Geek looking to get off butt

Options
Hey guys, I'm Jubbs. I'm a college student majoring in Computer Science. My better part of the day is sitting around goofing off and playing a lot of games. I am trying to not be as sedentary as I usually am. My college does offer a free gym which I do plan on using. I'm 5'8 and I haven't weighed myself but I guess I'm 230. I'm almost at the point where I am developing what I call "front butt" where your flab is being tucked into your pants. Also my chin flab is starting to lower making my chin strap into a neck beard.

I want to lose about 50 lbs. When you first join the site it says they recommend lose a pound a week, but before joining MFP i have read some people's journals using the site and they said that within a month they can see results, but that would mean seeing results of loss within 4-5 lbs loss...that makes no sense to me. I am just nervous, I don't want to be the guy that bends over backwards trying to lose weight and only losing 1.

I plan on working out hopefully 5 times a week. Though it might change during the day as to when I go to the gym. I hope there is no difference in what part of the day, because I am pretty hectic with classes, clubs, job, and girlfriend.

Anyways, Hi.

Replies

• tiphany37
    tiphany37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs per week is considered healthy. However, when you go from having no idea what you are eating to watching it like a hawk... you might lose more then that. It won't last though.

Enjoy the college gym! I miss mine! It was way better then the one I use now. When I first joined my gym I met with a personal trainer. He recommended that I focus on weight lifting. As you build muscles, they will burn calories on their own while you are completely sedentary. Cardio only burns while you are doing it. You should do both, I usually do 40 mins weight training and 20 minutes cardio at the end.

I don't think it matters what time of the day you go to the gym. Our bodies are very smart and they can get used to a routine very quickly. Make sure you spend time switching up what muscle groups you do. It's also important that you let your body rest. I usually only try to weight train every other day. If I want to go to the gym more often then that, I try to make sure to just do legs one day, arms the next, and then back/shoulders/abs.

Mind you, I've just started trying to lose weight again. I have an issue giving up alcohol. I hope that's my only problem though.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    What an odd title.
  • arkady_som
    Options
    >>Geek looking to get off butt
    >>Geek

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    Also my chin flab is starting to lower making my chin strap into a neck beard.

hahahaha. nice. add me if you plan to stay active!
  • Piglet_26
    Piglet_26 Posts: 104
    Options
    What an odd title.

Not sure why this is odd? Makes perfect sense to me.

Hey Jubbs welcome to MFP, i'm also a bit of a geek, well girly geek who loooves computer games. If you're looking for friends and motivation on here feel free to add me.
    As everyone says 1-2lb loss a week is normal but the first week or so may result in a bigger loss as your body gets used to the new changes. I lost 5lb in my first week. Hope you find this place as useful and inspiring as I have :)
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Add me!

I did quit mmo gaming some time ago and realized I still wasn't getting any healthier being sedentary all the time. I have HBP these days and am pre-diabetic, as my doc terms it. Been exercising since October, but it wasn't until I started logging my food in MFP that I began to see some progress.

Regardless of how unpredictable your college schedule is, try to squeeze in some time for exercise. And always better if you have company too, so get your gf to workout with you.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    you got this, the second you start paying attention to how you eat and working out the pounds will fall off!!!! Remember building muscle helps you burn more calories too
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Welcome..... Someone said you can't have the butt you want by sitting on the butt you got. This site is a great help.
  • nelsonf2f
    nelsonf2f Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well start by getting a workout plan and go to the gym. Then it all come down to how bad you want it. You have to prioritize your life! You have to sacrifice something or make room in order to achieve your goals!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i can totally relate...i have (and had) many geek moments where i watch hours and hours of anime or play my rpgs...
    when i was in college i did not take advantage of the free gym and classes...maybe i was afraid people would judge a fat girl trying to workout...but i regret it whole heartedly. start going when you have breaks in classes at least 3x a week, even if its for 30 minutes...it will really make a difference.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFp!

I would have to agree, being an mmorpg'er* myself, that it's not very condusive to weightloss.

In addition to not burning alot of calories sitting in a chair looking at a monitor for (*gulp*)sometimes
    hours at a time, often times mindless eating is going on as well.

Great idea making use of the gym! You can "earn" play time on the puter based on how much time
    you spend in the gym as a sort of reward. Also, try portining out your food before sitting down-
    you know if you take down a bag of snacks- even if its baked chips, or rice cakes, the bag will
    be empty before you know it!

Make a plan, and stick to it! Be patient! You will reach your goal!

*played EQ for 10 years, and currently still dabble in Lotro.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You're lucky to have a free gym to use... so use it! :smile:

The thing with weight loss is that there is no simple fix, which is what everyone looks for, it's human nature. It took us (insert time frame here) to gain the weight, it's going to take time to lose it effectively as well. In order to lose weight the healthy way, you have to be patient and be willing to make sacrifices to get the results you want, and do something physical at least 30 min. a day for 5 days out of the week. You have to be willing to look at this like a "lifestyle change" as opposed to a diet; make sure that whatever you do you'll be able to continue (unlike fad diets like shakes, pills, etc.) even after you reach your goal. So far, and it's still early days, it's working for me.

Every person's body is different, but 1-2 lbs a week is in the healthy zone. Just get some activity in there, get your heart rate up while doing it, and you should see results.
  • Jubbs89
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting, I appreciate it. This semester is all about change, last one was terrible. So far I have had a pretty good week, I have fixed a lot of problems that I have been having, and I am gaining new hobbies . Now is the perfect time to add exercise, plus I can't wait to go back home and have my parents say they notice a weight loss (my constantly nags me about weight, and dad is a runner health nut).

It seems like if I am going to start today it will be tonight, probably will do a mix of cardio and strength. I just don't know how to divide it up.

*edit* wow more posts now than when I clicked the reply button. I don't play many MMO's I was a huge Warcraft nerd, but when WoW came out, I completely stopped Blizzard stuff. I mostly play a lot of strategy games like Civilization and other RPGs. I do Pen n Paper stuff as well.

I am in two clubs, Gaming club (more of a social club), and Anime Club, and I am a staff member of each. I do watch a lot of anime and tv, so that will have to be cut. I often spend a lot of time in my room so that too will have to be cut, some way. Currently I just got into a Japanese music rhythm game at my local arcade, I love it so much I am buying my own arcade controller so that I can I play it at home and bring it to the club, believe or not it requires a lot of movement so I will use this as my motivation to work out (I mean that as in if I work out, I get to play).
  • tnkrbll1313
    Options
    Not so weird a title. I'm a geek too. Disney Geek. The Happiest Geek on Earth, so to speak! I work out by dancing with my iPod that's loaded with Disneyland soundtracks and themes (just about every attraction, past and present!). The soundtracks to Space Mountain and California Screamin' are especially good work out tracks. Gets me going! I like taking a walk with the background music track for the Wine Country part of Disney California Adventure. And the Main Street Electrical Parade....oh, I move and groove to that one, too! Good luck Geeks....Geeks RULE!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Former MMORPGamer (Lineage, L2, Aion, Rift) here; feel free to add me if you like. :smile:

Your schedule sounds pretty busy; I'd like to suggest that you squeeze a fitness class into your school schedule if you can. When I was in college it was the only way I could ensure that I'd go! I felt far more motivated when there was a grade on the line, even if it was just pass/fail. It also helps to have an instructor there to guide you on the machines and make sure you're working to your full potential. That way, when you visit the gym on your own, you'll know how to approach it rather than standing there like a deer in the headlights (or maybe I'm the only one who had that kind of reaction to it haha).

You might also want to see what kind of IM teams are forming. You said that you're in several clubs, it might be good if one of them was fitness-related. My school had everything from tennis to ultimate frisbee (omg so fun!) to innertube water polo.

Congratulations on making a change in your life, and good luck to you on your journey to fitness! :happy:
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My daughter is big into anime and Homestuck. She went to Otakon(spelling?) last year and
    had a blast!

Anyway, I would recommend doing a minimum of 30min of cardio 3 days a week, 5 if you can spare the time.
    As far as weight/strngth training, knock that out 3 days a week, having a day of rest in between. Work a different
    group of muscles for each of the 3 days you are strength training, like arms monday, abs/back wed and legs fri.
    If you are going to do cardio and strength training on the same day, I've been told its best to do the cardio after the
    weights.

Good luck!
  • Jubbs89
    Options
    So I did an hour today, 15 on treadmill just walking and did 190 calories, then 45 min (3 x 15 min sessions) of stationary bike. Oh man the bike makes you sweat if you get into it, but I feel like you burn like no calories. Also typed in elliptical by mistake instead of stationary bike, hope that's okay if I fix the calories thing.