Weak and tearing nails (not sure where to post this)

Options
Perhaps it's just winter, but my weak nails seem weaker recently. They have always been overly-flexible but now they are beginning to rip not just at the ends but almost peel away layer by layer on the surface. I have already had one nail tear enough away to leave very sensitive skin open and have lost almost an entire toenail, and about 3 more fingernails don't seem that far behind. Do I need calcium chews? I take a multivitamin and eat yogurt on almost a daily basis; I used to drink more milk than I do now (I really just drink water and wine now!). Any thoughts?

Replies

• patmc35
    patmc35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sounds like some kind of a deficency. I would go to a doctor
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to answer for this. My nails are doing the same thing.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound like your mother here, but "are you taking your vitamins?" You need Vitamin A, D and calcium for good nail growth. Mine were super brittle for the longest time and now I know it was because my Vitamin D level was in the crapper. Then last year I stopped all dairy and it happened again. I now take a Vitamin D3 and calcium supplement along with my Fish Oil and multi vitamin. My nails grow a lot thicker and faster now!
  • 625mfcpcherie
    Options
    I don't know if it could be the same thing or not, but my grammas nails were like that and she was potassium deficient. Once she started taking potassium supplements (which you can get plenty of potassium in your diet if you try) she had the strongest, healthiest nails ever! I know that when I started taking a "water pill" to help control my high blood pressure I had a potassium deficiency that caused cramping in my feet and legs and the doctor prescribed a pottasium supplement that I only had to take when needed. Perhaps your diet efforts include a higher intake of water which is iteself a natural diuretic and you are losing potassium that way??? In any case, good luck!!!
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This could be vitamin D related. Which can be thyroid related. It sounds like your case is pretty severe, so if you have not had blood work in the last 90 days I would recommend you call your doctor very soon. Better to play it safe.
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had the same problem. Mine started after I had fake nails removed and was dieting a while. I spoke with a nurse at the gym I went to at the time and she said to take Biotin. I took the amount recomended on the bottle for about 6 months and my nails are fine now. Now I take it for one week a month to maintain.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin which supports healthy nails and hair. It's worked for me like nothing else and is relatively cheap too :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Mine are just the same, but they always have been. The only time I have had even slightly normal fingernails was when I was pregnant.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem - since I took my acrylic nails off, about 3 years ago. Wore them for over a dozen years. They are wavey - looking from the side, there's waves in some of them. Others have definite lines/ridges going top to bottom. saw my reg. Dr who's sending me to a determatologist. Might be some vitamin/mineral deficiency - hope to know more later.
    My 2 thumb nails are the worst - and of couse, they both broke VERY high up and I feel like someone's got a sledgehammer to them and pounding the c**p out of them! OYE - it hurts.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I'm hearing Vitamin D deficiency and to take Biotin. I am quite Vitamin D deficient and was taking 50,000 units once a week for a month, and now 2,000 units a day (.... when I remember to take them). Think I'll try the biotin.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nails have always been my one good feature. But lately mine have been awful! I think it is because of the dry winter air. Also, I have been on a cleaning spree and I never wear rubber gloves. I think all of those cleaners are messing up my nails.

I am hypothyroid and D-deficient and I take supplements of both. Just had my levels re-checked Friday - hmmmmm... dr hasn't called yet.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have never given a thought to nails, mine were always awful, brittle and I bit them or picked at them. But in the last year or so they have been growing and strong....the difference? Sunflower seeds and Pumpkin seeds. I eat a ton of them now ( I have a son who is allergic to nuts, so we switched to all seeds in our house.....). Anyway, I started noticing my nails finally growing and looked it up--and evidently seeds are known for helping with this.

Maybe give them a try?