Call me what you want...but STOP calling me skinny!

Options
mimaduck83
mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
very nearly lost it the other day with a regular who drinks in the pub I work in. I've been losing weight steadily and sensibly, I still have 20 or so pounds to go until I hit my healthy weight and I am in no way "skinny".

He was loitering after closing and I was about to start the clean up and we were chatting about running and he said "you're looking so skinny now"...grrrr.

I never ever want to be skinny, I am not trying to be skinny, I have no way in hell I'll ever be skinny...too much boob, bum and curves for that (good old Scandanavian genes :laugh: ) and I NEVER want anyone to call me skinny. I was unhealthily thin at uni (drinking) and that was a fear I had before losing weight was that I'd go back to that place.

So...congratulate, encourage, praise, help, mentor and call me curvy, healthy, happy, slimmer, hour glass (seeing as I AM) but please...don't call me skinny.

:heart:

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    You better make a sign and wear it so people will know this. :laugh:

Really though,he was complimenting you so don`t get too upset about a choice of words that could be interchangeable with some you mentioned.:flowerforyou:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You better make a sign and wear it so people will know this. :laugh:

Really though,he was complimenting you so don`t get too upset about a choice of words that could be interchangeable with some you mentioned.:flowerforyou:

This.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment, not everyone knows your background, or your peeves,
    Usually, people wouldnt take the word "skinny" as a bad thing
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If skinny is the worst he could say, then I would call that a good night. My aunt told me a month ago that I looked "sick in the face" because I lost so much weight, but I should it as a compliment! :laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    There are worse things than being called "skinny." Learn to take a compliment.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I bristle at the word "skinny," too, but understand that from most people, it's a compliment.

But also I think topics like this are a good thing, because at least it's getting the message out there that not every woman is striving to be skinny.
  • mimaduck83
    Options
    I guess I'm just a little sensitive about "that word"...doesn't help that I've been going through a stressful stage in my life and the guy in question is a complete asshat! We have a silent signal behind the bar when he comes in...and we draw straws who gets to serve him. Makes the night a little more interesting though!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I love it when people tell me I'm skinny, or to go eat a sandwich.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your continued weight loss!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    There are worse things than being called "skinny." Learn to take a compliment.

Agreed.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    That would be horrible to be called skinny! I feel for you. I would much rather be told how fat and disgusting I am!
  • mimaduck83
    Options
    Good luck on your continued weight loss!

Thank you runbyme xx
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I think people mean well, but it bothers me, too.
    I am fairly slender at this point, but I'm not in any way skinny and never want to be. Primarily what I am is FIT and HEALTHY and STRONG - all of which are infinitely better than skinny.

Still, as I said, people mean well. If you are comfortable with the person, you might say, "Thank you, but I don't want to be skinny - I want to be fit." I've done that and people have responded well to it.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I get that, I had a similar experience at work the other day. We sell shape slimmers and a lady came up to me and asked if she could return it if it didn't fit, seeing as we don't have change rooms. My supervisor said yes, and we got chatting about how they fit. I made a comment about having bought one myself to even out my stomach area in a slim fitting dress for a Christmas party, and she looks at me and says, "I hate it when skinny girls complain that they're fat".

I absolutely did not say I was fat, however my stomach is one of my trouble areas, and I have as much right to say it as the next person! Just because I am not as large as I was doesn't mean I don't have trouble areas as well and isn't that what those things are for anyway?

I just smiled, and rang her through and let my supervisor keep talking to her. I know she probably didn't mean it like it sounds, but I'm kinda sensitive about that stuff now too.
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people go out of their way to be nice to me..

the nerve of that guy to give you what is universally considered a compliment.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You can be fit, healthy and strong when still being "skinny", just like you can while still being "thick."
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Probably meant as a compliment.

My wife is always telling me that I have nothing left but "skin & bones"! But the reality is that my BMI still indicates that I am over weight. No longer "obese" , now just "overweight" ! :-)

Got to admit that it grates on me, but better this than the constant criticisms and insults regarding my physique when I was at my heaviest!
  • DEBAUD
    DEBAUD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a smaller framed girl and have always been small. I exercise, eat ok and am at a healthy weight for my age and height. People always call me skinny and it REALLY irritates me cause they usually say it in a negative way. Then you have those who ask why I work out.....ugh cause you're suppose to and it's good for you. So call me healthy, athletic, in shape but please don't call me SKINNY!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I get it too - when my co-workers started saying things like "if you turn sideways you'd disappear" or "you're melting away!" it was a little annoying. I'm in the same boat as you - still have a little ways to go and want to be fit, not skinny.

Anyway, I learned to just smile and say thank you because regardless of how I feel about the particular terms they're using, I know their intentions are good. Plus, I figure eventually the compliments will stop so I'm getting a kick out of them while I can. :smile:
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    Well.. he could be like "Jesus Christ you were so damn fat." Always a bright side. :D