Too much protein?

Hey I am a bit over my protein goal for the day. but is that ok if I intend on working out later? Is too much protein only unfavorable if you are inactive? (Things have been told by experts, doctors or other professionals or your own personal experience is perfectly acceptable to answer my question) Thanks :)

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I changed my macronutrient goals to set my protein higher. I like it around 80-100g/day
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    going over on protein is only an issue if you have kidney problems. also, MFPs defaults are very low anyway, so IMO its ok to go over. or you can adjust your settings so that you get more protein "allowed" each day
  • Protein intake for the day should be (backed by nutrition research):
    your body weight in kg x 0.8
    (divide your body weight in pounds by 2.2 in order to get body weight in kilograms)

Now, if you are regularly active, you can increase that 0.8 number a bit. I am highly active, so I use 1.2 for my number within the equation; note that you really don't want to go over 1.5. Good luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Protein is way too low on the MFP defaults. You should aim for 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass, or your ideal weight. I customized my macros to 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fats. I really don't get as hungry if I meet my protein goals.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    I do resistance training 2-3 days a week and consume 1 gram per pound of Lean Body Mass per day, which is roughly 35 - 40% of my calorie intake. It works very well for me.

In any case, I would not sweat going over your MFP default goal. It is insanely low.