Bronchitis Tending Towards Pneumonia.

Options
Hi there.

I've had bronchitis for the best part of a month. It's been quite bad, with the doctor concerned that it would turn into pneumonia.
For the first couple of weeks I had enforced bed rest. Now I'm out of bed but still resting while I try to get my strength back.
I have next to no energy and just going upstairs to the bathroom tires me.

My question is this:

Should I increase my calories temporarily while I am trying to regain my strength? I currently consume 1,400/day.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It might be best to pose that question to your doctor, although any time you're sick, I would say trying to achieve a calorie deficit could be counterproductive, but I'm not a medical professional.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    Getting in to see the doctor's not so easy, lol.
    I'm still quite weak, so going to see the doc (if I can get an appointment) is difficult.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of question you may be able to call the office with and ask instead of going for an appointment.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    That's the kind of question you may be able to call the office with and ask instead of going for an appointment.

You'd think so wouldn't you?
    All I get is: "If you need to talk to the doctor and it's that important, make an appointment."
    *sigh*
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

You'd think so wouldn't you?
    All I get is: "If you need to talk to the doctor and it's that important, make an appointment."
    *sigh*

That's pretty lousy. I'm sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, though. I'm a person that gets bronchitis at the drop of a hat. When it gets really bad, I have no energy for anything at all. I hope you start feeling better really soon.
  • bohdanko
    bohdanko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that when sick it's best to eat what feels right and will strengthen you (healthily, of course!) and not necessarily worry about counting calories. There will be time enough for that when you are well. I had pneumonia in August for the first time, and that fatigue can really get to you! Get better soon.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    That's pretty lousy. I'm sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, though. I'm a person that gets bronchitis at the drop of a hat. When it gets really bad, I have no energy for anything at all. I hope you start feeling better really soon.

Thank you so much :flowerforyou:

I've suffered with it periodically since I was a child. It seems to be my weakness.
    This has to be one of the worst bouts yet.
    I've decided to up my calories by 200-400/day for the time being until I feel stronger.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that when sick it's best to eat what feels right and will strengthen you (healthily, of course!) and not necessarily worry about counting calories. There will be time enough for that when you are well. I had pneumonia in August for the first time, and that fatigue can really get to you! Get better soon.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue as long as your extra calories come from good sources and not doughnuts and cake! You're lucky you don't live in the US & have to fend off Girl Scout Cookies whenever you go out! I know I ate a lot of soup when I had pneumonia. Good luck and get healthy!
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue as long as your extra calories come from good sources and not doughnuts and cake! You're lucky you don't live in the US & have to fend off Girl Scout Cookies whenever you go out! I know I ate a lot of soup when I had pneumonia. Good luck and get healthy!

I just had a little 'lol' at that. One of the kids bought me a doughnut to "cheer Mum up"! I shall have to eat it of course, it would be rude not to :wink:

I have to admit, I've always wondered what those Girl Scout cookies are all about.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor, but I get bronchitis with some regularity and I can still function ok, just cough a lot. The fact that you're so weak is worrisome. Has your doctor got you anything to help clear it up? I use inhalers and find that they clear out the fluid pretty quickly. If you're that weak you may already have pneumonia. I went to the doctor in the spring thinking 'well, this is a serious case of bronchitis, I've never been weak like this before' and low and behold, pneumonia.

I would get a second opinion if I were you.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    And eat a lot of fruits and veggies right now! Drink tons of orange juice, eat oranges, green peppers, bananas, apples. Anything loaded with vitamins, it will help you recover faster.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Presumably you are on steroids for your lungs? If so you do need to up your calories a bit as they whack up your metabolism.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    Not a doctor, but I get bronchitis with some regularity and I can still function ok, just cough a lot. The fact that you're so weak is worrisome. Has your doctor got you anything to help clear it up? I use inhalers and find that they clear out the fluid pretty quickly. If you're that weak you may already have pneumonia. I went to the doctor in the spring thinking 'well, this is a serious case of bronchitis, I've never been weak like this before' and low and behold, pneumonia.

I would get a second opinion if I were you.

I've been three times in the last month. Last time was last week, I was given more antibiotics and a great big dose of steroids. If I'm still weak and shaky by the weekend I'll definitely go back on Monday. Maybe even Friday.
    I have inhalers for my asthma anyway, so the dose has been temporarily increased.
    I'm just so damn tired :frown:
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    Presumably you are on steroids for your lungs? If so you do need to up your calories a bit as they whack up your metabolism.

I didn't know that.
    I finished the last dose yesterday.