Getting skinny calves..

Options
I know a lot of this is genetics.. (like how I can never get rid of my big bum) but I have really large calf muscles.. I think it's more of a proportion thing - I'm only 5'1 but I even can't buy boots as they won't do up!

My lower legs are pretty lean fat wise, I do a lot of walking & stair climbing (don't own a car). But I want to know if I can do any particular types of exercises to slim down my calf muscles?

I've been focusing on Yoga (hot for more intensity) and ballet strength training (Bar Method) - been staying away from cardio - and would love to hear from anyone who has been doing this type of training for a while to know if it will work for slimming calves? I'm still a newbie - only been doing it for a week..

Replies

• DDBeard
    DDBeard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bumping incase you get any advice. I have the same problem...I think to many years of playing sports and dancing. I even joke I'm going to deisgn a line of boots for women with big calves. :-D
  • kylashealy
    Options
    Bumping incase you get any advice. I have the same problem...I think to many years of playing sports and dancing. I even joke I'm going to deisgn a line of boots for women with big calves. :-D

they actually already have this at torrid :) lol

btw, what is bumping?
  • Bump - I'm in the same boat since little i've been told I had "boys legs" because my calves were muscly and not skinny like the other girls
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    American Eagle - Knee Boots

They come in extended calf sizes. I'm 5'3 with 16-17" calves. They are rocks. They are muscle. I'd rather loose the fluff on my stomach than the iron in my legs.

(I'm wearing those boots in my pic, hence why you can't see my lower legs)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    American Eagle - Knee Boots

They come in extended calf sizes. I'm 5'3 with 16-17" calves. They are rocks. They are muscle. I'd rather loose the fluff on my stomach than the iron in my legs.

(I'm wearing those boots in my pic, hence why you can't see my lower legs)

:heart: Your legs Belle
  • csegear71
    Options
    I am in the same situation! Too many years of dance and cheerleading! Even when I weighed 100 lbs, I could not find boots to fit because I wear a size 51/2-6 shoe (Im 4'11")!! Its very frustrating as it gets very cold here and would love some boots that go to the knee! Yes, could someone explain what "bumping" is? Ive seen it all over the message boards.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    "skinny calves" aren't going to get you far. I'd suggest finding boots made for women who have muscular calves, they exist.
  • SOBrien84
    Options
    Bumping as well....

I just have ZERO definition in my calves and it drives me insane.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an exercise to slim down muscle. Muscle shape is genetic. The only way to shrink calf muscle is to find your way into a wheelchair for a couple years, as your calves are some of the strongest, most constantly worked muscles in the body. Again, there is no such thing as an exercise that will change the shape of any muscle.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would like your calves:sad:

Russ
  • millerch88
    millerch88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bumping is just a way to bring a post back to the top of the message boards so more people see it. It also puts the topic into your "My topics" tab so you can find it easier later.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My calves are solid. Who wants to feel?
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    People say Bump to add an entry to a thread, therefore keeping the thread actjve so it stays at the top of the "view" list :)

Russ
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My calves are solid. Who wants to feel?

Meeeeeeeeeee
  • DDBeard
    DDBeard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kalashealy & ESVAbelle: Thanks for sharing! You would think I was a kid in the candy store when I find a pair of boots that fit my beast legs. :-D
  • nmlmom
    nmlmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Nine Week when I was a teenager and none of the boots fit me :0(
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Ah genetics.... I have muscular calves... I used to hate them...no matter how thin I was they were always the same. My husband loves them, so now I don't hate them, still don't love em! I can barely zip a lot of boots... they do make them for bigger calves. I should probably get some. I am often fighting with my hunter wellies. They go on easy enough but don't want to come off!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Calf raises might make a tiny dent and shrink your calves. They'll definitely add definition. But if you go to Aerosoles and Naturalizer they have boots for people with bigger calves. Mine are between 15.5-16 or so. Unfortunately, for me, my calves are larges about 2/3 of the way up from my ankle so the wide part is 1-2 inches below the place were the elastic generally starts.

I have boots from puma, steve madden and geox that fit. The geox ones actually have laces the whole way up so they are super adjustable. There is also a british brand that makes boots to fit. You can order by calf size.