Adjusting calorie intake allowance based on new weight

Options
Hi everyone - just wondering if anyone has experience with whether or not we're supposed to be adjusting our settings based on weight loss. For instance, I've lost 7 pounds since starting, but still have the same goal of reaching 128. Should I re-evaluate how many calories I should be eating based on my new weight of 139 I would assume it changes based on how much you weigh currently. I believe on WW we were advised to take our new weight and revise our nutrition goals every 6 weeks. Any input will help. Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi everyone - just wondering if anyone has experience with whether or not we're supposed to be adjusting our settings based on weight loss. For instance, I've lost 7 pounds since starting, but still have the same goal of reaching 128. Should I re-evaluate how many calories I should be eating based on my new weight of 139 I would assume it changes based on how much you weigh currently. I believe on WW we were advised to take our new weight and revise our nutrition goals every 6 weeks. Any input will help. Thanks!

You should evaluate your situation as you lose weight. Also, look to set your deficit at .5 lb per week. As you approach your goals, it's even more important to have the additional calories to continue to lose weight.
  • AbbeySue9585
    Options
    Thank you! Do you suggest any certain time frame to do this? Every week? Two weeks?
  • AbbeySue9585
    Options
    Just played around with MFP for a while and it seems like when you record your weight loss on the "weigh in" day - it automatically changes your current weight for you under your account "settings" - so it seems like they most likely also change your allowances based on your goals and current weight - all automatically.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I did not touch my settings until I reached my goal weight. When my goal was met I changed my goal to maintain and it adjusted it for me. :drinker:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you! Do you suggest any certain time frame to do this? Every week? Two weeks?
    Not really a time frame, but every 5-10 lbs lost, you can adjust. I personally adjust every 90 days as that is when i remeasure my body fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    The calories-alotted only changes with each ten pounds of loss, and only if you have reached a lower BMR by hitting that ten pounds.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I know for every 10lbs you lose MFP asks if you want to reset your stuff for your new weight, and then you have the choice of yes or no, and if you choose yes then it'll ask you if you want to wait for another 10lb loss for it to reset again (sorry reset is a bad word but it's late and all I can think of right now) or not, if you choose not it'll ask to change every time you weigh in, otherwise it'll ask again after another 10lbs.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    I set mine to maintain and all I need to do is keep at least 500 calories remaining. Though this is completely psychological but seeing 492 remaining looks much better than 8 calories over. Also gives you a reminder of how you are going to fit in these extra 500 calories after you hit your goal weight.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your BMR automatically adjusts as weight changes (mine is estimated at about 30 calories lower than when I started). Your calorie limit might change, depending on what your goal is (i.e. previoiusly you could eat net 1360 and lose a pound a week now you have to eat 1330 to lose a pound a week). Your settings (i.e., my goal is to lose x a week) have to be manually changed.