Question For Experienced Runners

I started running last September. I completed a c25k program in November and have since raced in three 5Ks (with another one scheduled in two weeks!). Yesterday, someone on here had a link to an article about proper running form. I have never had any formal training for this sport (which I understand most people have not) and read the article to see if I was running properly -- I really didn't know there was a "correct" way -- remember I am new at this. LOL.
The article said "heel striking" is the worst way to run and results in the most injuries in the long run. Wanting to avoid injuries, I really paid attention today on how my feet land with every step. My normal step is landing pretty much square on my feet.
In your more experienced opinions, is that an acceptable, safe, form? Is it possible, I happened to pick up the "safer" stride by luck?
I tried a few steps of heel striking just to make sure and, sure enough, the second step resulted in pain. Hmmmm. Am I doing something right for a change?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Yo are landing mid foot which is good form. Also, try to have a cadence of around 180 steps per minute, land with your foot under your center of mass with the knees lightly bent, and lean forward slightly from the ankles.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Thanks for the input. I guess I can keep doing what I'm doing. :smile:
  • Running form is the subject of lots of articles and debates amongst runners of all levels. There are all kinds of books and articles written on the subject, and not all agree. Some say heel strikes are bad, some say that doesn't matter. Some say barefoot is good, some say not.

I've been running off and on most of my life, and I've seen all kinds of different running forms out there! Some people make it look effortless, while others sound like an elephant pounding along. Some (like me) look a little like a duck waddle, while others hunch over. Some run just about on their tip toes, while others (even some professional runners) hit the ground as far back on their heels as you can go.

This article (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-13951-0,00.html) makes the most sense to me. The basic point is that, if something consistently hurts, then it might be worth making some changes in your form (or your shoes). But if running hasn't caused any pain anywhere, there's no reason to change your form. If it ain't broke...
  • joakool
    Thanks for sharing the article. The information and video were helpful. I will keep doing what I am doing and hope to continue doing so injury free. Thanks again!
  • the_fish_guy
    the_fish_guy Posts: 5 Member
    I think the advice you've received so far is spot on. When I work with new runners I try not to tinker too much with their stride, because it's way too easy to over-focus on it. I usually suggest they focus on some very general basics: keep the knees flexed slightly (don't strike the ground with straight legs) and focus on "running silently" (in other words, try to make as little noise as possible with your feet . . . this will usually prevent most impact-related problems and move you into a neutral footstrike . . . a higher cadence helps with this as well).

My biggest piece of advice to new runners is this: slow down! However fast you're running, it is probably too fast. I've never worked with a new runner that I felt ran too slow. Almost every new runner I've ever worked with has run too fast . . . measuring themselves with some mentally pre-established "running speed" they had in mind. In my opinion, most injuries (and most bad experiences with running) are caused by people running too fast, or two much, for their current abilities. Take the time to enjoy it, and the speed will come!

Welcome to the addiction!

Mike
  • joakool
    Thanks for the advice, Mike. It also brings up another concern of mine. Pace. My normal pace is an 11 minute mile. At the races I have done, I have been 29 minutes twice and 28 minutes once -- about 9 minute miles. I was really proud of myself until I realized the winners in my age group (40-44) were 22 and 24 minutes! How can I safely improve my time so I can be more competitive?
  • scottb81
    Thanks for the advice, Mike. It also brings up another concern of mine. Pace. My normal pace is an 11 minute mile. At the races I have done, I have been 29 minutes twice and 28 minutes once -- about 9 minute miles. I was really proud of myself until I realized the winners in my age group (40-44) were 22 and 24 minutes! How can I safely improve my time so I can be more competitive?
    The first thing to do is build up a reasonable running base and consistently (week to week) keep doing it . A reasonable running base to run the times you want to run is probably somewhere around a minimum of 30 miles per week.

The second thing to do is once or twice a week add in a speed session. This can be intervals of 1/4 to 1/2 mile run very fast (six to eight). Tempo runs of fast running (at around 85 to 90% max heart rate) for around 20 minutes. And hill repeats.

To figure out your optimum training paces see this site: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator. According to the calculator you should run 1/4 mile intervals in around two minutes and tempo runs at around a 9:30 pace. Other runs should be easy at around 11:00 per mile.

