Should I even watch my sugar levels?

Options
I have been eating (with the exception of yesterday, I was sick so I had TERRIBLE foods) decently well. However, I noticed that I am always going over on my sugar levels. Should this be something I am concerned about?

If you could look at my food diary and tell me what I should cut out or add in, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Replies

• clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im no nutritionist or by no means to i eat 'cealn' all the time and i do go over on my sugars...

Only s small suggestion is to swap canned fruit for fresh, also ive been told low fat items (yohurt today) substitute the fat for added sugar and i have been advised to go for low calorie rather than low fat.

But im not sure, my advice could be useless! lol

xx
  • setter928
    setter928 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to do some of that stuff.

Is the greek yogurt any better for anyone than a low calorie yogurt? I know I have heard a lot about it, but I am not sure I understand the huge difference.
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I'm not a nutritional expert...but did talk about this with my doc at my annual last year. She indicated that natural sugars (found in raw fruit and vegetables) is not relevant when you're looking at your overall sugar intake. Where you need to be concerned is if the sugars you are taking in are processed. One thing that you can do to get a more accurate reading on your sugar levels is to add another "meal" category on your tracking...one that is used only for raw/natural sugars that you can easily subtract from your daily goals to see what is relevant and what is not.

That being said, I have read some articles that sugars are one of the bigger culprits that contribute to belly fat. So, even though "raw/natural" sugars are ok, they may still detract somewhat from your longer term goals if your are focused on losing in the midsection.
  • cmyk529
    cmyk529 Posts: 13
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this, since I have a calorie goal of only 1,100 or so, and basically a half of a centelope for breakfast throws me over my "sugar" suggestion. It is sugar, but consider the age-old complex/simple sugars. If your carbs are in the green, and your sugar is in the red, but most of your sugars are coming from fruits and veg and not outright candy or sweets, then you could be fine.

If you find that you're consistently going over your carb & sugar amount, then you are eating too much sugar. Carbs generally are turned into sugars as well, but there is also the issue of complex/simple sugars. Atkins was essentially a "low sugar" diet even though it toted low-carb, because your body treats carbs like sugars. I like to generally watch my sugar anyways, and I'll reflect back to see what is simple/complex sugars and where I can eat better because I do get low blood sugar from restricting calories, and I've found that 99.99% of the time I'm always under my carb intake, so things are fine.

3944728.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to do some of that stuff.

Is the greek yogurt any better for anyone than a low calorie yogurt? I know I have heard a lot about it, but I am not sure I understand the huge difference.

Greek yogurt tends to have more protein in it than regular yogurt. It also tends to be lower in sugar. Thus, it can be considered more beneficial.

I prefer Chobani yogurt now over all types of regular yogurt. :)