Need food ideas! please Help!

Options
Having trouble coming up with food ideas and knowing what is good!!!! Im having to completely throw out everything we eat!!! My not a very good cook so most of what we eat is out of a box or can which just recently found out how bad that is!!! I have a 2 year old son and a fiance that I also cook for and I want us to eat healthy together!! We all eat our meals together at the table! I know for sure no onion(they cause migrains and im a suffer of them!) and no bell peppers! We like jalapenos and banana peppers just no bell pepper!! Id be greatful of any ideas!! Need to learn what to cook to be more healthy!

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i hate to cook and cook for 3 girls and a husband. i cook! we only eat what has to be cooked...no processed in a can or frozen meats (chicken patties) fresh meat, fruits veggies. (well frozen veggies) whole foods that you don't need to read the package to know what you're eating.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Your family will rely on you to feed them nutritious food. You need to learn how for the little ones sake as much as for your own.
    There are some amazing websites on the net dedicated to good food.
    If you want some direction I'm happy to help you.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you are fish eaters...tilapia is a very versatile fish and very very healthy. I season and bake mine for like 8 mins. I then top it with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Or you can top it with pico de gallo. This can be done with chicken as well.

skinnytaste.com is also a great website with some healthy recipes....:flowerforyou:
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Thanks. Gonna starte getting fresh veggies or frozen at the very lease instead of can. We usually get all fresh meat but its the other stuff that we dont. Ive been trying to buy leaner meat but I also dont know alot about thatt. Its not that I hate to cook its that im just not good at it. Im trying to get better with the help of internet but the problem is basicly no practise before kids I ate whatever but life changes and You have to change along with it. I need some ideas and maybe receipes to help me:happy:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    grill or bake some boneless chicken breasts and serve with a side of veggies. fish is great, and turkey chili can be made on the weekends in a crock pot and frozen into reusable containers. we also do turkey tacos with black beans and low carb whole wheat tortilla shells.
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken with lots of veggies is my favorite "healthy" option. I vary up the seasonings.

I also love ground turkey, I make turkey burgers, turkey chili and turkey sloppy joes. There are so many awesome healthy recipe sites out there. My fave is http://www.cookinglight.com/
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    We use alot of ground beef is this bad? can I get Turkey meat at walmart?
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I get beef I try to get the leaner options. Walmart does carry ground turkey, but be careful of turkey recalls...
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Fish!! I love me some fish just havent been brave enough to make it myself!! Id also need to learn how to make fresh rice for the family!! Thanks for the advice :happy:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    try sparkpeople.com they have great easy to follow recipes and you can always alter or leave out if it calls for bell pepper or onions.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    FInd a really good online recipe site. There is a fabulous site... taste.com.au It is an Australian site but that should not matter really. I use it all the time and you can pretty much find ANYTHING. Maybe have a look and see what you think. Even if it just gets you thinking about what you might like. Good luck with it.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The easiest healthy meal I make is chicken breast and vegies. They also have lean beef, 93%
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Any advice on breakfast? I usually skip this meal which i know is the worse thing to do but I usualy feed my son and clean while he eats. The problem is I dont really like breakfast foods!

Thanks so much for the advice!! I will be checking out all of the websites that were suggested!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, cooking things for the whole family....is going to help you all stay on track and you are going to raise a healthy child! Glad you are starting now! I cook healthy now, but, regret how I cooked when he was little. YEs, he was overweight because of it. I use to make rolls with every meal.....a big dinner....etc. Anyway, we like to cook on our GEorge Foreman Grill. WE make grilled chicken with BBQ lightly coated, we make lemon pepper talapia, salmon with lemon juice and lemon pepper, or we have even made the salmon with kraft honey bbq sauce lightly coated on each. WE make fajitas by buying low fat, wheat tortillas with the grilled chicken and fajita seasoning mix....but dont use sour cream etc. WE like to always keep sugar free jello made with fruit in the fridge with lite cook whip as snacks. eWe have deer burger we make chili with....or use ground turkey. WE buy spray butter )I cant believe its not butter) to spray on baked potatoes.... we keep salads in the fridge.....etc. There are so many sites with wonderful recipes. Take a looksie. I think the biggest probelm is portion control. If I make food and have lots of left overs, I find myself going back for more and end up messing up my calorie intake! SO try to make just enough for dinner if you're like me. lol If you made a big pot of turkey chili, freeze a bag or two..which makes it even easier to make dinner on a busy night! There are cake recipes where you can use a diet orange soda or diet coke in it to replace oil etc....that are neat to try. We have been drinking protein shakes in the morning .....eating yogurt.....taking our lunches to work....and until winter hit, been walking to help us burn calories.. I hope you find some cool recipes. I agree with others who have posted...skinnytaste.com has some great ones! BEst of luck! : )
  • Katie41907
    Options
    Turkey!!!! There are so many amazing options for Turkey!!! It's so easy too! My favorite is Morroccan Turkey Chili by pampered chef.

