Body Fat Calliper Question

Does it matter what time of day you measure your body fat %? For instance, when you weigh yourself on a scale, for the most accurate results you should weigh yourself in the morning as soon as you wake up but before you use the bathroom. Is the same true for body fat callipers? I use a handheld device at the gym.

Replies

• I'm not too sure but I weigh myself morning and night to better assess what I need to do to retain or remain at my target weight. It's my understanding that weighing/measuring body fat is the best way to calculate body fat. Scales are great for initial weight lost... but after a while you develop muscle and that increases with training. Consider body fat drivers or if you go to a gym, speak t someone about it. You see that you may gain a little but did not gain body fat. Scales can be misleading for that reason...

Again I’m not too sure about the driver you’re mentioning but wanted to speak out from experience.

Off to the gym now, have a good night.

Denis
  • its always best to do measurements before a workout because your fluid balances change and can have an effect. This moreso effects when you are using the electrodes to determine body composition. But I would measure with calipers before, as well. (If given a choice)
  • Thanks for the advice!! :happy:
  • Yep, I can speak to the calipers.
    It's best to go with before you workout for the day due to fluctuations in body fluid; after a workout will likely give you larger mm measurements at each site. Other than that, time of day does not matter.