Medication and Weight Loss

Options
I suffer from anxiety. I also have thyroid issues, had it removed about a year ago, and now am on synthroid. Anyways, will anti- anxiety medication slow down my metabolism? I lost weight very quickly in the beginning, seem to be platueaing, but now the scal is slowly starting to go down again. Anyone out there have any thoughts?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would read up on the medication and ask the Doctor. They would be more qualified to answer your questions.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The anti anxiety medication will only slow your metabolism if it knocks your activity level down. When given a choice between anxiety and weight loss, which is your priority? If you are still losing with the medication then I would say there is no problem. Gradual weight loss is ideal.

More importantly, would going off the medication throw you into a tail spin? Would that hurt your efforts to lose weight? Consider the pros and cons and do not make any changes to your medication dosing without talking to your doctor first.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    That very much depends on the meds. Some meds slow the metabolism down, others again don't slow it down but increase appetite.

I'm on Mirtazapine for anxiety and depression and my doctor said that these meds DO slow the metabolism down. I haven't really been able to lose much weight and found it a lot easier to actually gain weight. being on mirta (former remeron) i've gained 3 pounds and have lost only 2 pounds in like two months. my doctor said that's due to the meds and as soon as i go off them, the weight will drop as the metabolism goes back to normal. but of course this is different for everyone, i know someone who started antidepressants and gained 25 pounds in 5 weeks and lost the weight (or most of it) as soon as he switched to another medication.

But it seems that a lot of mood stabilizers and antidepressants do increase appetite. I think as long as you don't overeat and tell yourself that the hunger is just a reaction to the meds, you should be fine.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about your meds but researching it would be the first stop, but we all plateau. I lost 20 lbs in my first month like it was nothing and then the hard work really came into play. So plateauing is part of the weight loss journey.
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am also on Synthroid! My thyroid doesn't work...I use to be on Anxiety medicine BECAUSE of my thyroid not working..if they have your levels figured out i say you will be fine getting off anxiety medicine...after we figured out that my anxiety was due to my thyroid the synthroid got my thyroid levels normal and I do just fine! They say ANY of that Anxiety/Depression medicine will make you gain AT LEAST 10 pounds and make it hard to get motivated! I suggest getting off but ask your doc! Thyroid can cause A LOT of problems...u should be good now with Synthroid! Good Luck :) Sucks at first but after you get levels normal you will do just fine!
  • bonimag
    bonimag Posts: 16
    Options
    Im alil affraid because I use Metformin and Wellboutrin...anyone knows about this medicines and weight loss issues?
  • shelleycronan
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I will talk to my MD at my next visit. I hope the meds are not sabotaging my weight loss.

I used to take wellbutrin a long time ago, it did make me gain weight. I was also trying to quit smoking, so it was probably a little of both.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    I'm on Synthriod and Metformin and I seem to be doing fine. When I wasn't on Synthyriod and just found out that my thyriod didn't produce enough hormone and my body was producing too much insulin, that was when I was gainning. But now that it is under control, I am losing...slowly!

I had to do lots of bloodwork to find all this out...so asking the doc lots of questions helped me to start focusing on my weight loss.

Good Luck to you.