Protein shake for women losing weight?

Options
OK - I am not to educated on protein shakes. My husband drinks them 2-3 times a day, and he is muscle --- but what about women trying to lose weight? Is it a good idea? If I am wanting to lose weight, tone......just look good !!!! Would protein shakes be beneficial for me? And if so, are there certain ones that I should look at and WHAT WORKS?

So, any and all advise is greatly appreciated.....just looking to put a little "jilt" into my diet/workouts !!

10344221.png

Replies

• alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,
    Protein shakes are always good wen you want to lose weight.
    I drink Shakeology usually for breakfast, with peanut butter, almond milk and one banana.
    They are awesome to lose weight and it gives me energy during the day, and as an extra benefits, stop my cravings for sweets.
    They are awesome.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Getting more protein is never a bad thing.

Protein doesn't care what gender you are, so there's no need to worry about male or female protein supplements. Some taste better than others, some have more stuff in them besides just protein. Pick one with a nutrition profile that fits your goals, then try a few to see what you like and don't like.

Optimum Nutrition makes good stuff, so I'd start there.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm been wondering the same thing. I don't have a lot of weight left to lose but I want to tone and lose 2-5 more pounds. I don't think I'm going to be able to use them as a meal replacement though because I like eating too much. With that being said, I did order some Warrior Whey by Defense Nutrition last week. I haven't tried it yet but am hoping it will be just what I need. I plan on mixing it with unsweetened almond milk which has is low in calories, maybe some water, a little frozen fruit, and PB2.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink Vega Whole Food Optimizer. It's low carb and super high quality veggie protein... 5 different varieties, with no whey, so it won't make you or help people get bulky. The company that makes it is called Sequel Naturals if you want to google it. It's a bit expensive so if you were going to give it a try I'd suggest you try an individual packet first before you buy a big bottle of it!
    Also, if you try it and are looking for the flavor in a fruit smoothie you will be disappointed. It's a health food product, so it's not sweet and it is green. Good luck!

edit~ the 5 vaireites I meant were that it's 5 kinds of protein in it, not 5 flavors. It comes in natural, berry and chocolate.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do you mix it with anything or just water?
  • George1567
    Options
    My feelings would be yes they would be good for your plan. The hang up is getting the right stuff. There are lots of choices, and some are designed to be gainer (people trying to gain weight/mass). Get recomendations, listen to what the people have to say in the nutrition store, but remember they are trying to sell and you need to read the label and do your own homework. You should be able to find a 100 calorie 20 grams of protein product that tastes good and mixes well. Many nutrition stores will mix up samples so you can see how a certain product tastes. To start out buy the small size package, this way you can try it out. If you dont like it your not stuck with a 5 gallon pail. My wife and I have spent plenty with online and retail nutrition stores. We have been 100% satsfied with Complete Nutrition. I think you would like their V-core. The dont sell online if you dont have a local area store. But you can call a store direct and they will ship. One you have a product factor it into your daily nutrition. Might work as a meal replacer or good to drink right after a workout.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are asking if I mix anything with the Vega, no, I don't but that's because I am trying to keep the carbs / sugar super low. (I've also been off sugar for the better part of a year so things taste different to me) You can mix it with juice or milk or almond milk or coconut milk or soy milk... it's totally your preference. Back a few years ago when I wasn't concerned about the sugar here's what I made:
    2 scoops of natural Vega
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 cup of ice
    1 banana
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries

I'd throw it in the blender and wah la! It was pretty good.
    edit again... add water until it's the consistancy you like.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you mix it with anything or just water?
    Whatever you want. Generally mixing with milk makes them taste a bit better (also boosts the cal content), but it's up to you.