Easy Beef Stroganoff :)

Options
ghostwor1d
ghostwor1d Posts: 20 Member
I joined a recipe exchange, and submitted this. Thought you guys might like it too. :)

Easy "Chicken" Stroganoff
(originally I used beef, but chicken tastes better with it!)

4 chicken breasts, skin removed, and sliced
(*can substitute beef. I like pre-cut beef stew meat or chuck roast)
12oz. can tomato juice
12oz. concord grape juice
(*Can substitute Manishewitz concord grape wine - grape juice is cheaper)
6oz. water
pepper to taste
1-1 1/2 cups flour
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
mushrooms (if desired)

Roll chicken in flour to evenly coat. In a large preheated pan, pour in olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When olive oil is hot (it should shimmer) gently place chicken pieces on pan to sear. Sprinkle pepper on chicken in pan, flip, and sprinkle pepper on the other side of the chicken. Once chicken is golden brown on the outside and almost completely cooked in the middle, pour entire can of tomato juice into pan. Next, add grape juice to pan (note: pour the grape juice into the tomato juice can to measure!). Next add water to pan (note: use the tomato juice can to measure again, but only fill it halfway). Stir pan to evenly distribute ingredients, then let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Add sliced mushrooms to pan in the last 10 minutes of cooking, if desired.

Serve over no-yolk egg white noodles, with light sour cream. Serves 4.

Nutrition per serving (includes egg noodles and light sour cream)

Calories: 515
Carbs: 63
Fat: 11.5
Sugar: 20
Sodium: 402
Fiber: 5

Nutrition per serving (does not include egg noodles or sour cream):

Calories: 287
Carbs: 22
Fat: 10
Sugar: 16
Sodium: 363
Fiber: 2

Enjoy!

Replies

• leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    sounds so yummy!
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump

This sounds NUMMY and QUICK!!! :happy:
  • JohnWic
    Options
    The term 'Chicken Breast' is rather vague as they come in a variety of sizes. Weight in grams/ounces would be preferred. Why add grape juice?
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yes i agree we dont know the size of chicken breast. sounds sorta good. im not a mushroom person but will try it. i got some wholewheat egg noodles i would like to use.
  • ghostwor1d
    Options
    When I make it, I buy the chicken breast packs from target. They're prepackaged, one small breast per pocket. I'm sorry but I don't know the exact size. I would guess they are 4-6oz each.

The grape juice sweetens the sauce.
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    When I make it, I buy the chicken breast packs from target. They're prepackaged, one small breast per pocket. I'm sorry but I don't know the exact size. I would guess they are 4-6oz each.

The grape juice sweetens the sauce.

I use the Target chicken breasts as well and am not sure the size, but they are on the smaller side.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    bump

• geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump - and thanks :wink:
  • JohnWic
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation but why anyone would want to sweeten a stroganoff defies all logic.

NONE of the recipes I've seen call for the addition of sugar, flour or for that matter tinned tomatoes. Omit the grape juice and tinned tomatoes and the dish will taste a lot better and will be far healthier for you (less sugar and sodium). Try adding a bit more ground black pepper and definately add the mushrooms (if you want to keep your stroganoff 'white' remove the brown gills from the mushrooms).
  • ghostwor1d
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation but why anyone would want to sweeten a stroganoff defies all logic.

NONE of the recipes I've seen call for the addition of sugar, flour or for that matter tinned tomatoes. Omit the grape juice and tinned tomatoes and the dish will taste a lot better and will be far healthier for you (less sugar and sodium). Try adding a bit more ground black pepper and definately add the mushrooms (if you want to keep your stroganoff 'white' remove the brown gills from the mushrooms).

This is a family recipe, and the way I think stroganoff should taste. If you don't like it, then get a different recipe. :) The recipe calls for tomato juice, not tinned tomatoes. And you can find it with low sodium.