Weight loss question

Options
So... I've been keeping really close to my diary, and exercising everyday, but the last couple of days my scale has told me that I've gained 1.6 pounds. This is really discouraging! Is this normal or do you guys think that I'm eating the wrong amount of calories? Help!!!!

Replies

• JennyWestveer
    JennyWestveer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Always go by your weight from 1st thing in the morning. You may have to adjust what you eat [healthier and probably more of it]. Also, [and I'm sure all females can attest to this] if it's around that time of month, you could possibly weigh slightly more due to bloating.....which always goes away when you're finished.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i've used this to calculate my body fat %

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/body_fat_calculator.htm

then this to check my caloric needs

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

if you click on the advanced there is katch-mccardle you can add the % and then it calculates for you.... hope this helps!
  • rickpick99
    Options
    For me that is normal, I may move up or down a couple of pounds. I weighed 212 on Monday morning, 211 yesterday and this morning back to 212.5. Maybe just water retention, not sure why.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My scale has been really jumpy the past week. Please know that you did not gain a pound and a half of fat in a few days. Even if you MFP #'s were off a bit or you sneaked a bite or two you wouldn't gain *that* much. You probably did gain a pound and a half of water. Salt can do it, hormones, muscle fatigue. My weight goes up the most mid-way through my cylce (ovulation). Also if you have been working out very strenuously the next day muscles will retain water. When I was half marathon training, I would run 10-12 miles and like clockwork the next day I would be up 4 pounds! I kid you not.

It is hard to be patient. I had my own little pitty party this week, but now that I've got my head screwed on straight I feel a lot better! Good luck!
  • ragekage21
    ragekage21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think your main issue is that you're weighing yourself every day. Everyone's weight fluctuates throughout the day/week, up to 2 lbs I believe it is. There's also water retention to consider if you're pre-menstrual.

I'd say drop down to weighing yourself once a week, and start measuring your inches as well. Sometimes, even if the scale isn't moving, your body is changing.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Any chance you've had a high sodium day or it's that time of the month or you did a different workout? Any of these will lead to water weight.

FYI, for future reference, it helps to have your diary public in order for folks to give really detailed input to help.
  • iamshells
    iamshells Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    how do your clothes fit? if they feel looser..i wouldnt worry about it.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    "Salt can do it, hormones, muscle fatigue"

Really about the muscle fatigue? I didn't know that!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!!! Hmm... I've been working out pretty hard everyday... so that must be it. I just didn't realize it'd be almost two pounds I'd gain!