For those that lost 60+ lbs, and those of you that want to h

Options
Did your journey start on MFP, or is this a tool you found along the way.
Do you still log all your food, and in doing so, is that how you took the weight off.
Your tips, or secrets, or just some motivational help would be nice!!

Replies

• 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a heck of a lot more than 60 to lose but my journey starts here. I journal my food every day and it helps me stay on track. It really makes me think if I really want to put some food in my mouth. I work at a preschool and we have to eat lunch with the kids. Yesterday was corn dogs. NO WAY am I going to burn up my calories for that!!! I just eat the veggies and fruit and find something else later :) I also make my diary open so people can see it, and I like to look at others journals for ideas :) Good luck on your journey. My MFP ticker says I am down 4 but I am really down 9 since January 4th :)
  • kornido
    kornido Posts: 14
    Options
    i lost more than 60 in a bad way...
    most of the time i dont log my food intake, But i do log my workout in the gym including the cal burn and my strength logs
    if i eat more than what i'm suppose to i make it a point that i spend more time in the gym

most of the time the food that i eat is not on the list ( filipino food)
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i've always been a calorie counter when trying to lose weight. i googled how many calories and this site popped up! best thing ever. keeps me on track. started at 200, got to 167 in july of 2011. thought i could do it on my own....back to 176. started again 1-2-12 and back down to 168! so this site definetly keeps me in check:0) trying to get to 140!
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool I discovered which made me count calories and think about exercise.

I only started to lose the pounds when I started using the mobile app, and now I'm nearly at my goal.

I'm likely to continue to use it to help work out how much food/exercise will help me maintain my weight once I get there.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I also have plenty more than 60 to lose. I started last January, just by changing what I was eating and exercising a bit. I had never considered calorie counting, but I didn't wan't to go to WW or any other club, I was really trying to change everything completely. I happened upon MFP when a friend mentioned it on FB, and I haven't looked back. I am hoping to be at or close to goal by the end of this year, and I guess I will carry on logging for a while into maintenance, although it's not really something I wan't to do for the rest of my life.

The only tip I have is to be honest with yourself. I know when I haven't done well, so I don't expect to lose at those times. I know I'm not going to get where I'm going in a short amount of time. I have had days, and sometimes weeks, where I don't follow the plan at all, but I also know that in the grand scheme of things, those days or weeks probably won't make much difference. I suppose really it's about finding the balance that you can live with.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My best friend (wife) started me here on MFP.

I have been logging for a year, past 6-8 months log every day.
    I need to log to understand what cal i have left, to plan meals.

I face maintaince mode in 5 or 10 lbs.

Defining what that means, maintaince mode wow, yet another adventure.

I like my body now, want to keep it at this level.

I may log for the rest of my life, being able to at a touch of a button to look up food and know how many cals is so great.

It is a life change not a diet.

Cheers
    Jim
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    I am in maintenance but still track my food and exercise. I found MFP shortly after I started keeping track of my input and output. I wanted something that was easy to keep track and was and app for my iPhone ... lucked out and found MFP!

I love it ... good luck and stay focused.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i loss 20before MFP, but I had an account already and then started ususing MFP faithfully
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hi there i started and found mfp along the way,but it really does help with people to support you and abuse you when you are naughty!! lol :noway:
    but seriously it helps tons if you log everything that goes into your mouth!(and no dirty comments please people!) :embarassed:
  • masstang
    Options
    I actually need to loss 200 lbs but I started using this site 2 days after starting my diet. So far, this has made it so easy to stay within my daily caloric ranges. Being able to add in exercise and see how that affects your numbers is also a bonus. This is a dream come true to people looking to loss weight.
  • tj5000
    tj5000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow! what great success stories on here, might help me to get motivated again - thanks for those!
    I joined last feb, lost 39 lbs then put some back on, now I need to get back on track. It's true you do need to be honest with yourself - or theres no point - i know - i have been there! I have just ovaer 60 to lose I think, but no specific figure in mind - will see how I feel as I go along. good luck and feel free to add me as a friend! :happy:
  • carrie1013
    Options
    You guys rock! Definitely some awesome stories. I started my "journey" in May, lost about 40+ lbs, using MFP (it's my lifeline). The holidays added some weight back, and of course I wasn't tracking my food at that time. I started fresh January 1st, and am down 53 lbs. Yay me!! I think I will use MFP even when I hit my goal, it is a wonderful tool! In addition, as much as I dont want to, I keep my food diary open. I feel that it keeps me honest :). Good luck to everyone!
  • fcnrn2010
    fcnrn2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :smile: I log my food daily as well as my exercise whether I go walking at the mall or go the gym. Best Wishes on your journey; it is never an easy one!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hi, For me it is just another tool in my arsenal to help continue my journey. I start MFP this past fall, I have always logged my food in a handwritten journal but I was a carbohydrate counter up until joining MFP. As my weight continues to go down the more emphasis I need to put on every aspect of my weightloss. But I have achieved all my success through a lifestyle change, eating good, exercising, hardwork, and dedication.... Wish you well on your Journey.....
  • beth2411
    beth2411 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i need to lose another 153 pound all ready lost 21 slacked off constantly back on track and focused. I find when i dont log into mfp i start to slack so going to log in every day. I also find reading the fantastic sucess storied really helps.
  • stryfe101
    Options
    mfp was what I started with, had I known I would stick to it this well, I would have gone to the doctor for baseline numbers, levels, and I would have taken a bunch of "right before" pictures. Mfp has really helped me out...

I still log all my food and exercise..i've logged on every day since I started...

56 pounds thus far...much happier, feeling much much better...
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My journey started at 205, and currently I am at 161! I my coworker introduced me to MFP two weeks ago, and I LOVE IT. Thus far it has helped me to shed 4 pounds! I still have a ways to go until I reach my ultimate goal, but I know I can reach it with the help of MFP. What was my secret? Walking, walking, walking and more walking. I started walking for an hour during my lunch break, and continuing from there. I suggest that you get an Ipod or something that you can listen to, it makes walking more enjoyable if you can walk to the beat of your favorite song!

You can do it! Keeping track of your food really helps a lot!! Good luck!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs prior to finding MFP. That took me about a year of just being a little more careful at what I was eating and lifting weights 4-5 times per week. I started logging calories/exercise and am now 5 lbs heavier. I also injured my shoulder so I can't lift upper body right now. I am doing cardio 2-3 times per week. I understand that it is as simple as calories in and calories burned. I'm very tenacious so I know that I will eventually get it all dialed in and start losing more easily. It has been somewhat frustrating though. I started MFP 4 months ago and am still trying to get it all dialed in. The bottom line is that I'm not giving up. I know that a year from now, I will be a lot better off than I am today. Just gotta stay in it!
  • rachliz247
    rachliz247 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I lost 65lbs using p90x and insanity.... They are great programs to teach you how to eat right and give you great motvational tools... I just found MFP... so this is new to me! Things like this are even more beneficial to help you along the way! good luck! you can do it!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log my food. I don't like obsessing over food and calorie counts. For me, it's counter productive. I do track my workouts though. I'm just much more mindful of what and how much I'm eating. Like, it's cool to sit and pig out on a salad but not so much on a bucket of fried chicken. I also (personally) keep a VERY close eye on how much sodium I'm ingesting because I tend to hold onto water weight very easily. I think you just have to figure out what will and will not work for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!