I'm back

Options
Hello MFP friends!! I'm back. I have taken off the past 33 days of my diet. But, for very very good reasons. I quit smoking!! I did it!! I am so happy. I am 33 days smoke free!!! =-) I have also gained about 13 pounds. I have a good quit under my belt and I am ready to do this.

I wasn't sure exactly how to do it before. I have never lost weight without smoking before and my mind started playing tricks on me telling me that I could not do it. So, I just continued to overeat. When you quit smoking and you are having a weak moment, you have to say HALT. H-hungry A-Angry L-Lonely T-tired?? You ask yourself if you are any of these things. They are triggers. So yesterday, I wanted to eat again and I said HALT. Hungry-not anymore Angry? no L-lonely? no Tired- yes very!! I have been eating alot lately because of one of those reasons. Hungry and maybe tired are the only acceptable reasons but I have been trying to hold my smoking quit and I haven't really gave a darn about the weight. One will come after the other!! I can always lose weight, but I cannot just lose lung cancer!!

Part of me is very excited and very ready to start this over. Another part of me is slightly nervous and wonders what is going to be next?? When I first came to MFP, I lost 10 pounds that I had gained over the holidays. That 10 pounds led me to want a healthier lifestyle so I quit smoking. I knew that I would gain back the weight that I lost and I was prepared for that. At one point, I even tried to tell myself that if I could just take in my max maintanence calories for the day. I didn't follow that either. But here I am. I'm back and I am healthy and happy. I feel wonderful that I quit smoking and I am looking foward to losing this weight!!

Replies

• its time for change
    Options
    Hello MFP friends!! I'm back. I have taken off the past 33 days of my diet. But, for very very good reasons. I quit smoking!! I did it!! I am so happy. I am 33 days smoke free!!! =-) I have also gained about 13 pounds. I have a good quit under my belt and I am ready to do this.

I wasn't sure exactly how to do it before. I have never lost weight without smoking before and my mind started playing tricks on me telling me that I could not do it. So, I just continued to overeat. When you quit smoking and you are having a weak moment, you have to say HALT. H-hungry A-Angry L-Lonely T-tired?? You ask yourself if you are any of these things. They are triggers. So yesterday, I wanted to eat again and I said HALT. Hungry-not anymore Angry? no L-lonely? no Tired- yes very!! I have been eating alot lately because of one of those reasons. Hungry and maybe tired are the only acceptable reasons but I have been trying to hold my smoking quit and I haven't really gave a darn about the weight. One will come after the other!! I can always lose weight, but I cannot just lose lung cancer!!

Part of me is very excited and very ready to start this over. Another part of me is slightly nervous and wonders what is going to be next?? When I first came to MFP, I lost 10 pounds that I had gained over the holidays. That 10 pounds led me to want a healthier lifestyle so I quit smoking. I knew that I would gain back the weight that I lost and I was prepared for that. At one point, I even tried to tell myself that if I could just take in my max maintanence calories for the day. I didn't follow that either. But here I am. I'm back and I am healthy and happy. I feel wonderful that I quit smoking and I am looking foward to losing this weight!!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    We are glad you are back AND smoke free! That's an accomplishment! We are here for you!
    :happy:
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    Give yourself a huge pat on the back for quitting smoking!! That is such a wonderful thing. I bet the air smells so much better. I have begged my hubby for 9 years to quit. He tries and will go a couple of days but something stressful happens and he picks right back up. He has tried again and does one a day, but honestly I don't believe him and think that he is doing more.

I love the HALT motivational technique. What a great way to really ask yourself if food is what you really want.

Good luck losing those ugly 13 pounds! :bigsmile:
  • weightlossinprogress
    weightlossinprogress Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :flowerforyou:

I wish you luck on your weight loss journey....

Patricia
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome backs!! I am very excited about this. I am actually starting to feel hungry again this morning!! Yea!! I have not been hungry in 33 days, lol.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!! and welcome back!! So far I'm going on just over a week!! I'm just wondering though is there anyone out there who has quit smoking and not gained any weight? So far I haven't gained any but also haven't lost any either!! And unfortunately I have a feeling if I did end up gaining I would cave in and light up! It's a huge huge deal for me that I don't gain anything.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulaions and welcome back :drinker:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Great to have you back!!! Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you...welcome back...if you can quit smoking, you can do anything your heart desires!