Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
13»

Replies

• CenlaCoach
    Options
    I had a polar and it was great had to get a new one cause the battery died so i got a different brand thats was free from a program at work and it sucks. Pay the money and get a polar one. The polar ones are not too badly priced.

Why didnt you just change the battery. I know they recommend that you send them in but you can change them yourself.
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I have had the Polar FT7 for almost 2 years. I love it. I much prefer the wearlink chest belt over any other ones I have seen. And for the ladies you can get a sports bra that the transmitter attaches to.
  • cescts
    cescts Posts: 2
    Options
    I just got the women's FT4 yesterday on Amazon for $57.95 (brown) with no tax and free shipping. I had the RS100, but the watch broke and was not under warranty anymore, so it would cost me more to get fixed than this new FT4. Hope I like it!
  • jayla513
    jayla513 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used a heart rate monitor for a couple years now in the gym and out. After a lot of research, I landed on the Polar FT60 "Training Computer". It's a great device that is easy to use and helps you set goals for how much and how intense your workouts should be for the week.

I haven't really come across and incredibly accurate calorie estimator, though. I tried several and read lots of reviews and they all seem to over estimate how much you burn. I ended up finding a local place to do a fitness workup on me to determine my VO2 index, resting heart rate, and accurate calories burned in different heart rate zones and I use that to calculate my calories burned accurately, and to set my goal for calorie intake as well. This is the only way to know you have a real, true number for YOUR body. The testing consists of breathing into a mask that tracks your CO2 levels while resting, and then another while running on a treadmill at different levels of intensity. The last test was a full body water tank dunk to get the exact measure of lean muscle mass vs. fat/other stuff composing my body. It all cost about $120, but was WELL worth it!

Back to your question. I've used a Timex, Polar and the Nike+ (running only) systems for estimating calories. For all around general exercise, Polar is excellent. Nike+ is close, too. Not sure about the fuel band, since it's so new. Interested to see where you land!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! But it is not a heart rate monitor. It is more of a pumped-up pedometer.

Pam
    Has anyone used Fitbit? Thoughts on Bodybugg? It looks like the consensus is Polar..
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. Check out heartratemonitor.com for research if you want.

This
  • jell1997
    Options
    I have a Polar RS400 that I have used every day for 4 years. You need one that will use your resting HR versus just your age, height, weight.