After a few months your pace will speed up and your races will improve. Once you get a new PR recalculate your training paces at the site above and they will be faster.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Try www.runnersworld.com, lots of good information on there, most useful would be how to stretch properly before running.
  • I just started running this past fall as well by doing C25K. Still not very good at it, but a lot better than I was. A local running store offers free seminars on "Good Form Running". Find their website and look to see if there's anything in your area. They video tape you running and show it to you in slo-mo. Very enlightening! I thought I landed midfoot but learned i had way more heel strike than i thought. Worth your time if you can find a place to do that analysis for you
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    bump...thanks for the great advice....

answered some questions I had as well!!
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Running form is the subject of lots of articles and debates amongst runners of all levels. There are all kinds of books and articles written on the subject, and not all agree. Some say heel strikes are bad, some say that doesn't matter. Some say barefoot is good, some say not.

I've been running off and on most of my life, and I've seen all kinds of different running forms out there! Some people make it look effortless, while others sound like an elephant pounding along. Some (like me) look a little like a duck waddle, while others hunch over. Some run just about on their tip toes, while others (even some professional runners) hit the ground as far back on their heels as you can go.

This article (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-13951-0,00.html) makes the most sense to me. The basic point is that, if something consistently hurts, then it might be worth making some changes in your form (or your shoes). But if running hasn't caused any pain anywhere, there's no reason to change your form. If it ain't broke...

I'm a fairly new runner too, and I went through the same worries about form... but I realized, too, that if it doesn't hurt I must be doing something right.

In fact, at one point in training my running partners told me that I had an un-even limpy stride, what's most strange is that I didn't even notice. Eventually it evened out.

I think your body naturally fights through its own glitches, and figures out its own stride.
  • joakool
    The first thing to do is build up a reasonable running base and consistently (week to week) keep doing it . A reasonable running base to run the times you want to run is probably somewhere around a minimum of 30 miles per week.

The second thing to do is once or twice a week add in a speed session. This can be intervals of 1/4 to 1/2 mile run very fast (six to eight). Tempo runs of fast running (at around 85 to 90% max heart rate) for around 20 minutes. And hill repeats.

To figure out your optimum training paces see this site: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator. According to the calculator you should run 1/4 mile intervals in around two minutes and tempo runs at around a 9:30 pace. Other runs should be easy at around 11:00 per mile.

After a few months your pace will speed up and your races will improve. Once you get a new PR recalculate your training paces at the site above and they will be faster.

I had heard of "speed intervals" before, but didn't know how to apply that to my every day running. Right now, I am forced to run on an indoor track due to the icy conditions here. This actually works out perfectly because it's an 1/8 mile track, so I can do speed intervals for two laps. That would be easier for me to keep track of than being out on the bike path. Then how many "regular" tempo laps would I do for every two "speed" laps? Very anxious to try this out!
  • scottb81
    I had heard of "speed intervals" before, but didn't know how to apply that to my every day running. Right now, I am forced to run on an indoor track due to the icy conditions here. This actually works out perfectly because it's an 1/8 mile track, so I can do speed intervals for two laps. That would be easier for me to keep track of than being out on the bike path. Then how many "regular" tempo laps would I do for every two "speed" laps? Very anxious to try this out!
    For a tempo run you just want to run the faster pace for around 20 minutes non stop (with warm up and cool down on either side of the faster pace). If 20 minutes is too much, do as much as you can and increase it each week until you can do 20 minutes.

For the intervals, do a mile or so warmup, then run 1/4 mile at the faster pace, then around two minutes at a slower pace to recover, then repeat the faster run and recovery for six to eight repetitions. Then cool down for a mile or so. If six intervals is too hard at first do what you can and increase over time. The important thing here is to run the intervals at the indicated pace. If you try to go faster you won't be able to do all of them.

The speed sessions are hard on your body so only do them once or twice a week and make sure to have at least one day of rest or easy running in between.

Also, the paces (for your current fitness level) from the pace chart are what you should run. Running faster in training for these runs will not get you any additional benefit but will increase the chance of injury.
  • joakool
    Thank you, Scott, for your help. I will try this out! :smile: