Protein help

I don't think i get enough protein.... well, i guess i know i don't get enough protein. I was thinking about adding a protein shake to my diet, but i'm curious what others think. Anyone else have low protein intake? Have ideas for me? Thoughts about shakes? Thanks!

Replies

• There are tons of bad recommendations out there for protein intake.
    Here's the equation (backed by nutrition research time and time again): your body weight in kg x .08 = grams of protein daily
    (divide your body weight in pounds by 2.2 in order to get your body weight in kilograms)

If you are very active, then you can increase that 0.8 to up to 1.5 or so. I choose to use 1.2 for my number based my my solid activity level.

Note that your body can only use 20 grams of protein at one time (backed by research), so it's important that you do not overload yourself with huge amounts of protein as your body will be its effiecient self and use those extra calories to be stored around the waistline. Protein throughout the day is important and especially protein after a workout to help the muscle rebulding process.
    If you go with a protein shake, choose whey protein as it is the most effective according to sports nutrition research.
  • CORRECTION!! :noway:
    Equation -> Your body weight in kg x 0.8
    (not .08!!)