Goal Weight vs. Ultimate Goal Weight

Options
So!

I see alot of people with Goal Weights and Ultimate Goal Weights, what makes you have two? Are you focusing on cardio up until a certain weight and then on strenght at another weight?

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    For me looking at the big picture can sometimes be overwhelming so I divide it into increments.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Mine are the same. I want to get down to 149lbs and be toned. (149lbs puts my BMI right in the middle of healthy which will keep my doctors very happy.)
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ive done mostly strength training for weight loss and to maintain it and tone
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    My goal weight is 11 stone but my ultimate is 10 stone, I have 2 because the last stone is for uber toning and it gives me a leeway of 7 pounds that I can jump between as a healthy weight, because I majorly fluctuate!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Or some do a cut and bulk cycle. My goal for my upcoming cut is to lose about 4 lbs, then I will bulk and try to get where I am no, but with lower BF% (more muscle, less fat)
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GW: 125 :) UGW: 115!!!! :D CW:150 :(
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    For me personally the goal weights I have posted are mini goal weights that I'm aiming for, like little mile stones. Then my ultimate goal weight is the weight I really want to get to and maintain.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 136.7 because it is healthy & honestly way smaller then I am now... atleast 15lbs... & my ultimate goal weight is *MY I WISH I WAS WEIGHT* and that is..... 125-127lbs... so I guess a goal weight is realistic, and ultimate goal weight is if u can do your goal weight why not push for more kind of thing?
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For me, I set a goal weight that I wasn't sure I could achieve, but wanted to because it put me in the healthy range. My ultimate goal weight will be whatever I finally achieve when I've stopped losing weight. I'll stop trying to lose weight once I've gotten rid of the last of the flubber over my abs!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    We don't know what we'll look like at our 1st goal weight so we make another just in case we want to keep going. I may stop at 145 depends on how I look. I may go to 135-140 will see. The last time I lost weight was with prescription diet pills so I was "skinny fat" when I got to 145 still wearing a size 10. This time I'm using diet and workouts with weights and 159 already a size 8. So I'll look different this time at 145.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I didn't label mine as such, but I have one goal weight listed, plus another I have in mind to reach after that. I'm starting with the first one to see how I look and feel at that weight then I'll officially set my final goal based on that.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    For me looking at the big picture can sometimes be overwhelming so I divide it into increments.

^---- THIS
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My goal weight represents the weight I would like to get down to by a certain date. My ultimate goal weight is kind of a "anymore than this and you will begin to become unhealthy" thing. I like to have two so that I have a realistic goal to strive for, but to also remind myself that being fit and healthy doesn't stop there. If I could lose more after my goal weight (and it is healthy to do so ofcourse) I would like to. Just my thoughts. :]
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I think, for me, breaking down the long term goal makes is more manageable. Plus, I've set my goal a bit above my lowest because I want to judge how I'll feel when I get there. I may feel my best at 170 and think I need to go no lower or I may get there and say to myself "Good work, now let's aim for 160."
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have two...first one is my visceral (heart healthy) weight, which is higher than the weight I would like to ultimately be. I'd be comfortable around the first one, knowing that I'm at a good weight for my heart. But, feel better at the second one as I would look healthier. I do both cardio and strength training to lose and tone, so when I'm there I can look smokin'! :wink:
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Right now..I am real close to being in a normal weight range for my height. My dr said I could have stopped 10 lbs ago and he wold have been happy.

I was down to 149 last summer before my marriage fell apart. I am working on getting back down to 149, and my UGW is 130-135. I ride horses and the slimmer I am, the better the overall presentation is. I know that sounds shallow but there is nothing worse than riding in a class and having a bystander make a comment about how fat you are. I wanted to take my whip and go OOPS...sorry..your standing to close.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I started out at 186.4, 11 weeks ago and I’m currently sitting at 166.4. My ultimate goal is to be 150 lbs. So I set my weight loss goals in 10 pound increments. So my 1st goal was 180 lbs, then 170 lbs, my next goal is 160 lbs and finally my ultimate goal of 150 lbs. I thought it was best to take it 10 pounds at a time so my goals would be more realist to me. It sounded better to say I want to lose 10 pounds but this date instead of saying I want lose 30. It’s just a mind thing for me I guess.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For me, I set a goal weight that I wasn't sure I could achieve, but wanted to because it put me in the healthy range. My ultimate goal weight will be whatever I finally achieve when I've stopped losing weight. I'll stop trying to lose weight once I've gotten rid of the last of the flubber over my abs!

This ^ - well said! I have not seen/been that weight in such a long time, I will re-evaluate the final goal once I get there. I also realize that charts can only say so much and everyone is different. Although with a 5' 2" frame the 'healthy range' of the BMI index says I could be anywhere from 104 to 136 lbs, my frame will not handle being on the small end of that. So, my first goal is to reach around 129 and we'll see how much body fat I'd still like to lose... good news is, not many more lbs before I am considered to be in the healthy range, woo hoo!

It's also hard to guess what size I'll end up being - I'm currently in a size 8 jeans & dress pants but still have about 15 lbs to go... do you all feel the same way? Like I said, it's been more than 25 yrs since I've seen this size/weight so... we shall see, right? Keep up the good work, everyone!!