Those who EAT CLEAN & WEIGHT TRAIN, question!

Options
I'm an avid clean eater. 90-100% of my diet is clean from sun-up till sun-down. What I'm struggling with right now is getting in enough clean calories, but still keeping my carbs/fat in check (mostly fat though) since I typically cut out any starchy carbs after 3pm. I also try to only get in good fats... 1 real egg yolk, avocado, olive oil, walnuts, etc... Carbs are typically sprouted grain toast in the AM, sweet potato at lunch, protein at all 5-6 meals. I also keep my sugars in check ALL DAY, I am typically not over and if I am it's only by 2-3 grams. I also track salt, I'm typically way under each day (around 1500mgs).

Current goals are set to 40/40/20. Should I consider switching this up right now? I'm trying to ditch body fat, I'm within 8-10lbs of my ideal bodyweight, but really care more about my body fat percentage at this point. I'm around 26%, would like to be closer to 20%.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I follow 40/30/30 - fats are definitely important for fat loss...they aid in digestion and keeping you full.

My fats are usually in the form of dairy (2% yogurt) and olive oil for the most part. I do eat avocado and salmon 1-2 times a week as well.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    eggs are another good fat x
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 as well.....It helped me get over my plateau and so I am just sticking with it!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I follow 40/30/30 - fats are definitely important for fat loss...they aid in digestion and keeping you full.

My fats are usually in the form of dairy (2% yogurt) and olive oil for the most part. I do eat avocado and salmon 1-2 times a week as well.

I agree. 40/30/30. If you are eating clean good fats then some more will be fine.

I'm not an expert but I've heard 40/30/30 over and over.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'll have to think about this some. I'm not a perfect clean eater, I actually just recently started trying a clean diet. I try to get like 100-150g of protein a day, so I am closer to a 35/25/40 ??? I'm actually typically quite a lot under on carbs, about even on fat and way over on protein. I haven't figured out how to get a good ratio yet. Sometimes it depends on the days I weight train. I always try to hit 150g on those days.

Looking forward to what others say...
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    brown rice is a great way to go as well to get in extra clean calories without adding in sugar or fat. My two cents is stick with the 40/30/30 and lift heavy to help build up that lean muscle mass so that it can start eating away at the fat and get your body fat % down.
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    Sorry for the silly question, I am planning to start eating clean and am a little lost. what does 40/30/30 mean?
  • sjcply
    Options
    Sorry for the silly question, I am planning to start eating clean and am a little lost. what does 40/30/30 mean?

40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat

you can manually change your settings
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Basic macronutrient meal plan of 40% unrefined carbs--30% lean protein--30% fat
  • sjcply
    Options
    in that case I guess I do 30/40/30 :happy:
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options

40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat

you can manually change your settings

Oh, I thought it was carbs/fat/protein
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    and I thought it was Carbs, Protein, Fat

Bump for my responses on more calorie intake, w/o a lot of carbs
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes, CARBS/PROTEIN/FAT. I think just for fun I'll switch it up and go for 40/30/30 for awhile and see what happens. That's what I was at, so I've been dropping my fat a bit in the past several months and have just seen the scale stay steady. Had a great initial 10lbs loss when doing Jamie Eason's trainer, but never really got the POP I wanted. Noticing more definition for sure, but I want to ditch that darn body fat so I can look ripped in my bathing suit in the Bahamas! C'mon a girl's got goals!!!!! :)

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far everyone!! I do brown rice too, but perhaps I'll make up a big batch each Sunday for meals.

And of course yesterday my cals were too low for me, so today I'm STARVIN' and EATIN'! I log it all too and I'd love other CLEAN EATING ideas, so if you're a clean eater/lifter shoot me a FR!
  • mollyanne01
    mollyanne01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great question Leslie! I'm at 40/30/30 and have had good results with lifting and reducing body fat.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    No need to wash all your food, it's probably clean already.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    Thanks for the response everyone! Feel free to friend me if you want to share all your clean eating tips and help me along my clean eating adventure!

Nadia :flowerforyou:
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I doubt it could happen THAT fast, but yesterday I was STARVING all day so I ate. Ate clean, but ate more and often and got in some addt'l fats (EVOO, walnuts, fish, etc..) and adjusted my custom goals back to 40/30/30. I met my calorie goal of 1800 for the day. Low & behold, I was down 2lbs on the scale this AM. Either way looks like my body just needed a switch up and here's to some more calories & healthy fats!!!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

This ^^
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

This ^^

This
    .........and it's 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat for those doing %'s.