Slim Fast Program

Options
I was wondering if anyone is doing or had done the slim fast program? Im very busy during my day so i was thinking those shakes would be perfect for me to just whip up and drink during the day i really don't have time to cook and be in the kitchen all day planning my meals and that's why i was thinking of trying slim fast but was wondering if anyone has done it and saw results and how long where you on it for???

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I've tried it however I felt they didn't keep me full long. I swtiched to a protien shake and found that keeps me full longer and i've lost more weight. I used Herballife protien shake mix.
  • DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    did the slim fast for 5 yrs could not stay consistant i would lose some then double it on the other side. I prepare all my meals. i broil a pack of thighs and measure out for each meal 4oz of meat with a 1/2 cup rice two pcs of whole wheat bread and a veggie i change it up every once in a while but it has been a good habit for me.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i love the slim fast peanut butter bars but the shakes YUCK i tried em can NOT drink em they tasted like liquid chalk to me but i have a friend who loves em but she hasnt lost any weight with em
  • angiemcnett
    angiemcnett Posts: 429
    Options
    I don't follow the program but I do have a slim fast shake every morning before I exercise. I like them and they usually hold me 3-4 hours depending on the length and intensity of my work out. Also, I use them for breakfast and lunch when I am out of town. I eat less during the day which works out great since I don't the exercise like I would if I was at home. I find traveling to be hard for me to keep to a diet and the shakes are helpful for me to keep my calories in control.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have on and off but i don't follow their plan...just as a meal replacement whenever i don't get a chance to have a proper meal..but I had 1 or 2 scoops of whey protein to keep me fuller longer otherwise i get hungry pretty quick..
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Slim fast doesn't seem keep me full so I haven't stuck with it for any amount of time. I drink an Evopro protein shake for breakfast and lunch along with some fruit or veggies and that seems to keep me satisfied. The slim fast shakes have like 230 calories so you have to be careful not to go over your intake if you're still hungry after drinking it!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I did Slimfast and like with a lot of people, the pounds come back. They're also very high in sugar so you need to be careful of those shakes. As a one meal replacement or a snack, they can be useful, but to replace more than that creates a problem. For snacks I buy things like pre-packaged almonds (100 cal packs) or a bar (high protein/high fiber will keep you fuller longer) so that those are easy snacks to grab. You can also use snack bags and pre-cut veggies, etc. to keep in there so you don't have to cut before every snack.

To stay on track for lunches, I eat Weight Watchers Smart Ones. They're good and filling and usually under 300 cals. That makes my lunch time much easier.

You don't need to be in the kitchen all day planning your meals. Things like - whole wheat bagel and low fat cream cheese for breakfast, yes it's carbs but it's going to help keep you going all day, and a piece of fruit... snack can be a granola bar or some almonds, again, the high protein/high fiber stuff will keep you fuller longer. Lunches can be something fast like those Smart Ones or even a sandwich (lean turkey, cheese, on whole wheat bread, I use double fiber whole wheat bread). A snack can be a yogurt. Dinners then are in our household the actual cooking times... we eat a lot of chicken breasts prepared different ways because it's low cal and chicken is pretty versatile. There are lots of great recipes on Hungry Girls website, or you can get a Weight Watchers cookbook, their recipes are all good that we've tried (we have 3 cookbooks so far). I also use the prepackaged salads with the dressing already in there, and eat half the bag for lunch (usually 2-3 servings in a bag) and half for dinner. Then the next day I can have a totally different kind of salad.

Even though I'm a stay at home mom and you think I'd have all the time in the world, I really don't take the time to work on my meals, which is why I do the Weight Watchers for lunch, and do my snacks in snack bags every few days so I don't have to cut up vegetables. I have 3 sons who are skinny (2 we just adopted from Africa and 1 has an eating disorder) so I cannot eat the same food as them, they need high carb/high fat...

If you can eat the same or similiar things every day, you can group things together in MFP as meals so it's less time to enter them after the first time. Like I make my sandwiches the same every time: 3 oz lean turkey, 1 slice cheese, double fiber whole wheat bread, 1 TB low fat mayo, some avocado, tomato and lettuce.... and I can have it remember that meal so I don't have to enter it all in each time.

You can also take time on the weekends to figure out what you're going to eat the entire week, so you don't have to enter or plan anything all week except to make minor changes. I have a friend on here who does this and she's been quite successful at doing it that way.

I do agree that using something simple like a shake or a prepackaged snack will help keep you on tradck when you're busy, and help you be successful, but i wouldn't replace more than 1 meal or snack with a shake because of the other effects those things have on your body... there are other ways to keep things simple and easy.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My friend worked in an old folks home they gave the patients slim fast to help them put on a little weight
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I've been doing a combination of the Slim-Fast program and a few other things (a shake is all that I can stomach in the morning) and have seen some success with it. Your body will go into a bit of shock when you start because you will be restricting your calories so severely compared to what you normally eat, but if you eat the snacks between meals, it helps with that a lot. With such restrictive calories, it's kind of hard to stay on the bandwagon, but yeah. Like anything, it takes dedication.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    They can be an adequate meal substitute when you are in a hurry and didn't have time to plan ahead, but I wouldn't make a habit of them. They don't really satisfy hunger as well as solid food, so you can easily eat more than you realize. They are not terribly healthy....just liquid vitamens and sugar really. and they are pretty expensive. There are tons of solid food choices that can be just as convenient and better for you. If the money isn't an issue you can buy precut veggies, salads and wraps, at the grocery store, cottage cheese and yogurt, multigrain crackers and peanut butter, carrots and hummus, whole fruit, a hard boiled egg (you can even buy those in most convenience stores), nuts. A baked potato with salsa makes a good lunch and you can usually buy them precleaned and wrapped for the microwave for about $1 on sale.

Lots of ways to go.