HIIT-thoughts??

Options

Replies

• grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love it tabata-style. The treadmill doesn't work so well bc it ramps up too slowly. I just run outside and alternate all-in sprints with walking/catching my breath. Burns like a mofo and feels AWESOME. There's a fab app, tabata timer which works perfectly for me.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do one or two interval runs a week. i do it on the treadmill, because i can keep better track of the speed and time. 6.5 mph for 2 minutes, and then 1 minute at 8.5 mph.

yeah, its a sick burn. i'll do it for about 15 minutes and just be dripping in sweat after.

I would fall off

i feel like a bad *kitten*. i get weird looks from people at the gym.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned about HIIT you don't want to jump Right into it. It's for people who have some experience and endurance already. Also, it's good as a compliment to Strength training but strength training should be the key component. where HIIT should be done maybe 2-3 times a week max.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android, I recommend an App called HIIT interval training timer. You set your own warm up and cool down time, the time to go heavy, the time to ease off, and the number of intervals, then it will blow a whistle to start and stop each stage- works over the music player too.

Handy as you can concentrate on your speed rather than clock watching. I do it on my spinning bike at home, great burn.

And fasting? Why?
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    If you have an Android, I recommend an App called HIIT interval training timer. You set your own warm up and cool down time, the time to go heavy, the time to ease off, and the number of intervals, then it will blow a whistle to start and stop each stage- works over the music player too.

Handy as you can concentrate on your speed rather than clock watching. I do it on my spinning bike at home, great burn.

And fasting? Why?

I'll have to check this out.
  • pinkprincessmama
    pinkprincessmama Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to set the treadmill to automatically speed up ever 30 sec (or whatever interval) or do you just manually adjust it constantly? Any tips for that? Great feedback people, thanks!

Wondering this myself....
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

And fasting? Why?

thanks, i'll check this out!

I'll have to check this out
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    "Is there a way to set the treadmill to automatically speed up ever 30 sec (or whatever interval) or do you just manually adjust it constantly? Any tips for that? Great feedback people, thanks! "

On the treadmills in my gym, there is an "interval" button. I program in for the "jog", hit enter and then program in for the run speed. When I'm ready to run, I hit the interval button again and the treadmill automatically goes to the run speed. Hit it again and it will take me back to the jog speed. Hope that made sense. Of course, all treadmills are not alike.
  • tamaradarlene
    tamaradarlene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "Is there a way to set the treadmill to automatically speed up ever 30 sec (or whatever interval) or do you just manually adjust it constantly? Any tips for that? Great feedback people, thanks! "

On the treadmills in my gym, there is an "interval" button. I program in for the "jog", hit enter and then program in for the run speed. When I'm ready to run, I hit the interval button again and the treadmill automatically goes to the run speed. Hit it again and it will take me back to the jog speed. Hope that made sense. Of course, all treadmills are not alike.

awesome thanks!
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    HIIT training is amazing. I love it and use it almost exclusively for my cardio. Don't try to jump into a hardcore routine right away though, get into it slowly and do it a maximum 3 or 4 times a week. It is even more effective when not used with treadmills such as sprints on a track or basketball court.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    Love love love em :) They are my fav kind of workout and I would do em every day if it were allowed! I have seen such super results with them too (using TurboFire & intervals on elliptic for my HIITs) I will never go back to a steady slow workout, even my ankles are skinnier :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Big fan of HIIT. It's like working smarter and working harder rolled into one. :)
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options

And fasting? Why?

Yay for the app! Adding it to my routine today.

I usually just sprint for as long as I can and then walk for a bit and then repeat. This will be helpful to actually time it.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to set the treadmill to automatically speed up ever 30 sec (or whatever interval) or do you just manually adjust it constantly? Any tips for that? Great feedback people, thanks!

there is a button on the treadmills at my gym labeled "speed interval" you press it and enter what you want as your jogging speed and then your runninn speed, every time you press it will switch your speed for you. try doing the C25K program, it is basically HIIT but towards the end you will run non stop. even if you just do the first few weeks of it you will improve your running and be able to go faster
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    As for HIIT, it is great.

As I expected when you asked about IF as well, the responses would be mainly against because people have never actually researched it. If you want IF information join up the Intermittent Fasting group here.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am on Phase 3 of the Jamie Eason plan and we just started HIIT, for today, it's 30 secs sprint (treadmill at 8) then rest for 30 secs, and repeat for 30 minutes!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

awesome thanks!
    Oh, I leave the treadmill at 8 but then I jump to put my feet to the sides while resting.
  • btah02
    btah02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love HIIT. Have been stalled for months, started my Turbo Fire again with HIITS and also a new treadmill HIIT I found on google, and love them both. Down 5 lbs in 3 weeks, which is awesome considering how long I have been stuck. I also do strength training immediately after HIIT, and a light jog/walk on the off days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on High intensity interval training and intermittent fasting, wondering if anyone does this and your thoughts on it. What has been your experience?
    I instruct HIIT and do HIIT for myself. One of the best ways increase RMR is HIIT training. Also you increase your VO2 max.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition