Any Gluten-Free-ers out there? I need help getting started!!

Options
So, my doctor and many other recommend that I go on a gluten-free diet, but I am SO overwhelmed that I have no idea where to start. I feel like I need a cut and dry, "yes/no" list for everyday foods in order to start this up. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I can make this transition?

Replies

• nikkihen
    nikkihen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was actually just doing some research on this. Dr. Oz has some useful information on his website...
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat/gluten for January and at first I found it difficult, but once you get into the routine it is easy. The main thing for me was to ensure I always had plenty of fresh food at home, so, step one, stock up on the kinds of things you can eat: fruit, vegetables, meats, etc. If you are vegetarian, it is a bit harder because many fake meats have wheat protein in them. Also start getting used to things like rice (preferably brown) and quinoa, which are good to get your carbs. Also try some gluten free pastas - some of them are not too bad. I tend to avoid GF breads as they don't taste very good to me. After you have done a big shop and stocked up, step two is to throw out all your pastas and breads and start reading labels. You will be surprised at how many things have gluten, so it depends on how far you want to take it. I have had small amounts of gluten because I was not prepared to give up soy sauce.

Then just start cooking - fresh meats and vegetables with some brown rice is a good start.

For breakfasts, I have porridge with nuts and fruits. Also there are some gluten free granolas and puffed rice cereals, or eggs/fruit.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I bought an app on my iPhone called "GF Living" and I was shocked to see how many ingredients actually contain gluten, or are gluten in disguise. This is quite the process lol
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't know where you live, but in the UK all the major supermarkets have "free from" ranges, and in the US there are a lot of options at places like Whole Foods. You can also google restaurants that do GF options, and many are starting to label them and otherwise accomodate. It is a bit of a process getting starting, but you will probably get the knack for it after a week or two.
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    If you have a trader joes near you they have a great selection of things. As well as online gluten free websites you can order yummies like pasta and cakes if you're into that sort of things. Other than that keep yourself well nourished with protein, vegges and fruits. And that phone app is a life saver!

(btw, I'm not gluten free but I have a few friends that are so when I'm cooking for them, I have to shop gluten free and make sure they have gluten free foods at parties they can eat)
  • JenLoses
    Options
    My boyfriend's sister has celiac disease, which was daunting at first because I love to bake and always felt like I had to exclude her. I finally started learning gluten-free AND vegan baking recipes. And I'll tell you, it definitely has been a challenge.

When it comes to gluten-free baking, the main difference is in the type of flour you use. Gluten is actually a by-product of certain proteins combining with water, and it helps the food keep its shape. For this reason, wheat flour is preferred for a lot of products because it produces TONS of gluten and is very versatile (and is obviously a lot cheaper). By comparison, soy and spelt flour have a lot less gluten, while buckwheat and rye have nearly none at all.

If you decide to give gluten-free baking a shot, you'll need a combination of different kinds of flour, and it'll change depending on what you're making. So one problem is that it's a total science, which is why a lot of people complain about gluten-free products tasting bland or outright terrible.

Another downside is that it can get very expensive buying several types of flour as well as xanthan gum (to hold the product together). As a shortcut, I use Pamela's Pancake Mix & Baking Mix, which is made from a combination of different rice flours and has baking powder and xanthan gum already in it. If you Google the brand Pamela's there are tons of recipes on their website, so it's a great starting point.

Other than that, I second everyone else's advice! Good luck!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that you're going to love Buckwheat kasha.

Quinoa is pretty decent too but buckwheat tastes way better.

Perfect carb source.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that you're going to love Buckwheat kasha.

Quinoa is pretty decent too but buckwheat tastes way better.

Perfect carb source.

Hmmm, I've never tried buckwheat but I'm def gonna check it out. Does anyone know if there's any alternative to oatmeal that tastes ok? That's going to be my weakness!
  • tiyatela
    Options
    you can get oatmeal that is gluten free. best bet is a health food store

check this site out as it has some great recipes

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

and

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html

also if you are in doubt of whether a product contains gluten- just contact the company and they will tell you if it does or not..

hope this helps
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is a gluten free oatmeal from Bob's Red Mill. I get it at the health food store. It is good.