Gaining - again?

Options
2»

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Kaily,

In response to is it possible to gain 4-5 pounds water weight so quickly? YES!!!! A resounding YES!!!!! If I have a very bad sodium day, I will be up at least that the next day. Do you weigh daily? weekly? If you weigh daily maybe take a break from that because it can be very frustrating. Do it weekly on the same day, same time. TOM also makes you retain water so keep that in mind too.

Do you have a HRM? Your calorie burn on the elliptical might not be what you think it is. The differences between a HRM/Machine/MFP are shocking sometimes.

I was on a 3 month long plateau because my sugar was off the charts. I wasn't actively tracking it so I didn't realize it. Yours doesn't look bad, but it is something to consider.

But overall, you lost 17 pounds in LESS than a month! That is awesome. Be proud of that. Don't throw in the towel because you aren't losing as quickly as you want to be. A healthy weight loss is 2 pounds a week or less. Sooooo, that would be 8. You lost 17! Great job!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Something has to be happening... you don't just create energy out of thin air and store it in fat. Otherwise, if you did, your body would hold the key to our world's energy crisis. I know that doesn't help you, but can you HONESTLY say that nothing at all changes? Which would imply you're eating the same exact things and doing the same exact activities day to day?

Maybe you are... at which point we'll have to look other places.

Maybe your calories aren't low enough.... so you're in a small deficit to start and then, as your body adapts as well as becomes smaller, there's a smaller requirement and thus, you reach a new maintenance. So what is your weight, age, and daily calorie intake?

What was your highest weight?

How certain are you of your calorie intake? Meaning are you using a food scale? Are you EXTREMELY consistent with tracking EVERYTHING that passes your lips from day to day... even the weekend?

What about the mixture of nutrients that are providing said calories... what is it?

If you're truly being honest with yourself, and things still aren't working, why throw your hands up in frustration? Look for alternative solutions... that's the name of this game.... experimentation. You're going to fail hundreds of times but that's the root of weight management. Expecting this kind of stuff and reacting accordingly by learning from what didn't work and trying new things.

Worst case scenario, again, if you're being very true with yourself... you just KNOW you're in a calorie deficit and you're still not losing weight.... why not head to the doctor and rule out things that could be causing your problem? Something thyroid related maybe? Or something with water retention? Who knows.

This...excellent response and no one used the word lying other than the OP. Lots of people aren't honest with themselves about what they eat or do and some even believe they are but after a reality check realize that maybe they are missing things here and there. This is what Steve was referring to. If this is not the case for you which he addressed in the original post

"Maybe you are... at which point we'll have to look other places."

You posted a topic in the forum looking for help..you got a response from one of the guys best qualified to provide you a response who is also one of the most selfless professionals responding on here.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I think you're giving up too easily. Weight loss is not a straight line down. And if you lost -11 and gained +4, it's still -7....if you did that every month for a year you would be almost at your goal, right? :)

The key is to recognize why, of course, and to keep going. You can't give up at the first sign of weight gain. It could be sodium, stress or any number of factors and you have to "push through" those times.

Let's say there's a birthday, wedding, whatever and you overeat. Are you going to get down on yourself and quit, or say "you know what, it's only one day, one weekend I'm going to pick up on Monday and keep going". That is the difference between winning and losing, really. Not giving up just because you have a bad day, or bad week. Because we all do ;)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I got stuck in a plateau myself. I found that my calorie deficit was not as great as I thought. Not because I was lying but because I was just making honest mistakes.

In case it helps, here are the reasons why I was recording my calories incorrectly. (I still make these mistakes sometimes, but I’m more aware overall.)

1. I was understimating portions, especially fruits and vegetables. I always put down my fruits as “medium-sized” because they were the average size fruits available at my local grocer. When I weighed them, they were all “large.” (I thought a “large” fruit would be like a giant one where you would say to a friend, “Look at this gigantic apple!” but it turns out it’s not so dramatic ;-) ).

2. I sometimes didn’t count stray bites here and there – when I would take a bite of my boyfriend’s dinner, or eat a baby carrot while packing my lunch. But I read that, on average, a bite has about 25 cals (depending on what it is), so those random bites could easily add up to 100 cals/day.

3. MFP has duplicate entries for lots of things, and they’re not all the same. For example, there’s one entry for baked chicken thigh with skin that is 190 cals, and another for the exact same thing that is 240 cals. I make baked chicken about once a week, and I was always using the lower cal number, because it came up first in the alphabetical list. Now I use the higher number.

4. I don’t think I burn as many calories through exercise as MFP says I do. I think people’s bodies vary in how efficiently they exercise, and mine must be efficiently using as few cals as possible. I’m a mild/moderate exerciser, and I rarely burn more than 200-300 cals/day max through exercise. I note the exercise in MFP but don’t try to eat it back anymore. I figure the slightly increased deficit probably just balances out the calculation errors I’m making in the other direction – the slightly-too-big portions, the piece of candy I forgot to log, the fact that I personally don’t burn 130 calories through 1 hour of walking, etc. And it means that if I go 50-70 cals over, it’s probably ok.

This applied to me exactly!! I would always choose the lower calorie option in the database...to my own detriment! Now I weigh and adjust the calories accordingly. If it goes in my mouth, it goes in my log. I burn much less than a lot of people appear to. Zumba at 300 calories, etc, when other people claim 600-1000 calories. Sadly, that's not me. I figured I was pretty active, with three kids and two jobs...oh not so much, to be honest. I sit at a desk, in a car, stand at the kitchen counter, etc. Where's the action really? At best, I have a couple hours of lightly active, the rest is very much sedentary, no matter how much I tried to convince myself that I was more active and could eat more.

Oh and by the way, I weighed myself last night right after zumba. I weighed in 6 pounds heavier than in the morning!!! This was due to a ) my clothing and b ) massive water retention as evidenced by my puffy hands and feet. Today is better though. So remember that you have to OVEREAT by 3500 calories to gain one single, solitary pound of FAT. That's 500 calories every day for a week! Water weight doesn't count as gaining weight. It's temporary.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't comprehend how you can retain 4 or 5 pounds of water so very quickly.

And I do have a food scale, and I measure everything to the point that my husband makes fun of me for doing it :p I made tuna salad over the weekend and he was like "you are seriously measuring the mayonnaise you put in there?"

I know I tend to have water retention issues over the long-term b/c when I was pregnant with my youngest I gained 56lbs - but had lost about 40 of that just in the 3 days I was in the hospital after giving birth. Other than all of the weight from the pregnancy itself, my midwife said "wow, that was all water" b/c I was gaining weight uncontrollably while I was pregnant and I made food logs for her, etc. and we couldn't figure out why I was gaining so much weight so quickly. It was a disaster.

Anyway, I spend a large amount of time being so careful and conscious about what I'm eating, and measuring, and counting and logging and it's just insanity if there is nothing resulting from it.

As for my doctor, I'm not a big fan - she's nice enough but doesn't seem at all interested in discussing weight loss with me.... but I did review my bloodwork with her, she did a hormonal and metabolic screening, they took like 10 viles of blood, and she said I was perfectly healthy, so I dunno. It's likely not anything "wrong" with me.

I'm just frustrated, not trying to snap at you but I think the whole "well you must by lying" attitude when someone says they are having a hard time losing weight irritates me b/c I know how how hard I have been trying. thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

is it your TOM? I'm just back at this this year after falling off the wagon for a year so I reset my start weight for this time around. anyway I lost 44lbs last time around and over the time it took to do that I noticed that i could easily gain up to 10 lbs in the week before my TOM once it was over that extra weight came off within days and usually took a few extra pounds with it when it :) I was totally frustrated by the gain until I noticed the pattern.
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This speaks to me because we just talked about this in my classes for med school. Yes! It is your sodium! Yes, you can easily gain 5 pounds! Not only will you gain that water, but it will take about 3-5 days for you to lose it. Now imagine having high sodium for days in a row. Not only that, but women are more prone to weight fluctuations because of hormonal changes due to TOM. No offense, but if you're getting this upset about it, then you may just not be ready for weight loss right now. This is a life change.

If you're being absolutely honest and accurate about everything else, and aren't overestimating your calories burned (exercise machines always do this), then its more than likely just water weight. It sounds like you either need to cut your sodium, or only weigh yourself like once a month or every two weeks.
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also, as a heads up, we med students hardly learn anything about nutrition, unless we do it in our own free time. Your doctor isn't talking about it because they just don't have a clue. You need to see a dietitian, or someone who has gone to school for it.
  • stephiejones
    Options
    bump
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My own experience re thyroid -- three years ago I was on a low dosage for hypothyroidism (low thyroid) -- went to a new doctor, she said "Your numbers are fine and you don't need it." Over the next 6 months I gained 17 lbs, I was always cold, tired, depressed (thought it was all due to my mother's death right around that time." I kept asking to be retested, and my doctor always kept saying the "numbers" showed my thyroid was "fine." Finally I said, "I'm NOT fine and I want to see someone else about this." She sent me to an endocrinologist who listened to me, put me on a low dosage of T3 and T4 medication -- and within two days (I am not kidding!) I felt like a new person! No more crying, depression. No more feeling exhausted and taking naps all the time. I didn't immediately lose weight at all, unfortunately. I've messed around for the past three years in terms of cutting calories and exercising -- and yes, I measure mayonnaise! -- I weigh and measure everything because that reassures me that I know what I'm doing. And now I'm finally losing weight again....

So my advice -- if you have any of the above symptoms I had -- would be to go see an endocrinologist and have your bloodwork done again.... I like my doctor, but she did me a disservice by not listening to me.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Like the others have mentioned your sodium level could be lower. Didnt you mention PCOS? That could be impacting your weight loss also.

Try having a cleaner diet. Give it a try for about 30 days and see if you start to get progress again.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    bump to read more later.
  • annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I am right there with you. In 08, I weighed 205-208 and stayed there. From 10-11 i was at 235. Eating exactly the same food as when i weighed less. As well as i dont understand that sometimes when i go out now and eat good portions of food and weigh less the next day. Strange how when i eat less i gain weight but when i eat more i lose. So you could be the same way.
    Something has to be happening... you don't just create energy out of thin air and store it in fat. Otherwise, if you did, your body would hold the key to our world's energy crisis. I know that doesn't help you, but can you HONESTLY say that nothing at all changes? Which would imply you're eating the same exact things and doing the same exact activities day to day?

Maybe you are... at which point we'll have to look other places.

Maybe your calories aren't low enough.... so you're in a small deficit to start and then, as your body adapts as well as becomes smaller, there's a smaller requirement and thus, you reach a new maintenance. So what is your weight, age, and daily calorie intake?

What was your highest weight?

How certain are you of your calorie intake? Meaning are you using a food scale? Are you EXTREMELY consistent with tracking EVERYTHING that passes your lips from day to day... even the weekend?

What about the mixture of nutrients that are providing said calories... what is it?

If you're truly being honest with yourself, and things still aren't working, why throw your hands up in frustration? Look for alternative solutions... that's the name of this game.... experimentation. You're going to fail hundreds of times but that's the root of weight management. Expecting this kind of stuff and reacting accordingly by learning from what didn't work and trying new things.

Worst case scenario, again, if you're being very true with yourself... you just KNOW you're in a calorie deficit and you're still not losing weight.... why not head to the doctor and rule out things that could be causing your problem? Something thyroid related maybe? Or something with water retention? Who knows.

I am most certainly in a calorie deficit all of the time. If you are implying that I am lying just for the sake of having something complain about - that's not the case at all.

And I've been to the Dr. She says that my thyroid, blood sugar, etc. all look great. I have PCOS but it's mild enough that she didn't feel the need to medically treat it, when I told her my weight loss woes, shew as just basically like "well, keep trying I guess."
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    mark it for later...I think I'm facing similiar problem...