Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

spinach salad - hubby says BLEHHHH

can111
can111 Posts: 63 Member
My husband was, should I say horrified?, by my spinach, strawberry, walnut salad. I put a nice vinegar and olive oil dressing on it. I thought it was good. Spinach is sooo healthy for us, so I try to fit it in each week.

So I find myself cooking twice or 3 times! My husband wants a salad, but not my "horrible" one, so I make him a salad and me a salad. To my kids, I say if you don't like what I made, you can make PB&J, but I don't tell my husband that.

Does anyone else have this issue??

My mother used to cook, put it on the table, and we ate. How did she do it? Hmmm...maybe she wouldn't have attempted the spinach/strawberry/walnut salad.

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    nope. they eat what I cook, all of them. If they don't then they are hungry. I do try not to cook things that literally make them gag, I'm not trying to torture them.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    LOL hubby would be fixing his own salad. I always fixed dinner and put it on the table. My kids either ate what I fixed or waited til the next meal. Children are very survival oriented...trust me they won't starve - they will learn to eat the healthy meals you fix.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    That salad sounds amazing. Tell him to make his own. LOL
  • I grew up with the "eat it now, or eat it later" rule. If I didn't eat what my mom was gracious enough to make for the family for dinner, guess what would be for breakfast? :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    i make a spinach salad with craisins, feta cheese, and honey mustard dressing.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    If my wife and child don't want what I cook, they are welcome to cook for themselves.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    My husband won't eat cooked spinach or any 'mushy' veggie other than mashed potatoes... I got him to eat raw spinach by gradually mixing it into his salad. I make a chop salad so the greens are sliced rather thin and he can't tell what greens he's eating.

I love spinach strawberry salad but that's too pretty for your average male... =)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    I am a vegetarian and my DH is not
    I often cook something we can both use
    I might do a roasted veg casserole and when it is cooked that is fine for me - but he might have a chopped chicken breast with his

or we might have something an mashed potatoes with veggies - he can have sausages and I might have a veggie option with mine

if he really doesnt want what I am cooking he does his own
  • Keep the wonderful salad, but add grilled chicken or some lean meat - seriously a crowd pleaser!
  • nope. they eat what I cook, all of them. If they don't then they are hungry. I do try not to cook things that literally make them gag, I'm not trying to torture them.

That is me! I fix something healthy and put it on a plate. If they don't like it they can make something else. My son is only 5 so i don't force him to eat things he HATES (like spinach salad or squash). I do try to find a happy medium...something that fits into my diet that we all like. If I am eating something they don't like, my husband will fix something easy for himself and our son.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    nope. they eat what I cook, all of them. If they don't then they are hungry. I do try not to cook things that literally make them gag, I'm not trying to torture them.

^^This^^ I give my family the same arrangement. You eat what I made. I KNOW what you don't like cuz I'm your mother so I would never intentionally inflict harm on you. And if you elect not to eat what I made...get off your *kitten* and make Ramen Noodles or PB&J
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I make whatever I feel like eating. If my girlfriend wants to eat it also, great. If not, she heats up a frozen meal, or gets carryout, or skips dinner altogether, and I bring the leftovers for lunch the next day. Life's too short to be cooking special meals for picky eaters, or nagging picky eaters to eat only what I cook.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    My husband was, should I say horrified?, by my spinach, strawberry, walnut salad. I put a nice vinegar and olive oil dressing on it. I thought it was good. Spinach is sooo healthy for us, so I try to fit it in each week.

So I find myself cooking twice or 3 times! My husband wants a salad, but not my "horrible" one, so I make him a salad and me a salad. To my kids, I say if you don't like what I made, you can make PB&J, but I don't tell my husband that.

My mother used to cook, put it on the table, and we ate. How did she do it? Hmmm...maybe she wouldn't have attempted the spinach/strawberry/walnut salad.

OMG, spinach and strawberry salad is my favorite!! I love it with almonds. Sounds like Hubby needs to cook.:angry:
  • I grew up with the "eat it now, or eat it later" rule. If I didn't eat what my mom was gracious enough to make for the family for dinner, guess what would be for breakfast? :)

I like your mom! She sounds like one smart lady! I am going to start doing this with my son :) I usually just save it so he can eat it before bed (because he is always hungry before bed), but the threat of dinner for breakfast! He would shovel it down with a smile!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member

I'm the same way. If I make it, you eat it or go hungry. I noticed with my daughter at least, that some veggies have a "stigma" about them. Like Brussel sprouts, spinach...food that are typically seen as gross on the TV shows she watches etc. I bet a lot of adults are the same way.

As for the salad, why not try staying traditional for a while, and slowly introduce new things. Like make a salad with lettuce, tomato, olives, handful of spinach leaves (sliced them if you want to make them not so big and leafy), grilled chicken and ranch....

Once the family gets used to the spinach (which I bet they will, my daughter actually picks spinach over lettuce when we go to a buffet), then switch it up, and try something new, but 1 ingredient at a time. lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    No. My husband is a grown up. And perfectly capable of feeding himself. He does his own laundry, too.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    My salad consists of baby spinach, strawberries, feta, diced onions, cherry tomatoes, a few walnuts, dried cranberries. I usually use a Greek dressing. It ends up being a HUGE salad, but surprisingly low cal. We have 7 people living here. They all know if I make something they don't want to eat and complain about it I would just tell them where they can shove it.

We have "fend for yourself!" days all the time.
  • If I'm making something that I'm not sure others will eat, I make other sides to go with it, so a spinach salad- if I'm not eating alone- would not be the ONLY thing on the table.

However, I grew up with ONE RULE in our kitchen- and it applied to grown ups AND kids....
    you can dislike something- and say so respectfully....
    but comments like "Ewww YUCK" gets you 2 helpings- and the privilege of cooking the NEXT meal- AND dishes.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    PS - I myself am a little iffy on fruit in my salad, I have yet to make one. I might have to try this strawberries and walnut salad. lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Did he at least try it? That's one of the yummiest salads.