Why do people say mixed drinks have 64 cals???

Options
People keep posting that drinks you order from bars mixed with diet soda's only have 64 calories, why is this?

A shot in itself is about 100 calories. Bartenders AT LEAST put a shot in drinks more often than not more. 64 calories is one OUNCE of tequila, vodka, ect. I know sweeter drinks are normally more.

Replies

• HotSoupGirl
    Options
    Good point. The hourglass shot pourer thingy(if they even use it) has two sides the pony and the jigger.

The Pony is just an ounce and 64 cals
    The Jigger is 1.5 ounces and 96 cals

And there are many bartenders that I know who do a generous eyeball.. Great for your pocketbook.. Bad for your diet.. :)

Nice point.
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    Im not sure, I know when I scanned the barcode of my bacardi rum it says 69 calories per 1 oz
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Im not sure, I know when I scanned the barcode of my bacardi rum it says 69 calories per 1 oz
    I'm pretty sure they do this to make your liquor sound like it has less calories than it actually does. A shot is 1.5 oz... I just don't want some people to go out thinking they are having a 69 calorie drink when it is really about 100 or higher
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Good point. The hourglass shot pourer thingy(if they even use it) has two sides the pony and the jigger.

The Pony is just an ounce and 64 cals
    The Jigger is 1.5 ounces and 96 cals

And there are many bartenders that I know who do a generous eyeball.. Great for your pocketbook.. Bad for your diet.. :)

Nice point.
    I didn't know that... So you can ask for the pony side if you want? Cool
  • oyev
    oyev Posts: 2
    Options
    :noway: I think a full shot of Tequilla is better for you than one ounce of sugary rum and diet soda. Diet soad is a diet killer, in my opinion.

Oye vay!
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Traditionally, alcohol was sold in bars by the ounce, though they never labeled it as such. A traditional screwdriver would be one ounce of vodka, fill orange juice. This is where people get their numbers from, and that is why hard liquors will have calories given per ounce.

Like many aspects of recent culture, however, alcoholic drinks have grown in size and often potency. That is why one ounce is a lowball estimate.
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    So if I have 1 OZ of bacardi rum at home its not 69 calories like the barcode says? So does that mean that the other food that im scanning isnt right either or just the rum? Bacardi better not be lying to me dammit!
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What the barcode says is probably right or close enough that it won't make a huge difference. The concern is, especially if you are ordering a drink at a bar, that you're getting more than one ounce and therefore more calories than you think. I have heard it said, too, that a shot glass is an ounce, but there are different sizes of shot glass.

For me, best practice is to drink at home and use actual measuring cups/spoon/scale to make sure of how many ounces I'm consuming.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they are referring to a 'pub' measure of spirit?

In bars/pubs in the UK - spirits are sold in 25ml measures - this is just less an a fluid oz?

So - count the vodka/brandy/whisky/rum whatever at between 60 and 70 calories - and add diet coke/lemonade/tonic which has 0 or just a couple of calories.

I don't think it can mean mixed drinks such as cocktails -as they have perhaps a great volume of spirit, plus all the fruit juices.

Gosh - I miss alcohol..... been on the wagon for over two weeks now... not lost any weight thoug yet :)
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Basically get ready to SLAUGHTER your calorie count for the day if you plan to drink at a bar. Posts on here are right, you are getting more than one ounce when you order a cocktail at a bar.. Plus, mixers used at bars contain FAR MORE calories than mixers you would likely find at the grocery store.. Mixers like OJ, Sour mix, Cranberry, Grapefruit... are chock-full of calories. I've worked at a bar for a while and have read the labels.. It pretty much blew my mind. They use it because it is less expensive. I just stay away from the no-no drinks like Long Islands, Margaritas (which can be painful), and anything with juices or sodas and GRENADINE!!. I have found solace in tequila, neat, with a crap load of lime...or Vodka, splash of soda water, with a crap load of orange squeezed inside.. Mostly, I check out the fruit tray and ask them to muddle fruit, throw in a shot of Vodka, shake with ice, and strain.. If your bartender isn't a total blow dart, it should be amazing. Lastly though, if you're going to request a muddled drink you should tip your bartender.. :)

Cheers!!
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    Ya I usually only drink at home while we play cards an stuff in moderation since ive been working on this healhier lifestyle kick, but im leaving for Mexico on the 13th of Feb and im terrified cause everything there is fruity drinks and mucho rum!! I lost 6lbs there last year cause I couldnt eat alot of the food , I also did alot of the activities at the resort and alot of swimming and walking. Im not gonna not have fun when I go but I have no idea what im gonna have for drinks when I go ..any ideas?
  • deeR504
    deeR504 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Basically get ready to SLAUGHTER your calorie count for the day if you plan to drink at a bar. Posts on here are right, you are getting more than one ounce when you order a cocktail at a bar.. Plus, mixers used at bars contain FAR MORE calories than mixers you would likely find at the grocery store.. Mixers like OJ, Sour mix, Cranberry, Grapefruit... are chock-full of calories. I've worked at a bar for a while and have read the labels.. It pretty much blew my mind. They use it because it is less expensive. I just stay away from the no-no drinks like Long Islands, Margaritas (which can be painful), and anything with juices or sodas and GRENADINE!!. I have found solace in tequila, neat, with a crap load of lime...or Vodka, splash of soda water, with a crap load of orange squeezed inside.. Mostly, I check out the fruit tray and ask them to muddle fruit, throw in a shot of Vodka, shake with ice, and strain.. If your bartender isn't a total blow dart, it should be amazing. Lastly though, if you're going to request a muddled drink you should tip your bartender.. :)

Cheers!!

Exactly!!!
    I noticed how many calories were in my usual drinks cranberry & vodka, UV blueberry sprite and coke w/Disaronno and any hard cider lol! So I began to use diet sodas w/my alcohol which really does not affect the taste much since they all tend to be sweet. As for the hard cider I limit myself to one now and savor it + make sure I have worked out that day to earn my drink ;)
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    People keep posting that drinks you order from bars mixed with diet soda's only have 64 calories, why is this?

A shot in itself is about 100 calories. Bartenders AT LEAST put a shot in drinks more often than not more. 64 calories is one OUNCE of tequila, vodka, ect. I know sweeter drinks are normally more.

If you continually leave the bartender ****ty tips and are a **** to them, then they'll give you just a drop or two of alcohol in your captain and diet, thus it being virtually calorie free! Low cal and you you get to let out all your frustrations on the poor undeserving soul. :drinker:
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    Baja Bob's sugar-free mixers are pretty good, although they have artificial sweeteners in them.

What I like is equal parts Baja Bobs Margarita Mix and water, with 1 oz of tequila, on the rocks. The mixer is cut with water, so you don't get so much of the bad stuff (plus I like it better that way). And the 1 oz of liquor is only 60 some calories.

Of course, you have to stop at one if you want to keep the calories down.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    thats why i save my drinking at bars for special occasions/cheat days when i dont mind going over calories so much ;)
    plus my bartender loves me so my drinks are always strong and a lot of times theyre just drinks he made up at home and theres no real way to log it lol i do what i can.
    when i drink at home, i use 1oz shots and measure everything