be eating 1500 cal goal, and after getting accurate estimates of your exercise, eating that back too.
    Because think about it, if your exercise uses up calories that your body can't even use for basic functions of life, then it will still slow down.
    Or already has actually.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Unless you stayed overnight hooked up to machines, they measured your RMR, Resting Metabolic Rate. If they said BMR, you got a tech that knows how to run the machines, but doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Did they mention that starvation mode may be a myth (may), but at least mention you can lower your metabolism by eating less than your body needs for basic functioning?

Really, the only thing that can help to do is confirm your BMR and TDEE (maintenance calories) are in the right place, they should be on either side of the RMR.

From http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    I show the following stats

BMR - 1326
    Goal calories - 1200 (should be here)
    RMR - 1700
    TDEE - 1989

The only problem here is eating below your healthy BMR figure.
    Now, there are some calculators that will take your RMR and calculate the BMR. And perhaps that is what the tech was supposed to do, but just gave you the straight RMR figure, because that is rather high for a shorter lady.

That site above can be made more accurate if you know your body fat%, just change height to BF and get a more accurate estimate.

So for healthy weight loss of about 1lb week, you should be eating 1500 cal goal, and after getting accurate estimates of your exercise, eating that back too.
    Because think about it, if your exercise uses up calories that your body can't even use for basic functions of life, then it will still slow down.
    Or already has actually.

Starvation mode is real. The evidence clearly supports adaptive thermogenesis. It's just misapplied in everyday banter you see on forums like this.