Lost 25 lbs, do I readjust my weight goals?

Options
I began at 5' 2" -180 lbs and I now fluctuate between 154 - 156. I had a goal of 40lbs to lose. My calories are set at 1290 and I am only able to exercise on a minimal basis due to back/hip problems but I do at least 10 minutes of yoga stretching and or walking each day. But I have hit a plateau and keep gaining and losing 2lbs.

I wondered if it was time to go to my goal settings and put my current weight /exercise and resubmit it with my goal of losing another 25 lbs? Especially since my first goal was 40lbs and I already lost 25 of that....I decided I would shoot for 25 more. As many others have said, I underestimated how much I should lose because I didn't base it on my BMI.

I read over many other topics and couldn't see where this was a question but, if I missed it I apologize and thanks in advance for the help!

MB

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that MFP already does that for you, it knows what you currently weigh because of your "weigh ins" and it adjusts accordingly.....

Please correct me if i am wrong everyone.... :)
  • honeyb7
    honeyb7 Posts: 45
    Options
    Dear Tabinmaine,
    Thanks for your reply. I am from Maine too! Happy to meet you! I sent you a friend request:=) I will check back over my stuff to see if what you said shows up somewhere.
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had gained some weight, and had logged it. I went back in and readjusted my goals and my calories changed. It did not change automatically. I might suggest going in and adjusting your settings, especially if your lifestyle has changed.
  • amywils77
    amywils77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was also under the impression that MFP updates it according to your weigh-in's also. But I haven't lost enough yet to see that actually happen so I could be wrong. By the way....also from Maine. Must be a Maine kind of morning. Lol! Good luck you two!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    mfp never did it automatically, it prompted me at every 10lb intervals. but after the first time i did it at ever 2lbs lost. much easier transition, and kept the weight loss continuous.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide that may help you in choosing the most appropriate weekly weight loss goal:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • amywils77
    amywils77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok....update. It doesn't. I just went into my settings and even though it showed my current weight, it wasn't until I hit update at the bottom (even though I changed nothing) that it actually updated my calories and such! So.....yes, readjust your weight goals! Good luck.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    mfp never did it automatically, it prompted me at every 10lb intervals. but after the first time i did it at ever 2lbs lost. much easier transition, and kept the weight loss continuous.

This is right about MFP asking you every 10 pound intervals if you want to change your goals. I dont change mine until my dietician tells me too and she changed it last week when I had lost 42 pounds for the first time.

From what I have learned, no one should be under 1200 calories per day unless directed by a physician. So I wouldnt adjust below that level.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    Try zig-zagging your calories for two weeks, it helped me out when I plateau, I had lost 25lbs and did the whole up and down thing as well by 2lbs..

Here is an example of my zig-zaging
    Monday - 1256 calories
    Tuesday - 1256
    Wednesday 1508
    Thursday 1256
    Friday 1256
    Saturday 1383
    Sunday 1256

Here is the URL I used to get my calories zig zagging
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • honeyb7
    Options

This is right about MFP asking you every 10 pound intervals if you want to change your goals. I dont change mine until my dietician tells me too and she changed it last week when I had lost 42 pounds for the first time.

From what I have learned, no one should be under 1200 calories per day unless directed by a physician. So I wouldnt adjust below that level.

MFP has never asked me to do anything at any interval so it may be something when I set my goals up originally. I do believe in the zig zagging thing so I will watch my intake more closely to make sure I am logging in correctly. Sometimes I just guess on portions or cannot find things in the database that match accurately because most of my food is homemade. I'd have to put in each ingredient which is too much work and takes too much time.
    Thanks for all the help! I am going to adjust my goals and see where it takes me. So glad Maine is REPRESENTED:-)
  • honeyb7
    Options
    Evidently, I was not paying very close attention to the fact that MFP does do it automatically without me doing anything! I just checked and it is using my current weight as the guide to my calorie intake in order to reach my goal of losing 14 more lbs!
    Thanks everyone!
    MB