How many times have you "fell off" the wagon?

Options
So up until last year, I had never tried anything like this even though I have been overweight my entire life.
I went at this full steam ahead and was soooo proud of myself!!

Not saying this is an excuse but I had very little support and felt myself feeling like a short order cook all the time.
(I made all meals for the family and had to plan everything!!) - after a few months it got to me and I quit doing everything.

Im completely disappointed in myself. I just logged in for the first time in months - only to find out I gained 50lbs from my lowest weight last year!

50lbs!!!! Im disappointed!!!! I could've been soooo far ahead if I had just kept going and plugging through and not been such a big baby ... and here I am back at square one :(

Has this happened to anyone else??

Replies

• mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Or I guess more important, how did you get back on track?
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I fell off after my wedding... I have only gained about 10 pounds back (since April) and i think its cause i was really toned before my wedding as I was working out 3 days a week with a trainer... Now im not so much lol...
    I am getting back on now... How you ask.. Cause none of the expensive clothes I went and bought when i got to my goal fit now! I have about 1000 worth of clothes that just either dont fit or look terrible! I wanna be able to wear those again!
    So I recommitted for a couple months (prepaid coupons) to weight watchers to get me back in the groove!

Keep your chin up you can do it!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In 20 years of dieting, I have fallen off the wagon so many times it is pitiful. But this last year, I did something weird and started little life style changes and have lost 48 pounds. I'm doing it slowly, but it is working. I think that is why I hate the word diet. Diet is for a short time, but to stay smaller, it has to be a life long change. Learning portion control and using calorie/carbs like money... No money, no shop... No calories/carbs left for my day, no eat. LOL
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    At least once a week.:noway: :drinker: :grumble:
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to say this has happened to me too, more times than I care to admit. It is a struggle, I would say don't beat yourself up about it, but I know it's not easy. I have had the same thoughts, "if only I hadn't given up I'd be so far along right now instead of starting over"
    BUT...the truth is, you can't change the past. You're here now/again and wanting to go on- THAT IS GREAT
    Just work on what you CAN control from this point on. There's nothing else you can do except give up completely and it doesn't sound like that's what you want.
    Good luck to you. Be proud of yourself for picking yourself up and getting back on that horse.
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Last summer I got really bad sun poisoning and fell of the wagon. It was just so hard after about a week of not doing it to start again. I have had the same feeling that if I hadn't stopped I would be in such a better place now, but you also have to think, I'm so much farther ahead then if I never would have started. I had to tell myself that I could live in regret or just try better and try again. Weight is a defininte war. Sometimes we win the battle and sometimes we lose, but that doesn't stop us from getting back on the horse. Sorry for the metaphor, but YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Twice last year. I'm back now where I was before I fell off last time.

Honestly, you have to just want it really badly to stick to it. It's a lot of hard work, and there will always be other stuff going on to distract you.
  • hitslikeagirl
    hitslikeagirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...I'm off that wagon Sooo much, but I've learned not to use that as a reason to say "oh we'll, might as well eat this too since I've already screwed up today". MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET BACK ON RIGHT AWAY. It's like falling down....if you pop up and keep going maybe no one will notice. :laugh: It took me about 2 years of one failure after another to get Sooo discussed with myself for not caring more about myself, for being so out of shape, for failing time after time, for a lot of things, before I finally had had it with me. I've lost 25# since 7/1/11. I didn't think I could do it, but I did-now I know I can. 45# to go...

Every day I tell myself...YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ONE DAY!

GET BACK ON RIGHT AWAY. Don't wait til tomorrow, there will be another excuse to put it off til Monday.

YOU CAN DO THIS TODAY!!!!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! I know I need to do this NOW and I did it once before so I can do it again!!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I completely understand (hug). I lost 100 pounds about a year ago then when I was almost at my goal weight I decided to "take a break" and try to maintain without counting calories. One year later I had gained back about 20 pounds and I am now working on losing again. I am finding it to be much harder this time around and my body isn't as willing to give up the weight. I feel that I have learned a lot about myself over this time and I am really trying to identify my triggers and the reasons I regained this weight. I suggest reading the book The Thin Commandments. It offers a lot of insight and you don't have to follow the diet to benefit from the book. Try to think of the gain as a learning experience. We learn best by our mistakes.

"Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?"
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Who's driving that dang wagon anyway, and can't they strap us in??? Seriously, too many times to count have I just stopped the good habits, and oh so quickly eaten my way back up to the top. What's motivating me now, is knowing that I've been unsuccessful (10 lbs here or there) over the past two years, and I am VERY unwilling to be sitting here two years from now, having endured that time feeling tired, uncomfortable and unhealthy. I'm not a young person anymore, and I'm wasting valuable time. The time will pass no matter what...that much is absolute. But let's be NOT willing to let it pass another day where we aren't doing something to make our lives better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon so much, all of those wagons are no longer in use.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Anybody that says they have not fallen off the wagon at least once is lying. It happens. Life happens. I fell off the wagon from last year also. Gained back 20 pounds due to taking prednisone and eating like a fool. But I recently logged back on and starting again. 3 days and going strong. Sounds trivial I know but its three days to the good. My wagon has so many dents from me falling off it needs repair! LOL But tomorrow is another day and another wagon. It can work with a little effort. Good Luck
  • cuhaynes
    Options
    I was doing so good and a weekend trip to my mother's house made it so easy to "forget" all the positives I have been doing. Pizza, coke, cupcakes... you name it. Today is a new day and I know I can do it. All my little decisions really do count.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At least once a week.:noway: :drinker: :grumble:

This ^^^^^

Every day I have more temptations then I can resist but at least once a week I end up getting off track. The next morning I wake up and figure that I don't want to continue cheating on my new life. I have dreams that require I loss weight and get healthier, so if I want that life I have to pick up the pieces and try harder the next time. But I also don't allow myself to beat me down because that hurts more than anything.
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So many times in the past. This is the first time in my life that I have actually lost weight. Every other diet I've tried has lasted about two weeks, shows no results, so I'd give up.

This time I'm being more reasonable. No weird foods I don't want to eat, no outrageous exercise goals, I'm just changing a little at a time. And I let myself fall sometimes. When my sister is in town and we go out for lunch, I eat whatever I want. On my birthday I ate everything that was offered to me, because it was my birthday and I should be able to. I just avoid the scale for a few weeks after I cheat so that I don't let it discourage me. Most of the time I find I can't even tell that I had that day or two of splurging and the added time off the scale means I've lost more weight between check-ins and I end up feeling better about what I'm doing.