Home workout or Gym work?

Options
which do you prefer and why? I am trying to get some ideas of what I can or should do...Thanks!

Replies

• NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. My boyfriend always invites me to the gym but I like the comfort of home and It's FREE!! I live by a 6 mile lake so I walk/run/jog that at least 3 times a week. I have wii so I run, use the balance board to do a step bench work out, yoga, and strength training on. I also have a jump rope if I ever decide to use it ;) There are many home videos you can acquire.

I'm just anti-social I suppose. But I love the freedom that working out at home provides.
  • kp82883
    kp82883 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person.

I personally prefer the gym because its more motivating to me. I like doing all the work out classes that are offered at the gym because of the motivation the instructor gives and the energy around me.

BUT there are some awesome work-out videos out there to assist at home. And of course, the privacy of your home and convenience is nice.

I think you can be successful in either as long as you are working hard and pulling your heart rate up into the weightloss zone.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I find that I workout much harder at the gym because the people around me motivate me! And I love lifting weights which means I wouldn't have access to all the equipment if I worked out at home.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Some people are motivated by the gym. Others hate it. Some can afford the gym, some can't. I don't have the money for a gym (yeah, they are a lot more expensive here than in the US) and I don't have the time to drive to one. I like to get out of bed, throw on some clothes, and go out for a run or do my DVD/wii/iPhone workouts. If I had to make myself presentable and drive to a gym and back (none in my area) I'd only be working 20-30 minutes instead of 1.5 hr in the morning, and forget any evening workouts.

Pam
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's January - you should be able to get some free "trial" days at a gym. Try it, see if you like it.

Do whatever you will be consistant at. For me it's working out at home; but other people hate to workout at home.

Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel with free streaming workouts, Netflix has a few also. Check your cable (satelite) to see if you have access to a fitness channel. Try a few workouts at home and see what you like.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Gyms are good because of all the equipment. I prefer working out at home though, no BS and just get the workout done. It can get expensive buying equipment and weights though. It's still better than buying a gym membership and not going to the gym. If your shy start off at home if you could care less about people looking at you go to the gym.
  • Anabannana07
    Anabannana07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to go to the gym because I tend to work out for longer and harder since I get embarrased to stop infront of the rest of the people. And when I work out at home I cant concentrate because then I see the dirty dishes and go do that, then I see the laundry pile and do that too. So I find it better to just get out of the house and work out at the gym. Besides I love the Sauna at my gym
  • Anabannana07
    Anabannana07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel with free streaming workouts, Netflix has a few also. Check your cable (satelite) to see if you have access to a fitness channel. Try a few workouts at home and see what you like.
    [/quote]

Thanks for sharing this I did not know that Hulu had fitness channels. I will have to try those out for when I cant go to the gym.
  • tkorthanke
    tkorthanke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work out at home just easier for me with my little girl. Not to mention it helps me save money which I need to do since I have to pay for daycare for my little one.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I totally prefer working out at the gym mostly because there is childcare. When I try working out at home my kids always walk in and distract me with some need they have.

I also like the gym because I make an effort to get out the door and get there so I'm less likely to wimp out on my workout once I'm there. I think "Heck, I'm here. I better bust it while I can!"
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I like both. Home is good because it is convenient and simple. I like the gym because we have a free 24/7 gym 1 min from my apartment and I like to run on the treadmill.
  • mgero212
    Options
    I love both. It all depends on how I am feeling and what I want to do. I love going to the gym to use the machines and attending their fun classes. There is also a hot tub and pool at my gym so I like going there for that too. If I need a break from the gym I do Just Dance 3 at home or Zumba 2. And if I am really waiting a good burn I do P90X.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the privacy of home, but I can't afford equipment, don't have a lot of space, and have downstairs neighbors who probably wouldn't appreciate the noise. It just wouldn't be practical. I go to the gym, but I go when it isn't busy so I can still be left alone. Plus then I have the option of classes, and there's no chance I'll get distracted half-way through my workout by "life". It's my time to just take care of me.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I feel I work harder at the gym than I do at home with a video or wii game. However, I do try to vary it up so I don't get bored. This fall I had a pretty good streak of going to the gym, but I just got SO bored with it. So now I am trying to do 3 days a week at the gym and 2 days a week with my wii games. I have not been good with motivation to actually go to the gym though and I've been doing the wii games a lot (hey, at least I'm doing something). I have my gym bag all packed and ready with me here at work and I am going to make myself go right after this. I think part of the problem for me right now is that I'm working on getting back in shape and right now I just can't do that much at once. I get kind of embarrassed going to the gym to only do 20 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the treadmill (walking on incline- not even running). On wii I try to do 20-30 minutes of either Just Dance or EA Active. EA Active is a lot harder. I've done wii fit and found it way too easy.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Home for me - I find the gym boring, 15minutes on the treadmill for example and I'm ready to quit through boredom. Get my running shoes out and step out the front door and I can go for as long as my lungs and legs will let me (currently 45-60minutes). Plus I'd rather not spend 4 quid for each time I want to do a class or use the gym machines. (That being said, I'll happily pay to use the pool - but it's half the price and I don't get bored swimming :happy: )
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    I agree, it's such a individual thing.
    I like both- and I enjoy mixing it up.

I have several fitness programs I like to do at home- TurboJam, ChaLEAN, Brazil Butt Lift, TaeBo, Insanity, etc.
    But there are days I just feel like getting out of the house and dropping the kids at the childcare center.
    The other perks of the gym too- the classes, the sauna :), etc.
    Nice to have both.

I do end up working out at home more during the week.... but I like having the option. Lucky that way I guess.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym. I am very busy and have and active family. If I were to try to workout at home I would be constantly distracted and accomplish nothing. The gym has been great and there is far more equipment than you would have at home.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i do both. i do my weight lifting at home, and cardio at the gym.
    in the warmer months i take walks/jogs around the lake with my kids and stuff like that too
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. I put on my iPod and get in a zone. I don't socialize while I'm there. It's all business. With three active kids, I'd have a very difficult time trying to workout at home.
  • shadiel
    shadiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use to like working out with the wii, but right now I am actually enjoying my gym work...I try to get in there 4-5 days a week...I am more motivated to go now because the gym is closer to where I move to. I am good with cardio just need more structure with ny strenght training...any suggestions?