Fruit sugar

Options
I eat nothing with real white table sugar. Two small pieces of fruit put me over the sugar limit. The apple is 4 oz and the banana is 4 oz. Does everybody just leave fruit off the diet?

Replies

• bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As someone with blood sugar issues, I've pondered this greatly in the past. I believe that there are many other benefits to eating the fruit aside from fiber that make it a requirement to be part of a balanced diet.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, I'm pretty sure most people on here just ignore the sugar "goal" that MFP gives you. As long as the majority of your sugar comes from fruits then you should be ok.
  • missgailPer
    Options
    I do limit my fruit . I do know that green apples have more sugar than red . I never eat bananas I was told that the riper the banana the more sugar it has. I usually eat strawberries,or blueberries for a snack in moderation of course. We all need our daily servings of fruit and veggies so I wouldn't completely rule them out.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, I'm pretty sure most people on here just ignore the sugar "goal" that MFP gives you. As long as the majority of your sugar comes from fruits then you should be ok.

I agree. And unless your Dr has mentioned limiting all sugars I wouldn't worry about natural sugars too much
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imafatloser
    Options
    I worried a lot about sugar at first, but find it almost impossible not to go over if I eat ANY fruit or yogurt. The USDA recommendation is 32 grams of ADDED sugar a day, for a 2000 calorie diet. I don't worry about sugar that naturally occurs in foods...but that's just my humble opinion. I found that the following article explains it well. :)

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/joybauernutrition/sugar-how-much-should-we-eat
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I don't worry about naturally occuring sugar in fruit and dairy products. I just try to watch added sugar.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I would save your fruits for after a workout to help with recovery. They are the lesser of some other evils out there, but still not one of the best options out there.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I agree. And unless your Dr has mentioned limiting all sugars I wouldn't worry about natural sugars too much

This did a number on me.... A 3 month long plateau to be exact. You should absolutely be tracking your sugar. Sugar is the go to fuel for the body. The body likes to keep as much sugar on hand to fuel your workouts. Too much sugar of any kind is bad, but of course processed sugars are worse.

Try tracking your sugar on your own as "processed" and "natural." Keep the "processed" sugars under your daily limit. And don't go overboard on the fruits. Eat more veggies.
  • dkljj
    dkljj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I feel better about the sugar issue. Everyone seems to watch it but not be obsessed with the limit MFP puts on it. i always need a banana before spin class. It keeps me going and the potassium helps with foot cramps lots of people get after a strenuous Spin class. So I am going to keep that in my diet.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should stop eating fruit. Organic fruit is healthy, it contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and fibers.
    I ignore the sugar goal (I'm mostly at around -10) and I don't eat white or brown sugar. I eat one banana and one kiwi (or berries or an apple) every morning with my yogurt and I feel great!

I heard that people should avoid eating fruit in the afternoon and at night. It's something about the boiling process in our bodies (i don't know how to explain it in english).
  • RiverTom
    RiverTom Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about fruit sugar, as long as you eat whole, fresh fruits. It can become a problem in smoothies, juices and in canned fruit.