infomercials, tae bo and the like...

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Can anyone make recommendations on Tae Bo and the other videos that are sold on tv? I can't remember the names of them right now, the ones that use a lot of abdominal moves...I am getting tired of my workouts on the treadmill and stationary bike. I have tried belly dancing and I like it...any other suggestions for cardio workouts I can do at home?? Thanks!!!

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Can anyone make recommendations on Tae Bo and the other videos that are sold on tv? I can't remember the names of them right now, the ones that use a lot of abdominal moves...I am getting tired of my workouts on the treadmill and stationary bike. I have tried belly dancing and I like it...any other suggestions for cardio workouts I can do at home?? Thanks!!!
  • Bubbles89
    Options

I dont know anything about the Tae Bo video's on TV with the exception that the workout is a lot like cardio kickboxing. If you are like me, I won't do anything at home, I am not that disciplined. I have been taking a cardio kickboxing class over the last two years and I love it. It is a total body workout. I have lost about 40 lbs without really altering my eating habit that much by taking this class. I also run several days a week and weight train 5 times a week also. To me, that is really the key in any workout program besides diet. Weight training!!!!!!!! When I began to lift weights on a regular basis, that is when I began to see real results, not on the scale so much but in my body. I really don't care what the scale says if my body looks the way I want it to and my clothes fit right. Best wishes to you and your workout!
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    there is "hip hop abs" that looks interesting but i have never tried it....
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I LOVE Tae Bo!!! It's really hard at first but once you get the hang of it the time goes by super fast. I do it nearly every day for 45 minutes and it burns around 600 calories.
  • ashleyshillig
    ashleyshillig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the Element Ballet Conditioning DVD and it kicked by butt! Literally. My legs were pure jello for the rest of the day. I took ballet for years and think that this DVD just might get my ballet body back!!! I also love the Gunner Peterson Core Secret Bun Battle and Ab Assault. My latest purchase was the Ultimate Billy Banks Tae Bo Bootcamp. My sister in law swears by it and she has lost a ton of weight just working out at home. It requires some "Billy Bands", which I have yet to buy, but a few reviews I read said you can do it without too.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've bought, Turbo Jam, Billy Blanks Tae Bo & Windsor Pilates.
    My fave is Turbo Jam... tons of fun but I've had results with all of them.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    LOVE tae-bo!! Its fun and very challenging, my dad and i do it 4-5 days a week. We started out with the basic and advanced ( it KILLED us at first) then we added other ones in our routine and now the advanced is the easiest one we do :laugh:
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Prior to joining a gym, Tae Bo (Billy Blanks) was a great workout for me. I did the basic for a few months and then the advanced after that. I really noticed a difference in my body and it especially toned my arms. People even commented about my biceps. I think Tae Bo is a good choice if you are able to be consistant with your workout at home. (I know they're older, but I love the Buns of Steel series, too.)
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ive never tried them but my girl friend loves the "Firm" series. i think she has them all.

Tim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym (or even if you work out at home) circuit training is a great way to break up the monotiny. Here is my new schedule up until the end of april (when baseball starts the weight training is severly curbed).

3 minutes on the tred mill at a low speed to warm up (I do 6.5 but most will probably go slower then that, I have a long stride...)

5 minutes on the tred mil at 8 mph
    12 reps on the ab crunch machine (check how much weight you can do before hand, use relatively heavy weight because we are only doing reps of 12)
    12 reps on the Oblique machine
    20 sport ball crunches
    12 reps on the arm extension machine (this is a special iso move for pitching with the obliques and abs)
    12 sport ball wall squats
    5 minutes on the tred mill at 8.5 mph

This is a great way to break it all up and keep you interested. You don't take any breaks between each set, between each circuit you can take a 1 minute break if you're tired. I don't even realize I am done until I am done usually. It's great, and it's a really good workout (much better then a single exercise)

You can do this with any machines, but it's better if you target an area, I target core and gluts because pitching is all core (people think it's arm strength but you get power from your mid section actually)

repeat 1 or 2 more times (I only repeat once because I only have 30 minutes for lunch.)
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Kathy Smith videos/DVD's