Moving to Las Vegas, need help on areas to live

Options
MsMuniz
MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
My husband was just offered a job in Las Vegas. We are currently in Orlando so house hunting is a little difficult. Does anyone know what areas are safe, where should we look at houses (we are looking to rent for now)? We were only there for a day, some areas we drove around in were very sketchy and others looked really nice. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Summerlin is the best area, North Las Vegas and Henderson are not far off and are a bit cheaper. Prices on real estate have really come down there in the past two years. If you enjoy hiking, I'd recommend Summerlin or North Las Vegas. They put you closest to Red Rock and the mountains, which are awesome most of the year.

PM me if you'd like more specifics.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    thank you, thank you! I may message you for more information after we look around on-line tonight :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Summerlin is the best area, North Las Vegas and Henderson are not far off and are a bit cheaper. Prices on real estate have really come down there in the past two years. If you enjoy hiking, I'd recommend Summerlin or North Las Vegas. They put you closest to Red Rock and the mountains, which are awesome most of the year.

I was going to say Summerlin too. Lived there for five years. Close enough yet far enough from the action, close enough to go hiking or to the lake too! Loved living there.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I would definately not live in vegas itself, I would go a little east to henderson or boulder city, there are some very nice places in henderson.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Henderson! I lived there with my 3 kids and husband. Beautiful area, clean everything is close and not too far from the fun either. :)
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Within walking distance of the Spearmint Rhino.
  • lalavogl
    Options
    My husband, kids and I live in Henderson now. GREAT schools!!! Especially Green Valley High. Henderson is very developed and greener to me than other parts of Vegas. We love it here. Message me if you need. :) Good luck to you!!!
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    My inlaws live in Henderson and my husband graduated from Green Valley High! It's a nice area. We like visiting there. Summerlin is also nice as others have stated. If we were to move out there with our family, we would probably look in Henderson :)
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

I was going to say Summerlin too. Lived there for five years. Close enough yet far enough from the action, close enough to go hiking or to the lake too! Loved living there.

We lived in Las Vegas for the last 10 years and are currently in the process of relocating to Connecticut. We lived in Summerlin and absolutely LOVED it! The other area I would recommend looking in is Anthem Country Club in Henderson.

Best of luck and let me know if you have questions!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love Boulder City! That's where I live and it's fantastic. If you don't mind a 20 min. commute to work (well depends on where you work). No gambling in BC and has great schools.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    I would say it depends where his work is at. Living in the NW side of town or NE is a ***** because of the I-15 is always super jam packed. anywhere connected to the 215 is always great.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    lmao!
    Within walking distance of the Spearmint Rhino.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Next door to "Thunder down Under"! :love: Nom, nom!!
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I lived in Vegas for 5 years and bounced around from the west side to the east side, and to be honest Summerlin was by far my favourite.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I used to live in the NorthWest part of the valley known as Aliante... it's a newer and fairly nice area. I would definitely recommend Summerlin, Aliante, Anthem (Henderson) or Green Valley. Stay away from the east side of town if you can help it.

I lived there for 15 years before recently relocating to Idaho. I worked all over the valley so am familiar with all the areas. You can message me if you want to know more about specific areas, like if you know what the cross streets are but are unfamiliar with the area.

Good Luck!
  • Aday83
    Aday83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depending on what side of town you are on, I would recommend Summerlin, Centennial Hills or Green Valley. Avoid North Las Vegas like the plague! Enjoy your move! =o)
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You should have your husband check with his new company to see if they have any resources that can assist with his relo. Maybe they can help defray the cost. Hopefully he negotiated something like that. We moved from NH to CA and my company paid 100% of that move and then we recently moved from CA to CT and onced again they paid 100% of that move and put us up for 60 days untiul we found a house to buy. It is all part of how well you can negotiate.....everything is negotiable!
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I love Las Vegas,I visit every year.Henderson is very nice.I wish you guys luck.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Las-Vegas-Condos-2.jpg
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I would LOVE to be in your place!! I LOVE Vegas!! Hoping to hear all about the move!!