ibuprofen and excercise

Options
Hi,

I have a massive toothache today and had to have some ibuprofen (400mg so far) to be able to keep on working. I was planning to go to the gym tonight for some cardio workout. Is that ok after I took it or is that a no-no?

Cheers,

Tom

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not.. it's antiimflammatory, it's not like it's a narcotic. you shouldn't feel any different ...if that's the question??
  • spluker
    spluker Posts: 17
    Options
    not really, i have heard about some athletes and marathon runners taking ibuprofen etc. to kill the pain in muscles and recover faster but it turned out it has got quite opposite effects plus it does something harmful to you (can't remember what). but that article was about marathon runners. i wonder if the same thing applies when you just don't want your tooth to make your face feel like it's being on fire and don't drop your daily exercise as well.

i also took some paracetamol (i think about 500mg) earlier today but it didn't work.

any other clues?
  • Limedistraction
    Options
    you should be fine to workout still... but if you are worried about it then just do a lighter workout and be careful... if you start to feel strange for any reason while working out then just stop...
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I take an NSAI every day because of my arthritis in my back. They do say you should take tylenol before working out and ibuprofen after.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Ibuprofen can adversely affect your kidneys when you get dehydrated. I have no idea why or how. I just know that it has to do with your kidneys and can be dangerous.

That being said, I suffer from frequent headaches and sometimes just have to take it, and I work out after I do. I always try to stay hydrated. I would be careful about not pushing yourself too hard if you've taken it.
  • mama1229
    Options
    In college I was told to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hrs, for tendonitis, and was forced to work out every morning for an hour and a half. I did this for weeks until my knee was better. I also recently heard a quite renowned Orthopedic Surgeon recommend anti-inflammatories before, during and after workouts to alleviate after workout soreness. When the Doctor was asked about harm to the liver he stated that shorterm use should have no effect on liver enzymes. Unless you have a compromised liver already you should be fine.
  • spluker
    Options
    ok, so basically if i take it easy and have massive bottle of water with me all the time i will be fine right? i was actually up for this bike challenge at my gym tonight, i guess kicking my instructor's *kitten* by beating his time will have to wait until tomorrow :D

cheers folks.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It will take way more than 400mg to affect you in any bad way.
  • spluker
    Options
    that's the thing. i propably will take way more than 400mg. as soon as the *kitten* toothache comes back i'm popping more of that stuff :S

after how much mg would you say i would have to reconsider my exercise today?
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options
    ... Ibuprofen only lasts 4 hours anyway so - If you're that worried Go after it wears off haha. As an experienced taker of ibuprofen
    (As I mentioned earlier about my 2 year toothache!) It's fineeeee honestly. If women can give birth using ibuprofen, one of the most cardiovascular things known to man, I'm pretty sure you can do an hour at the gym! xx
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options
    Although I would stick to the guidelines 400mg every 4 hours because an overdose, if it doesn't kill you, will lead to liver scaring, very painful and life threatening. So deffo stick to the guidelines. You need to go dentist my friend!
  • mztrixx
    mztrixx Posts: 12
    Options
    At the pharmacy where I work we advise customers; That three things are important:
    1) If you have high blood pressure be very careful, it can cause a spike in BP very fast.
    2) Protect your stomach by eating something small (even a yogurt), this medication is very hard on your stomach.
    3) Try to use as little as possible (the least amount to deal with your pain) and you can alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen no problem.
    There should be no problems using it while working out
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options
    At the pharmacy where I work we advise customers; That three things are important:
    1) If you have high blood pressure be very careful, it can cause a spike in BP very fast.
    2) Protect your stomach by eating something small (even a yogurt), this medication is very hard on your stomach.
    3) Try to use as little as possible (the least amount to deal with your pain) and you can alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen no problem.

I agree, it is bloody harsh on your stomach!!!! But same with any drug I suppose! Deffo eat something too otherwise you will feel sick. I used Nurofen Meltlets. But thats cuz I chew my tablets cuz I can't swallow them whole haha.
  • spluker
    Options
    ... Ibuprofen only lasts 4 hours anyway so - If you're that worried Go after it wears off haha. As an experienced taker of ibuprofen
    (As I mentioned earlier about my 2 year toothache!) It's fineeeee honestly. If women can give birth using ibuprofen, one of the most cardiovascular things known to man, I'm pretty sure you can do an hour at the gym! xx
    Although I would stick to the guidelines 400mg every 4 hours because an overdose, if it doesn't kill you, will lead to liver scaring, very painful and life threatening. So deffo stick to the guidelines. You need to go dentist my friend!

haha alright then! :D

i have booked myself an appointment in my dental clinic but nearest free slot was on tuesday anyway :S needless to say that next week i have got my driving test and this amount of pain might be quite a bit of disadvantage :/

i don't know my blood pressure :/

i shouldn't overdose it tbh. i'm actually anti-medicine and try to avoid taking any pills (i don't know why, i just don't like them/trust them). i wouldn't take them if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Thank you guys!
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options

haha alright then! :D

i have booked myself an appointment in my dental clinic but nearest free slot was on tuesday anyway :S needless to say that next week i have got my driving test and this amount of pain might be quite a bit of disadvantage :/

OH OH! NOOO Call up your dental surgery again in the morning and ask them for an emergency appointment!!! :D x