Anyone else lose weight with slim fast?

Options
Srdking
Srdking Posts: 84 Member
I have been on slim fast for two months now, and it's actually working for me! I been trying to find out what others success has been using the slim fast diet? Have you tried it? Did it work for you? Was it a fail?

I started it when I talked to my doctor about losing 55 pounds. He mentioned it to me and said it would be something I might want to try. So 8 weeks later, I'm still going strong on it. I'm so sick of the shakes! ;p But afraid if I switch to something else, it might not work as good for me as this is.

Any advice?

Replies

• jmorrisof2
    jmorrisof2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have tried Slim Fast as well but found that it isn't filling for me. I always end up hungry after. So I try to eat real food or I stick to Lean Cuisines.
  • queenjakubik
    Options
    I myself only do a partial slim fast diet. I drink the shakes for breakfast and occasionally lunch. But I mix it up every now and then with something low calorie but still filling and good for you. Try substituting a shake or bar for a cup of Greek yogurt (that's the best for you as far as calories, carbs, and fat goes!) with some fresh fruit. I love it with strawberries! Or you could substitute your breakfast shake for a low calorie cereal such as Special K. My point is as long as you change it up with healthy options that are about equal in calories it can make you feel like your getting to eat more!
    My mom is a firm believer in slim fast. That's how she always lost weight after having kids! And it really helped jump start my diet!

Good luck to you!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I use them for a snack because they don't fill me up for long. I have one almost every day for my afternoon snack.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried slim fast drinks. It gave me terrible gas:grumble:
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is, "Has anyone maintained the weight they lost with slim fast after returning to "real" food?" I would be interested in this answer as well.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Special K has the shakes try theirs maybe you might like the taste better or make your own using the whey protein powder if your getting burned out on the slim fast ones, Ive never tried using any type of shakes really just offering suggestions. Now that your steadiy losing and the slimfast got you going into the right direction try weaning yourself off if you think your at a point where you can do so and switch to a regular healthy diet since you have MFP as well to track your calories. Ive only tried the slim fast shakes 1 time several years ago and did not like the taste so I cant help you in that area. So how much have you lost in the 8 weeks of using them? Congrats on your success so far and Best of Luck getting to your goal
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been on slim fast for two months now, and it's actually working for me! I been trying to find out what others success has been using the slim fast diet? Have you tried it? Did it work for you? Was it a fail?

I started it when I talked to my doctor about losing 55 pounds. He mentioned it to me and said it would be something I might want to try. So 8 weeks later, I'm still going strong on it. I'm so sick of the shakes! ;p But afraid if I switch to something else, it might not work as good for me as this is.

Any advice?

Your last paragraph says it all ........" But afraid if I switch to something else, it might not work as good for me as this is."

Eventually you will have to start eating "real food" ...... what then? Yes, I have tried Slim Fast .... I lost weight. I DID NOT keep the weight off. To keep the weight off you have to LEARN how to eat properly. Slim Fast does not teach you that.

Maybe think of Slim Fast as your "kick start" to weight loss. Then transition into "regular" weight loss, because you will definitely need tools (knowledge) to keep the weight off in the future.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything in the slim fast "formula" that is working for you. I mean its not the slim fast that is making you lose weight, it is the lowering of your calorie intake. So if that is what works for you than go with it. But obviously as you have come to find out, it is not something you are going to be able to stick with for the rest of your life. Eating whole foods, limiting portions, and exercising HOWEVER IS something you could maintain for a lifetime without getting bored ....good luck :flowerforyou:
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    what teabea said, exactly. unless you want to drink those shakes for the rest of your life (and it doesn't sound like this is an option that thrills you).....

they're also really high in sugar, iirc, so not all that great for the system.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I actually just started the Slimfast plan today and was hoping to find some advice as well. I know that it isn't a "forever" plan but a good start to kick off my weight loss.
  • leftwondering
    Options
    I did try slimfast and managed to lose some weight but then I started to bloat and not lose weight, I think its because me and milk don't really get along and it made it hard for me to lose weight on it.
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    On the Slim Fast diet, you still have to eat 1,200 calories a day like MyFitnessPal recommends, so I don't think the "you'll eventually have to eat real food and gain weight" comments are necessarily true. If you are sick of the shakes, try mixing up your meals but still ensure that you are staying at 1,200 calories or not that much above that number.

I myself started the diet in early January. I love the shakes, but I was afraid that I would get sick of them and I didn't want to lose weight through suffering. There are some days in the week where I do the shakes 2 a day, but most often I only do the shakes once a day...and usually for lunch if I've had a heavy breakfast or planning to have a heavy meal. I mainly use this method because I don't like snacking and would rather put those calories into my actual meals. If I were you, I'd have the shakes once a day from now on--and then some days twice again--and try to make your other two meals healthy ones. Myfitnesspal makes it pretty easy because you can plan for your calories.

