burning cals and dipping into starvation mode

Options
Hi all. As a newbie to this site I've been feeling my way around, using the food diary etc, and I'm about to embark on a new fitness regime as part of a study for those who are overweight.

I've read and learned a lot from the forums already, and this occured to me today. This doesn't affect me, but I'm wondering if burning cals can put a body into starvation mode.

For example eating 1500 cals per day but burning 7-800 in the gym. Could it happen? Just wondering

Replies

• Edphil2
    Edphil2 Posts: 21
    Options
    hasn't happened to me yet. I started first week of the year and have dropped 12 pounds. I do some cardio and strength training 4-5 days a week. I am 52 and now 181 lbs. I eat about 1600 cal a day and going over my protein intake and am dropping about 1 to 1.5 pounds a day. I don't call what I am doing on a diet, but rather changing the way I eat. I don't really seem to be hungry, just not eating the "bad" stuff. When I get to where I want to be (I WANT ABS) I will probably increase the calories so I dont lose any lean muscle mass.
  • jmasse25
    Options
    Hi There!

In my experience, as long as I eat my minimum calories (in my case - 1200), I don't worry if my net is below that.

Example: Eat 1200, Burn 500, Net 700 calories. I'm OKAY with that.

I would strongly advise against eating less than 1200 calories. If you do than MFP comes up with a warning saying that you are not getting enough nutrients. I'm sure you will find that the more you work out, the hungrier you will be. So, if you ate 1200 calories, burned 1200 (netting to 0 calories), your body would be BEGGING you for more nutrition.

Make sure you get enough protein, make sure you get enough fiber. If you eat 'good calories' you can get away with consuming less calories than if you ate 'bad calories'. Example, 1200 calories of Fruits and Veggies will get you a lot farther than 1200 calories of cake. The first version, if you burn a lot of calories at the gym, your body won't be affected as much. The second version, if you burn a lot of calories at the gym, your body will be begging you for more nutrition, and begging you to eat more.

I hope that helps! It was a long way of saying, eat your minimum calories, anything you burn is a bonus!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bump for later