Scanner option to add food

Options
I've just discovered this yesterday (Yes it's been around a while, LOL I haven't been on MFP in a long while) and I'm totally in love with it!!!

It's so simple to log my food now, I don't have to search in the database forever like I used to!! Thank you MFP for adding this feature!!!!

Replies

• kabrown1978
    kabrown1978 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love it too! Makes it so easy to log our food, when we have the packaging right there in front of us.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's awesome, and I love it. I get weird looks from co-workers when I do it at work, but I just let them wonder. I don't usually explain what I'm doing. I think it's kind of funny. It is a huge time saver though seriously.
  • stephanielynne
    Options
    how do I do this?
  • frohnk
    frohnk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well... it depends on what app/widget you are using i think. On mine, when you click on Add to Diary and then navigate to the search function... right next to the "Search for a Food" bar is a little barcode looking icon. when you hit that icon it will open the barcode scanner. Just scan the barcode of the food you are adding. Simple!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what phone you have but I have a IPhone and this is what the FAQ's say:

First, start the add food process just like you would for any other food. Next to the search box, you'll see a blue icon that looks like a barcode. Tap on the icon to activate the barcode scanner. Place the barcode you would like to scan inside the target area on your screen. The scanner will read the code and search for a match in our database. Once the match is found, just add it to your diary.

On rare occasions, you barcode search will return the wrong food from our database. If that happens, you can help us improve the database by telling us the correct match for that barcode. After you see that the wrong food has been found, scroll down on the screen and you'll see a button labeled "Find Better Match". Tap on that button and you can search for the correct food in our database. Once you've found the correct match, add that food to your diary. You've now changed the barcode association in our database. The next time you scan the same barcode the correct food should be found.

They used to have a video showing you how to work it but I can't find it. I hope you can figure it out. Do you have the MFP app on your phone?