Also, Slim-Fast is actually packed with a lot of nutrients for your body. In the beginning, I was pretty doubtful about it; so I compared it to a protein shake from Trader Joe's and found that Slim-Fast had way more nutrients and stuff that is good for you by more than 50%.

Your weightloss will likely slow down a bit because you're eating solid foods as opposed to being on a sort of liquid diet, but you'll be able to learn to make yourself good meals :) Try it, it's worth it for a good lifestyle change.
  • JanaMatchett
    JanaMatchett Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have not done the actual Slim Fast diet, however, I do drink a comparable shake (HEB brand called Opti-Meal) for breakfast 90% of the time. It's so quick and easy to grab and low cal, etc. I have been counting my calories and all that stuff on here. If you have not filled out the fitness goals on here you should do so. If you are so limited to just the shakes and as you mentioned you are sick of them then you can ease into real foods that are also low cal and still lose the weight. Are you doing any aerobics or weight/strength training? I'd be glad to share some of my favorite meals with you that help me do this.
    By the way, my doctor told me that Weight Watchers is the only program he'd recommend cause it's as close to a normal diet as you can get....basically you are counting points but that is pretty much what I'm doing on here. I'm watching calories and fat, etc but I can choose what I eat. Makes it a lot easier. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can trade tips.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I lost around 15-18 pounds using the slim fast diet. I have yet to weigh in this week, so maybe more:) If I'm lucky. I have started some weight watchers. My plan is to let go of slim fast and move on to weight watchers. Thanks for all the great replies:)
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight I did slim fast and lost 60 pounds but, like you, lost interest in my lunch being a shake everyday (they did have a mac and cheese for awhile that was really good and I was really sad when they stopped selling it) I had no problem switching over to smaller lunches and a shake every now and then. I still lost 40 pounds after I stopped slim fast. I would suggest starting with pre-made meals either store bought or homemade till you get use to portion control but that's just me, I've always had a problem with eating too much and do better with only being able to eat what I have in front of me.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 pounds with Slim Fast a couple years ago (no, I did not keep it off). I liked the taste and never got sick of them, but I just stopped doing it. Now I try to stay away from processed foods so I am not using any meal replacements. Good thing about SF is that you don't have to think about food all the time. You just grab a shake and go. Great for busy people or those dealing with food obsession, also has a lot of vitamins if like me, you aren't great about taking a multi every day.
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I think the real question is, "Has anyone maintained the weight they lost with slim fast after returning to "real" food?" I would be interested in this answer as well.

I was in a program that was a strict fast for 20 weeks of nothing but bars, shakes and soups. No real food. I dropped about 80 lbs in about 5 months and then the rest of the year (about another 5 months) I maintained that weight loss when I switched back to food. I did this solely because of MFP. I simply logged my calories and tried to stay at a certain calorie count and kept exercising.

I went through the holidays and didnt eat very well, I was up and down about 5lbs to 8 lbs. I think as long as you use MFP as a tool and stay at a certain calorie count, you can maintain your life you want.
  • Queenb62303
    Options

I was in a program that was a strict fast for 20 weeks of nothing but bars, shakes and soups. No real food. I dropped about 80 lbs in about 5 months and then the rest of the year (about another 5 months) I maintained that weight loss when I switched back to food. I did this solely because of MFP. I simply logged my calories and tried to stay at a certain calorie count and kept exercising.

I went through the holidays and didnt eat very well, I was up and down about 5lbs to 8 lbs. I think as long as you use MFP as a tool and stay at a certain calorie count, you can maintain your life you want.

Inspiring, and very well put!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Anyone I knew who used slimfast gained all the weight back as soon as they stopped. It think healthy eating is a better choice. But that is my opinion. :drinker:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The shakes were never filling to me. But I do occasionally(or did now if I buy any bars its Lara bars or some other brand I can't remember right now that is made of sesame seeds) liked to use the meal replacement bars for breakfast and/or lunches. Its a quick thing to throw in the bag and it avoided many fast food pick ups in the middle of day while out. I usually eat them with fruit a banana or something and find it fills me pretty well as long as my mind is on other stuff.

I never did the whole program they were just occasional replacements.

ANY time you change habits and go back the weight is bound to come back. That is true of healthy eating going back to too many calories, big portions of healthy food can also bring it back. Just a thought. I think it can be a good way to stay on track calorie wise while you adjust to a exercise plan and slowly develop eating healthy portions of healthy food.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!