Psychologist needs psych help :-)

Options
Hello all! I'm 26 years old, and finish up my degree in psychology. I just joined, and am looking for support in getting my body and my mind to a healthy place. I have strugged with body image and eating issues all of my life and my weight has gone up and down. I'm looking to lose a few pounds and maintain it by eating healthfully and consistently, and not by going on an extreme diet. I'm a long-distance runner, and the inconsistency in my eating really affects my ability to train. At the same time, I really want to get my body image issues under control so that I'm not constantly putting myself down or beating myself up. I just want to be able to get healthy and consistent and have a positive attitude :-). I'm tired of my weight going up and down and the affect it has on my mental and physical health.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make a lifestyle change. Go slow and educate yourself on healthy eating. Find healthy substitutions for the food you love and don't make excuses. :drinker:
  • KingdomHeiress5
    KingdomHeiress5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome!! I am also working on my psych degree and here trying to make better diet and fitness choices. I first just had to determine the root cause of my body image and eating habits before I could begin to address what I needed to do in order to improve. Once you do that, you will find that you are much more committed and successful with your fitness journey! Take care!!
  • abull63
    abull63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl. Just remember that you are a beautiful person no matter what the packaging is on the outside the inside will always show. I am 63 years old and I have realized in my lifetime that my opinion of myself is the most important. If you keep your spirits up the results will come. Keep trying. I know you can do it!!
  • mrshoffy1
    mrshoffy1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome I am kinda a newbie here myself just started a couple weeks ago. I found reading that so many other people are in the same boat I am helped alot. Also reading that alot of others have the same trouble with getting up and moving. I have now found a huge support group here. Message me anytime! :happy:
  • Yvonna59
    Options
    It sounds like we want the same things. I am a little older than you (52) but have been trying to live healthier for a while now (about a year). Be patient with yourself, educate yourself about healthy eating and exercise. Change often happens slowly. I find I am most successful if I am changing one or two things a month. For example, one month I started finding ways to include flax meal in my diet and set a minimum goal of taking a walk every day. If I can achieve some minimum goals, I can build from there. The goal is building lifelong healthy habits and it is important. You can do it!