Good carbs vs Bad carbs

Options
Ok i'm so sick of this battle with the carbs. i think i have it down only to find out that i don't. So i'm trying to lose at least 100lbs, and have been addicted to carbs most of my life. I have heard that when you go whole grain, or multi grain it's better for the blood sugar not to rise and cause you to hold on to the fat. So we find carbs in so many things, am i hurting my weight losse efforts when i fill up on fruit? Or put a banana in my oatmeal? When should i cut carbs out during the day?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My advice? Don't over-complicate things. It's just not worth the worry. You WILL lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit. There is NOTHING magical about eating or not eating carbs. Carbs are an energy source. Carbs are yummy. Refined carbs are NOT the devil, but carbs in fruit and veggies do come with an extra-bonus prize of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Carbs in whole grains have good vitamins, minerals, and fiber too. However, you are not going to hurt your weight loss efforts if you eat white bread, white rice, white sugar, or any other refined foods as long as you're running a calorie deficit.

Unless you're diabetic, it doesn't matter if your blood sugar spikes or doesn't spike. Unless you're diabetic, you're body will regulate your blood sugar without your help. It will store surplus energy as glycogen and fat. It will tap into that surplus later. Your body uses glucose for energy first, then glycogen, then fat/protein.

If you over-complicate things, you'll get frustrated and you'll give up on your diet.

So relax. Eat the banana. Eat the oatmeal. Enjoy your life and don't worry so much.
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you...that's what i thought but this young man at my job read me the riot act over it....now mind you he is trying to gain weight...not lose weight...LOL

:laugh: