THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

Options
Hello everybody, I hope you are all well and enjoying your journey's, whether they are to lose or gain weight :)

I feel that something really needs to be said to warn certain people. I'm talking about everyone on here who is thinking or is even already started losing weight using Total Food Replacement Diets, Very Low calorie Diets every single quick fix gimmick out there.

You've all seen them, especially here in the UK. After Christmas adverts of puddings, chocolates and cakes, in comes more adverts telling us that we are all lard *kitten* and need to start losing weight!

DIET CHEF
LIGHTERLIFE
LIPOTRIM
THE SPECIAL K DIET

The list goes on.

Do you know what all these diets have in common? they will all make you fatter.

I was addicted to quick fixes and fast weight loss. 14lbs in one week? NOOO WAAAAY!! yes way, and I paid the price for it.

I just want to give my experience of what happens, not just to me but to EVERYONE. I kid you not.

I used Lipotrim and Lighterlife for about 2-3 years, I became so dependent on them because I thought this was the only way I could lose weight. I'm lazy, have a bad relationship with food, so a diet where all I had to consume was liquids 3 times a day including 4 liters of water seemed ideal to me. No more worrying about what I was gonna make for dinner, just some powder in water. How nutritious! -_-

Over time the weight was falling off faster than me on roller blades, it was so fast that I can't even remember how small I actually was. According to everyone around me, I looked extremely ill. Can you blame them? my skin turned grey, my dark circles turned into damn black holes! bones popping out of everywhere, my teachers thought I had cancer!

I fainted every single day, stubbornly carrying on. It was kinda like coke to a druggie for me. I didn't poop for months..can you imagine that? NO FRICKEN POOP!! my periods stopped, I ruined both intestines, them being clogged up with poop and all :P

I finally got to target in about 6 months. I had 80lbs to lose. It was time to eat again. I was terrified! I actually started crying.

For two weeks I was reintroducing food into my system, but I still gained weight. Until I ended up close to my starting weight. These diets do work, they make you lose weight but no matter what YOU WILL GAIN YOUR WEIGHT BACK.

Stop kidding yourself. 'Oh I know what I'm going to do when I get off, I'll eat healthy, no more chocolate for me, I'll excersise' Blah di blah di ****ing blah. That's what I said, and look where it got me.

Whatever reasons we got fat, whether from being gluttons, depression, genetics, we have to work hard to get what we want.

You want 2 biscuits? sod that, I'm gonna eat 6 apples!

A diet is strenuous but a lifestyle is more welcoming.

Your body will thank you for it in the end.

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and thanks for sharing your story. I had a friend in high school who was already thin but thought she needed to lose weight. She went on one of these systems and caused herself lots of problems and ended up obese.
  • DeeNyceRN
    DeeNyceRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us.You are right there is no "quick, fast and easy" way to lose weight. The only way is through hard work, and it takes time. I am glad you are on the right track to a healthy lifestyle.
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Scary stuff and thanks for sharing...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    so true - thanks for sharing. I've lost 98lbs in the past year just by eating right & exercising - but everyone asks me how'd you do that, what's your secret? And when I tell them, it's like they don't want to hear that I literally worked my butt off!!

Glad you are on the right track now!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Thank you so much for your intelligent informative posting~!
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your story. Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WOW. Thanks for sharing this. I'm happy you'e losing weight the healthy way now.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. There are so many people out there who can't grasp the idea that it IS possible to lose weight with just diet and exercise.:heart:
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - sounds like you've had a tough time, but I'm glad for you that you have made lifestyle changes to manage your weight rather than the quick-fix variety.
    Those plans are scary, any time I spend on facebook there are always ads on the side asking if you want to lose 6lbs in a week etc - the sensible person inside of me says thats not healthy, but I'm aware that people will be sucked in to that game wanting the quick easy fix.

Once again, thanks for sharing, it takes gumption to own up to that kind of stuff.
  • jk0912
    jk0912 Posts: 8
    Options
    It's scary how things meant to make you "healthy" can be so horrible to your body. We didn't become fat overnight. As much as it sucks, slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for sharing.
    (:
  • jk0912
    jk0912 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. There are so many people out there who can't grasp the idea that it IS possible to lose weight with just diet and exercise.:heart:

Sad, but true.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you want to pick a diet, be smart about it. U.S. News came out with an article rating the most popular 25 diets based on which was most effective in general and which was most effective for specific health problems:

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have a dear friend who lost weight with one of these things. She lost a lot and is drop dead gorgeous (always is!) so ended up in a lot of papers and magazines. Those stories don't show how much she regained or how much she is still struggling with her weight. I think the two parts I find most disturbing are how difficult it is to stop and the power of the rep selling the stuff with a vested interest in your continuing to use the product *shudder*
  • needtoloseweight25
    Options
    Wow, and I was thinking about going on another diet, but remembered that they don't work!!!! However, lifestyle changes do. Sometimes, you must hit rock bottom on these fad diets and unfortunately for some of us it results in health issues. I becames constipated from all the fiber powder I was taking and all the diet teas I was drinking to lose excess quick weight. After a year like that I was up and down between 20 to 25 pounds lost. The only decision that you can make to lose weight and keep it off long term is healthy eating and regular exercise and I am glad we both figured that out in time. Your message will help those who are struggling to lose weight and are feeling desperate and could end up falling for one of these fad diets. Keep moving forward and wish you the best on your journey.