Calories

Options
Why are the amount of calories on this site less than other sites. For example they ask on this site for 2060 calories for no weight loss. on Nutrition Data it asks for 2426 calories

Replies

• lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think they must use a different formula. Personally for me, the recommended calories are way too low. I add at least 300. To lose 1lb a week, MFP claims I need 1200 calories. I am eating 1500+ cal and losing more than this.

I'd say if you are worried, start with one of the higher estimate of what you need for maintenance or weight loss, and if it doesn't work, lower it slightly until it does?
  • dustinlsullivan
    Options
    It really depends on the formula. See http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ for details.

Basically the BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is the minimal amount of calories for your weight, height and age to lose no weight AND do absolutely nothing in a day, i.e. laid in bed and slept.

The BMR is multiplied for the different activity levels. This is where the different websites come up with different calorie requirements. Someone at a desk job versus a construction worker need diffent calories to keep the same weight. However, the discription of each vary greatly.

Personally, I set my calorie limit by using the sedentary level. Actually I implemented it into a spreadsheet so that I can adjust my calorie limit as I lose weight to stay within 1-1.15 pounds per week. I track exercise seperately. I try to "bank" the calories i burn just doing my job, which works since I am a desk worker that walks regularly supervising a lab.

Anyway, different formulas yield different results.