30 day shred, can I do it?

Options
I have been impressed with the calorie burn and results everyone is getting from this workout. Here is my question:

Just over a year ago I had back surgery (fusion at level L5/S1). I have been running and doing light core/strength training, but beyond that am still a little scared to try more advanced exercise. Anybody with back pain or issues attempted this workout? Is it easy enough to modify for existing injuries? I'd hate to spend the money and find out I wasn't capable of doing it (yet!).

Replies

• msShari1
    Options
    it's not expensive and is easy to modify. Take your time and don't be in a hurry to move up the levels. It's not as scary as it sounds. Best of luck!
  • jktjcca
    jktjcca Posts: 62
    Options
    I would love to know also! I had a ruptured disk in my lower back in Oct 2010, and I am leery of doing some of these exercises for fear of what might happen.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had full on reconstructive surgery on my knee 2 years ago and get through it. Back pain may be a different story. Youtube has level 1 if you want to check it out and judge for yourself. It's cardio, strength, and abs. Jumping jacks, crunches, light weight training, that kind of thing. It's just a little more aggressive being that it's only 20 mins.
  • Khellerud
    Options
    My friend has back issues and she's been doing it...I would say just go easy on any of the excercises that irritate your back, but try to eventually do them, because it's only going to strengthen your back more. Talk to your doctor, too, I can't imagine they're not familiar with this workout - it's everywhere...and it works!!!!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    One of the girls who does the workout on the DVD is demonstrating modified versions of the moves for lower impact. You could maybe follow her first to see how it goes. I love the Shred :smile:
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Good to know I can find a preview online!
  • bander21
    bander21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I broke my pelvis a year ago, and had neurological surgery on my spine between my C2 and C3. I do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Some moves I modify. But Most are doable! Just take it easy!!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too! Thanks guys!!
  • TammyN71
    Options
    I also had surgery on L5/S1 - microdiscectomy - 3 years ago. My back did hurt a little from this workout. In fact, I was too afraid to do much of anything at all, therefore, gained quite a bit of weight. I have been doing Turbo Fire for 4 1/2 weeks now and absolutely love it. My back feels great and I know that I am strengthening my core again. Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • Corryn78
    Options
    My Dr. has said the fusion is holding, so I should do any and all exercise that doesn't cause pain. I will look for the DVD and get started!! THANK YOU ALL!
  • digitalmayhap
    digitalmayhap Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have metal rods screwed to my spine.

While I haven't done 30DS, I have done P90 and am currently doing a bodybuilder routine. Not sure if this answers your question or not
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sister! I had similar surgery in 2003 (L5 partially removed) and I would encourage you to get your doctor's advice if you are genuinely concerned.

I am not familiar with the Shred workout, so I can't speak directly to the program. But you should consider what your MD told you at your last post-op appointment. Were you released to resume activity, including exercise? Were you given any limitations? Were you told that there was any danger of the surgery failing after a year's healing?

After my surgery, my only limitations no driving for the first week and no twisting at the waist for 6 weeks. Check back with your Doc if you can't remember the specifics.

Do you currently have residual back pain? If not, may I gently encourage you to not think of yourself as having an existing injury any longer. Is it possible that you are limiting yourself more than is necessary?

Have I mentioned checking with your Doctor? (Smile)

Blessings!
  • BizReynoldsS
    Options
    I had surgery on ruptured discs between L4/L5 and L5/S1. I did Jh 30 Day Shred. I've done JH's Ripped in 30 ( which is more intense than 30 day shred) and I've done P90X. You do have to be careful when doing any exercises, make sure you are supporting your lower back, by posture. ( I use a mirror, especially when it comes to lifting weights) And don't use weights that are too heavy. I used 5lbs and am now up to 10lbs. You'll find out quickly that some exercises are just not good for the lower back. (like supermans) Just go slowly, listen to your body. AND get a Doctor's OKAY before doing anything. :) Hope this helps! (I'm not pain free and probably will never be, but it's not going to stop me from exercise) A strong core is very good for back pain. P.S This is just MY experience.
  • Corryn78
    Options
    I am also not pain free, but SO much better than I have been in the last nearly 10 years. I am 14 months out from surgery, and cleared to resume all activity that does not cause increased pain (real specific, huh).

After my 5 day hospital stay, I was off work for 12 weeks and then started pool PT. After that I began walking, and eventually added jogging intervals. It's been a long haul, but worth it.
  • gammybear
    Options
    I have a fusion at L-4,L-5,S-1 and a blown disc (for about 3 years) at L-3.I have been working with this DVD and at first I hurt a little but then it was fine.Guess I just had to work the back out after sooo many years of protecting it.Good Luck!!
  • jktjcca
    Options
    Does anyone have an update on this subject? Have you been using the workout and what is the response with the back pain? Thanks! :)