2 Cans Northern White Beans
    1 Can tomato sauce
    1 lb Ground Turkey
    1 jalepenio
    3 tablespoons Morroccan Run (I don't have that so I just choose one of my favorite meat rubs to put in it. I've been doing Hickory and it tastes great!)

Cook your turkey until it is white, add jalepenio and rub, let cook for a few extra minutes. Then throw everything into a pot and let it cook until its hot! It usually takes about 30 minutes. This would also be a good crockpot meal. And believe it or not, when I first saw the recipe it was a microwave meal!!!!!!!!!!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    To me meals fall into one of two categories -- meals where you are making a protein by itself and then making veggies to go on the side (like grilled chicken with green beans and squash on the side) or meals where you are mixing the protein and veggies together (like a chicken veggie stir fry).

If you prefer to make things in the first category then it is mostly a matter of figuring out veggie side dishes that you like and how to cook your protein in a low-fat, tasty way.. For the veggies -- steaming them is one of the healthiest ways -- just season with salt and pepper and herbs and some lemon juice or even orange juice. Roasting veggies can bring out tons of great flavor -- just cut them up and spread them out on a cookie sheet spray with a little cooking spray and season with salt and pepper and put them in the oven. Mashed veggies can be great too -- try steaming cauliflower in a little chicken broth, when very tender add some milk and mash with a potato masher -- kind of like mashed potatoes! The main thing is to look at all the fresh veggies in the grocery store and try as many different things as possible to find out what you like. Regarding the protein -- keep it simple. Grill a boneless, skinless chicken breast with a little salt and pepper and herbs. Pan fry (in cooking spray) a fish fillet with no flour, roast a whole chicken but remove and discard the skin before serving, roast a pork loin or braise it in some wine or chicken stock, make a turkey burger on a low-cal bun or with no bun, or go meatless and have beans and rice cooked together as your protein.

If you are more into the second category there are lots of places online to get recipes (allrecipes.com includes nutrition data for their recipies) but here is one that is a standby for me:

Stir fry -- in a big frying pan on high heat stir fry your protein (chicken or shrimp or pork), remove from pan. Add cut up veggies and stir fry them until tender. While doing all this get ready with a little bowl of sauce made up of chicken stock, soy sauce, minced garlic, wine or a little orange juice, sesame oil if you have it, chili garlic sauce if you like that -- experiment and look at recipes and find what you like. Anyway after the veggies are done add the meat back in, pour in the sauce, let it bubble furiously and coat the ingredients, serve over brown rice.

This recipe can be a different thing every night depending on what protein and what veggies you choose and what things you put in the sauce.

Another standby -- pasta and cherry tomato sauce. Put some water on to boil. Spray a big fry pan with cooking spray and throw in a container of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes and whatever other veggies you want like summer squash, eggplant, or mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Let it all fry for a few minutes, then add in about half a cup of wine or chicken stock and let it all simmer until the tomatoes get soft and wrinkley looking. Use a potato masher or the back of a spoon to smash the tomatoes so that their juice comes out. By now you should have your pasta cooking in the boiling water. When the pasta is done scoop it out and mix it in with the veggies. Its okay if some of the pasta water goes in, the starch helps bring the sauce together. Add some fresh herbs and a reasonable amount of Parmesan cheese. Yum!

Again this is a recipe that can be different every night depending on what veggies you add in, or if you add protein, or if you put in a little red wine, or whatever.

Enjoy!
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Thanks so much!! Cant wait to get my receipes together make a shopping list and go get groceries!! :happy: I think im gonna enjoy this!! not only becoming healthier but provideing healthier things for my family!!!
  • Redheadmommy3
    Options
    I have found using taste of home comfort food diet to be very helpful. It gives you meal plans and has a fitness program on there. Easy recipes and exercises you can do from home. And amazingly my kids will eat their recipes!!! Good luck!!
  • monaghme
    monaghme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a great easy sandwich last night for dinner. I toasted an English Muffin, spread a wedge of garlic/herb Laughing Cow Cheese on one side, added 3 slices of buffalo chicken from the deli counter, lettuce and some red hot sauce....235 calories and DE-licious!!

Mon-Fri I eat oatmeal at work for breakfast and keep veggies, cheese sticks, chobani yogurts handy for snacks and I usually have dinner leftovers or a frozen dinner for lunch.

Dinner is harder for me because of my husband and the kids...my daughter is dieting with me this time around so now its a bit easier....she even made me a fruit smoothie last night :D

I'm finding that if I eat every 2-3 hours I do better. When I really want to cheat on a weekend night, I make homemade popcorn using half the oil and butter recommended.
  • annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, you add 1/2 cup of boiled brown rice, black beans, or lentils to your lunchtime salad. Throw a sweet potato onto your dinner time salad.