How long to lose 45lbs?

Options
How long do you think it will take to lose 45lbs? I am staying within my calories apart from today as I have changed my goal :( and I am doing at least 4 30min workouts a week x

Replies

• chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    With an avg loss of 5lbs per month nine months or so. But everyone loses at a different pace
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43. I started last May. I haven't lost anything since before Christmas though (sigh)---so it was from May 1 to the middle of December that it took to lose these 43. I'm 5'4" and I started at 180lbs. Despite good effort, it has gotten much, much harder for me to lose weight lately.
  • sianywest23
    Options
    I'm a bit worried as I lost 2st before joining mfp and I just stopped losing about a week before xmas stayed the same for a month and then put a bit of weight back on only a few lbs but I now need to get seriously back on track to look good in my wedding dress any tips to stay on track x
  • mrh1227
    mrh1227 Posts: 37
    Options
    If you want to lose a large amount of weight fast, the biggest thing to improve on is your diet, and focus on fat burning exercise.

For example, avoid certain foods that may contain large amounts of the following: Sugar, "Empty calories", carbs, saturated and trans fats, sodium, and certain dairy products. Here is why:

Sugar: 1 gram of sugar is equal to approximately 4 calories. For this reason, food can fool you into thinking it has less calories than it really has.

"Empty Calories": An empty calorie is a calorie that provides no energy to the body at all, likely meaning it is lacking in nutrients. Fast foods, soft drinks, beers, and other popular "unhealthy" foods are usually empty calories.

Carbs: Carbs break down into sugars, which then turn into calories. While you don't want to cut carbs out completely (as they supply a great deal of energy to the body), cautious as to what carbs you eat. For example, instead of having a baked potato, have a baked SWEET potato. Not only do the carbs provide you with more energy than in regular potatoes, but they are chock-full of nutrients. Also, make sure most other carbs you intake are whole grain or whole wheat.

Saturated and trans fats: This goes without saying. Saturated and Trans fats don't digest as well as certain other fats. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, and can cause raises in bad cholesterol. Trans fats also raise bad cholesterol, but alongside of this they also lower good cholesterol.

Sodium: This can actually be remedied by drinking larger amounts of water. If you intake too much sodium, it retains water weight in your body, unless you drink large amounts of water and flush it out.

Dairy: While some dairy products that have skim milk are understandable, dairy products are basically pools of fat. The more of them you cut out, the better your results will be.

Fat burning exercises: There are a number of directions you can take with this one. Normally, a fat burning exercise means your heart rate is pumping at a low enough rate to burn fat, but not specifically target cardiovascular exercise. Both of these are still good though, as you'll be burning calories either way.

One thing to look into is interval training, that is the idea of working hard for short spurts, followed by a low intensity workout period, and constantly causing confusion within the body by switching between the two. For example, run for 10mph for 30 seconds, than jog/walk at 3 for a minute, and keep that pattern going over and over again.

Put some of these suggestions to work and you may just reach your goal sooner than you think. If you have any further questions, feel free to add me and contact me. You got this :)
  • mrh1227
    Options
    Also please note, it is a survival instinct that our body retains weight and craves food more in the colder months, so don't feel discouraged if you aren't seeing immediate progress. You can overcome it if you push hard enough!
  • sianywest23
    Options
    Thank you for that I have cut out tea and coffee as was having a lot of sugar with them now drink fruit tea or green tea cut out fizzy drinks a few months ago and I have lowered the carbs this week all those tips will come in very handy thanks again
  • mrh1227
    Options
    No problem. Keep at it! A helpful tip for the tea, 8 oz of green tea, twice a day, helps a ton! I don't do that as often as I used to, but the antioxidants really do fuel you. :)
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 45lbs too. So far I've lost 9. But for a few months I wasn't trying very hard, so that much has probably taken about a month and a half.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also please note, it is a survival instinct that our body retains weight and craves food more in the colder months, so don't feel discouraged if you aren't seeing immediate progress.

I didn't know that!! It makes a lot of sense though.
  • sianywest23
    Options
    I dont like it much so only have 1 cup a day but I'm having boiled water and lemon in the mornings too
  • sianywest23
    Options
    not having much luck this week my scales were busted so not even sure what my start weight was :( x
  • amemorte
    Options
    Good luck! When I lost weight about a year ago, I lost around 30 pounds in three months. I have no idea how I lost so much so fast but I will never try to lose weight that fast ever again. I was miserable. Worst thing EVER!
  • Mirimuffin
    Mirimuffin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs in around 3 months... even though I expected it to be much slower. Then again I ate only 1200 calories a day and worked out every day of the week. My weight loss has slowed down now that I'm halfway there. I wish it would still go this fast :(
  • Glenruth
    Glenruth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of November and have now lost 51lbs doing a meal replacement diet using Exante products. I also do 3 to 5 45 minute exercise sessions a week as well as walking the dog at weekends. Surprised myself that I do not feel hungry but though I set a target of 65lb loss I really do not know where I really want to get to. While it is still coming off quite easily I will just keep it going for a while.
  • sianywest23
    Options
    Thats amazing well done my friend has just started that meal replacement thing you are on I have considered it myself but think I would like to try and lose as much as I can the normal way first